HAC4 / Hactronic Help?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Aztec, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Aztec

Aztec New Member

I bought the above and am SERIOUSLY struggling with it. How the heck do you get it to record, then delete, etc? And the software is just super-frustrating. Just when I think I have imported new data, nope, it's the same old stuff! The software looks perty, but c'mon, no user manual?????

Tags:

2. jtfleming

jtfleming New Member

Took me awhile to figure it out too..and I had the exact same problem....

1...repeat of data....what is happening here is you are beginning the ride by pressing the upper left and lower left keys at the same time to begin "recording." If, like me, when you get back from the ride, you want to upload the trip immediately, you have to hold those two keys again until the "mountain" stops flashing..this stops the recording. As long as it is recording, it will use the saved data from the prior trip. It actually records up to 64 hours if you don't stop it from recording.

2...user manual....I got one, but there is also one available on the web at http://www.hac4.com/downloads/cchac4.pdf.

I have figured out alot of it, but still not all of it myself. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate, but those were my 2 major problems too.

3. Aztec

Aztec New Member

That's the manual for the HAC4 -- I'm looking for a manual on the software. I'm thinking that there might not be one! Aer we just supposed to figure it all out? My god, what an investment of time!

Thanks for the recording answer. That worked.

4. jtfleming

jtfleming New Member

Yes, the software thing is a big boondoggle. If you take aq look at the list of shortcut keys, you will learn lots of the functions available. That is what I have been doing myself, but no, I have not seen anything that is a good guide to using the software. Good luck!

5. JSCORNO

JSCORNO New Member

Aztec-

I got one about 3 weeks ago and my learning curve was steep as well.

No, the 3 software pieces don't play well with one another but they're pretty good for tracking your rides. I've gotten into the HACtronic the most since it allows pretty easy comparison between sets of data.

The manual I got was translated to rough English from German and took a little getting used to.

Let me know what you're trying to track and I'll try to help figure it out. I'm still learning too.

-Jeff

6. lawyering

lawyering New Member

OK, back into this. I recently got the HAC4 and am struggling through its functions. One big question (to start with): What is the difference between Ciclotour, Ciclotrainer and Hactronic software? I can see the different functional options in each, but, why aren't they all combined? Why do I (apparently) have to upload the data from the head separately into each? Am I missing something? Please help me if you can.

7. JSCORNO

JSCORNO New Member

Once you upload the data, save it as a <pick-a-name>.dat file. Then point the other programs to that file to upload the data in to each program.

As far as I can tell the programs don't speak to one another beyond the ability of each to load data from this file.

I have found the most useful program to be the Ciclotrainer since it easily keeps track of all your rides as a singe profile.

8. lawyering

lawyering New Member

Thanks, I'll try that.

Also, for some reason my cadence data, while I see it in the Chart and Analysis view, I am unable to click on the cadence tab in the Graphics view.

9. JSCORNO

JSCORNO New Member

Check to see that you actually recorded cadence data. Do you see cadence data in the Chart view?

Send me a .dat file if you like and I'll see if I can see cadence info in the graphics view.

10. Rickw2

Rickw2 New Member

I've had my HAC4 for a little over a year, and after a week of frustration I called the Ciclosport guys in California. 10 minutes on the phone made a hig difference. The software has only got a few functions, so that wasn't much of a challenge. Like jtfleming said, just watch for the flashing mountains.

11. JSCORNO

JSCORNO New Member

Any luck getting the cadence tab to appear?:D

12. lawyering

lawyering New Member

I took the morning off this morning -- just couldn't get out of bed. I'll let you know tomorrow.

13. lawyering

lawyering New Member

I tried to install the speed sensor on the rear wheel with no luck -- too far from the head unit.

I then gave up being able to view the cadence data in the graphics view until yesterday morning.

I decided to skip the news and up the intensity with some music instead. I put on my headphones and placed my MP3 player just under the HAC4 head unit on my aero bars/magazine & towel holder (on the trainer). I noticed an anomoly in my heartrate data and figured that the MP3 player was interfering with the hrm signal and moved it.

When I downloaded the data to the Hactronic software, there was a blip on the heartrate at the time when I placed the MP3 near the HAC4. It also registered speed data for those few seconds which activated the speed and cadence data in the graphics view for the entire session - Viola!

I tested it this morning by using the speed sensor and a magnet and at the beginning of my recorded workout just passing the magnet by the sensor near the head unit until I saw a speed reading. When I downloaded the data, it worked.

Go figure.

14. JSCORNO

JSCORNO New Member

Very strange. Was your front wheel spinning when you recorded the speed data?

15. lawyering

lawyering New Member

No, I just put the sensor in one hand and the magnet in the other to get phantom data to see if it would activate something in the software, which is what apparently happened.

16. brent_a_kendall

brent_a_kendall New Member

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to clear the tours from the watch. I would prefer to do this versus wait until the 64 hour period come around to remove the first files. Please let me know.

Also do you know what type of program can be used to look at the .dat file.

17. Mark Andrews

Mark Andrews New Member

I have bad news...
    I had/have a HAC4 and it is totally crap.
    The recordings were crap and as you know the users manual was terrible.
    My HAC4 literally just died in my hands, the light turned on automatically for no reason and I could not turn it off until the battery eventually died (about 24 hours).
    There is a uk website specifically for the HAC4 which may help you, just do a search under MSN.

18. JSCORNO

JSCORNO New Member

I believe you set the totals (mileage, time, etc.) by pressing the upper right button and going to the 'r' function. This sets total back to 0. The tours however I haven't been able to figure out.

You can look at the .dat file with any text application (notepad, textpad). It's all in numeric Hac4-speak however.

19. jtfleming

jtfleming New Member

20. Aztec

Aztec New Member

I don't think you can clear it.

Why would you want to anyway?