Habenero Ti vs *CARBON!*

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by beison, May 14, 2008.

1. beison

beison New Member

Ok. I am at a gridlock. I just don't know what to get. I'm a big sprinter who's looking to upgrade to a new bike that's not aluminum. I race, and the reason for this new bike, is strictly performance. I wanna go fast =P.

I've been doing a lot of research on frame material, and I think I've narrowed it down to carbon fiber, or titanium. I'm also a pretty poor college student, so the frame I get ain't gonna be breaking the bank. I have roughly a 800-1000 price limit on the frame Im gonna buy. This being the case, the only Ti bike I'm thinking about getting, is a Habenero Team Issue frame. Check em out at www.habcycles.com.
    Everything I've heard about Mark's frames, both from mark, as well as others are that it's a real stiff frame.

But it's still Titanium. I weigh 180lbs, and can throw down 1200-1400 watts in the final sprint. If a frame's "kinda stiff", it's not good enough.

Everyone's saying that carbon fiber's super stiff. Stiffer than Titanium. So I guess my question, was--does anyone have a Habenero team, and can you comment on it's flexibility?

If stiffness is my main concern, can I get something better in carbon fiber that's still in my price range of 800-1000 bucks (for the frameset)?

Everyone always fights over the different frame materials. Which one's best, which one's worst, blah blah blah. I'm not asking that. I wanna know if a Habby would do a good job in a race setting, compared to other bikes?

Another way to look at it--
    I clone myself right before a race. I get on a Habenero Team Ti bike and my clone gets on a carbon bike w/same components and wheels. We're kneck and kneck until 200m. Then we sprint. Would the Habenero be equal competition?

Thanks ya'll!

hehe on a side note... Boy is it fun to buy a new bike!!:D:D:D

Tags:

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Stiffness isn't everything. Sean Kelly rode a Vitus 979 for years and I can attest to those things being the bicycle equivalent too soggy Top Ramen but he still pulled off some impressive sprints and many classic victories. I'd be more worried about other traits like stability when sprinting at 40+ mph than, "is my bottom bracket deflecting 1.5" or 1.6"?"

3. Nasgul

Nasgul New Member

After having all 4 materials......Carbon hands down is the best overall.

My old Litespeed Tuscany wasn't exactly stiff, had a beefy downtube but when I went for a hard short sprint, I felt the flex in that area. With this new Carbon frame I have, no flex and smooth ride overall as well.

4. lohsnest

lohsnest New Member

5. Packeteer

Packeteer New Member

Please dont choose a frame by the material first. Choose what you want in a frame such as geometry first them choose material based on how much money you want to waste. You say you are a big sprinter but unless you are a pro cyclist you just aren't. The pro climbers, time trialists, and even the lowly domestiques probably put more energy into their frames than you or i ever will. Don't think that the frame is holding you back.

All this is coming from a guy who owns one of the best bikes money can buy. I dont regret buying a top of the line machine and here is the key reason why. I could afford it. I have two hobbies; riding my bike and having a nice bike. The two are nearly completely seperate.

Find a bike you like that is mostly importantly at a price you can afford. Someday when you have money to blow go get a really nice bike. My bike is a pleasure to ride but it wont make me win any races. That is up to my legs.

6. lohsnest

lohsnest New Member

Personally, I tend to agree more with Packeteer. I would look at the comfort and fit of your frame first before you even considering forking out the money for a nice titanium or Carbon frame. You could buy the best carbon/titanium frame around and if just doesn't fit properly, then you might as well have thrown it all away.

Furthermore, not all titanium or carbon frames are the same and if you are on a budget, then I would save your money for a nicer frame. Do not buy the cheapest you can find just for the sake of having one. Ultimately, it is the rider that makes the bike, and not the other way around.