Had a nasty crash

AndiG

Sep 16, 2009
The other day a taxi driver was signalling right so I naturally speeded up to go past (UK Left hand side of the road) only to my horror he decided to turn left, I was doing about 20mph at the time. Was wondering what I can do to get this guy to realise you cant go doing stuff like this. Also it has knocked my confidence a bit and my front wheel wobbles slightly now. I hit him on his passenger side door pretty hard, got a badly bruised left arm, elbow and knee.

Finally any tips on getting back in the saddle.

No tips, but it is really going to suck since you won't end up with a big, nasty scar from the accident.

Chicks dig scars....

Andi, you can't do anything about other drivers except signal your intentions and ride defensively.

Don't trust that a car is turning until they are well committed to the turn, regardless of how they signal.

Don't trust that a car will yield to you just because the traffic laws say that they must do so.

When in doubt, regardless of who legally has the right of way, you yield, or stop, or take evasive action.

Then you can hop on the forum and tell us about it, and we'll curse that driver and all his ancestors whilst we have a beer. :)

What he said. Summed up in one sentence it goes something like this: assume everyone is out to kill you.

64Paramount said:
Chicks dig scars....

Andi, you can't do anything about other drivers except signal your intentions and ride defensively.

Don't trust that a car is turning until they are well committed to the turn, regardless of how they signal.

Don't trust that a car will yield to you just because the traffic laws say that they must do so.

When in doubt, regardless of who legally has the right of way, you yield, or stop, or take evasive action.

Then you can hop on the forum and tell us about it, and we'll curse that driver and all his ancestors whilst we have a beer. :)

I second that! You can never ever trust what a driver is going to do until he does it. Unfortunately, everyone is out to kill us.

I had a similar incident, where an old lady passed within inches (on an empty street) while I was pulling my son in a trailer. I gave her door a good smack and she completely ignored me.

Don't stay out of the saddle though! Keep on keepin' on and remember that when there are more cyclists on the road there are fewer accidents involving them.

It wont be keeping me out the saddle, after getting a new wheel and attaching it to my bike. It made me realise what I will have that these psycho drivers wont have..... My health, a good heart and lungs and plenty of stamina.