HAC 4 vs HAC 5?

bing181

Oct 23, 2004
I've been using a HAC 4 for a while now, have a love/hate relationship with it.

Love the features, hate the unreliability. Now mine has stopped working altogether, so I'm looking at buying either another HAC 4 or a HAC 5.

Wondering then if anyone has moved on/up from the HAC 4 to a HAC 5, and whether the extra $$$ are worth it?

Thanks.

B

bing181 said:

Love the features, hate the unreliability. Now mine has stopped working altogether, so I'm looking at buying either another HAC 4 or a HAC 5.

Wondering then if anyone has moved on/up from the HAC 4 to a HAC 5, and whether the extra $$$ are worth it?

Thanks.

B
If your having reliability problems I'd have a look at the polar range

bing181 said:

Thanks.

B
I had one and it failed. I received a replacement from my LBS and it also had problems. I got my money back and bought a Garmin Edge 305. It is much better than the HAC 4. Why would you want to buy a Hack device. Just say no and get another product. If I were you I would look at the Edge, Polar and iBike.

vascdoc said:
I had one and it failed. I received a replacement from my LBS and it also had problems. I got my money back and bought a Garmin Edge 305. It is much better than the HAC 4. If I were you I would look at the Edge, Polar and iBike.

Thanks, but I've become rather addicted to the HAC's Power function .. OK, OK, not an actual power reading, but for all that, pretty close on hills and certainly reliable against itself.

Not convinced by the iBike in its present form, the Garmin doesn't have Power, not to mention questionable battery life from what I've read, and the Polar power solution still seems to have questions around it .. not to mention it's a lot more expensive than any of the HAC's.

Might try and stick with my HAC 4 for another season (at least the Power and basic functions work), in the hope that more affordable and reliable power solutions become available.

Thanks again for the input.

B