Had a spill yesterday...

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by Volnix, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Ok I went out for a 20km dash yesterday and it was just starting to rain.

I had the rear wheel slipping a couple of times but I managed to restabilize the bike.

But at some point on a long left turn, the bike just "slipped" on both wheels and it had a small "slide" on the side.

Bill so far

-2 Broken light brackets
    -A small road rash patch on my elbow

Maybe more I havent checked the bike yet...

Any ideas why that happened?

It never happened before... and I rode in the rain several times.

Was it the slime made due to road dust and the rain? Was it the tires? Was I going too fast?

I taking the turn with 30km/h when it happened.

Thanks! [​IMG]

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

It's impossible to say given the sparse information provided. It could have been caused by a contaminant on the road surface, too much speed, riding over a painted area, riding over a metal road structure, riding over sand or some other detritus, any number of other causes. Given that you said you had already lost traction a few times, it begs the question of why you didn't slow down, or did you slow down?

3. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

Ice?

It's a real concern around here now. Even the slightest amount of lean will drop you on ice, especially wet ice, without studded tires.

4. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Wasnt ice... It is around 12-20 Celcious around... I think it might have been dust that just got wet and turned into mud...

The tires are apparently still fine and they are kinda "knobby" on the sides too...

Maybe I had the bad luck of running on some oil spill at the same time too...

The thing just "slipped" and it didnt feel like a "slip possible" situation at the moment ... [​IMG]

(damn that flash brings out the iodine sizzle good [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Knobby? Why aren't you riding slicks on a road bike? Slicks provide the best traction no matter whether the conditions are wet or dry.

6. pinkride

pinkride New Member

Must have been the wet dirt, or slimme as you already said. I've been through the same situation thankfully suffering only a few minor injuries. Ever since when it rains I am extremely careful when I am out cycling.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I look at spill as an accident whatever the condition of the road may be. One time I was biking inside our village. The sun was good, quite cool weather, not much vehicles on the road. And suddenly I fell... a spill, yes. And what caused it? A pebble on the concrete that seemed to have made the tire slide causing me to lose my balance. It was fortunate of me to be quick in reacting otherwise I would have suffered bruises.

8. katherine25

katherine25 Member

This has happened to me once as well and I was over top of paint on the road. When it is raining the paint becomes a little more slippery so you have to watch where you are riding when the road is wet.