Had a great ride this morning until I got home

64Paramount

Jul 25, 2009
..then I got off the bike and realized my bike bag wasn't zipped up.

Briefly, I went through a confused state wondering when I un-zipped it and what did I do with the garage door opener that I put in there before I started my ride...kinda one of those "Am I having a senior moment feelings"....then I realized I hadn't zipped it before I took off. :eek:

The only things left were my cell phone and a folded paper towel. My credit card, driver's license, money, spare tube, and tools were all gone.

I've done some dumb things in my life and this is definitely one of them.

At least the Missus was home so I could get in the house.

I did the same thing once. Lost all my ID and credit cards. I even went out in the car and retraced my route hoping to find my stuff but no luck.

And then the next day I got a call from a guy operating a street cleaner. He noticed it just as he was about to sweep it up (I had an elastic band around it all). What a relief......

I did it once too but I got lucky. My tire levers fell out just as I was taking off and hit the rear spokes hard enough to get my attention. Lesson learned: always check the bike bag before getting on the saddle. The one that I have now has a clip for the keys, a webbed pouch for ID and money or a small wallet, and an elastic band that holds the cell phone in place. All that I would lose from it is my tools, spare tube, and CO2 inflator.

You might want to disable your garage door opener or get the code changed. If someone finds your remote garage door opener and your drivers license, they can gain access to your garage and maybe your house sometime when you are not home.

I went searching in my car yesterday after I had called my credit card company to cancel that card, and I actually found my garage door opener. Just saw something laying along the shoulder of the road that looked like familier colors, so I stopped, walked back, and that's what it was.

I took the same route on my bike today just because I felt like I should, but I didn't find anymore of my stuff. I'm not surprised, there must have been a gazillion people walking/running/biking this weekend.

I did find a Cateye Astrale 8 bike computer, just the computer part. I can push the buttons and it changes displays just like it's supposed to, so I think it's working fine and must have just slipped out of it's mount somehow. Wish I had a way to get it back to it's owner..

64Paramount said:
I did find a Cateye Astrale 8 bike computer, just the computer part. I can push the buttons and it changes displays just like it's supposed to, so I think it's working fine and must have just slipped out of it's mount somehow. Wish I had a way to get it back to it's owner..
Maybe your local paper has a lost and found column, or tell your LBS about it. One of my LBS's has a bulletin board with a lot of lost and found bulletins on it.

Thanks Kd, I'll check with my bike shop to see if they have a lost and found board.

64Paramount said:
Thanks Kd, I'll check with my bike shop to see if they have a lost and found board.
Worst case scenario is you get a cateye for the cost of a magnet.

LB CYCLIST said:
damm sorry to hear that bro, hope they come back to you in the mail

LB, my driver's license, credit card, insurance card, and money all arrived in the mail today. I don't have a clue as to who sent it, but it was very kind of them to do so! :cool:

sweet! nice to hear that there's good people out there.

Same topic....I was out on Sunday and the SAME thing happened to me. I was on a really bumpy stretch of road out in the farm area. didn't i hear something fall out. sure enough, i stopped and my sac was opened. lost my CO2 inflator and my multitool. found both of them thank God within 100m of stopping.

A little advice. ALWAYS ZIP the zipper fullly down either side. NEVER zip both zips up to the top (12oclock position). A lot of people do this with backpacks too! Doing so can sometimes lead to accidental openings.

64Paramount said:
LB, my driver's license, credit card, insurance card, and money all arrived in the mail today. I don't have a clue as to who sent it, but it was very kind of them to do so! :cool:
thats whats up
atleast we know theirs still some honest people.

glad u got your goods back.

64Paramount said:
..then I got off the bike and realized my bike bag wasn't zipped up.

Briefly, I went through a confused state wondering when I un-zipped it and what did I do with the garage door opener that I put in there before I started my ride...kinda one of those "Am I having a senior moment feelings"....then I realized I hadn't zipped it before I took off. :eek:

The only things left were my cell phone and a folded paper towel. My credit card, driver's license, money, spare tube, and tools were all gone.

I've done some dumb things in my life and this is definitely one of them.

At least the Missus was home so I could get in the house.
Sadly, you'll have to tell the wife what happened to the credit card, sooner or later.
No man should have to endure that more than once! I feel for you.

As for senior moments, I call them "here-after" episodes. For example, I'll go out to he shop for something, stand there and ask, "Now what did I come in here after?"

You'll be more cautious next time, Im certain.

dahut said:
.......As for senior moments, I call them "here-after" episodes. For example, I'll go out to he shop for something, stand there and ask, "Now what did I come in here after?"

LOL, I've been having those "here-after" episodes for years. It usually happens right in the house, I go upstairs for something and then I can't remember what I went up there for. So, I go back downstairs and a few minutes later I'll remember what I wanted and go back upstairs.

I will admit I get a lot of exercise that way... :eek: :D

64Paramount said:
LOL, I've been having those "here-after" episodes for years. It usually happens right in the house, I go upstairs for something and then I can't remember what I went up there for. So, I go back downstairs and a few minutes later I'll remember what I wanted and go back upstairs.

I will admit I get a lot of exercise that way... :eek: :D
It is said that as we age our minds change, too. We get better at social interaction, cognitive reasoning and are more relaxed, generally.
But the short term memory starts to "burp," shall we say. So while we may be smarter and wiser, we cant remember what for. :D:D

Oh no. Yeah you always need to check these things before taking off. You have to pay attention. Its like locking the keys in the car when you first start driving at some point you have to pay attention.

As weird it sounds it may be kind of a good thing these kind mistakes happen since you can't learn if you don't do any mistakes. It is simple trial and error.

I have a bad habit of not double checking things like that either. I've lost quite a few valuables by either forgetting to zip up a bag or completely forgetting the bag all together. Lately, unless I absolutely HAVE to have something with me, I just leave it at home when I leave.

When I go riding I usually only take my mobile phone with me, everything else I leave at home as I'm one of those, careless people shall we say, and something like that would definitely happen to me if I took those items out with me.

You won't be the first it's happened to and you certainly won't be the last either so at least in future you'll double check everything!

CAMPYBOB said:
...5 years later...he still hasn't found spare tube.
A more amusing thought is 5 years later and he's still sitting on the doorstep waiting for the missus to get home...or it could be a depressing thought, whichever way you look at it I suppose... :unsure: