Had it up to *here* with Carnac shoes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Callas, May 15, 2003.

  1. Callas

    Callas Guest

    I bought a pair of high end Carnac road racing shoes about 1.5 years=20 ago.

    Recently (six months) having bought a trainer and got serious about=20 trying to get my cleats
    right, I've been doing a lot of adjustment.

    I am seriously pissed now, because the *eighth* cleat adapter has just=20 failed on me.

    The shoes have an adapter plate which varies depending on the cleat you=20 have.

    I have SPD-R.

    The way it works is that there is a big plastic plate which is screwed=20 into the base on the shoe,
    and between the plate and the shoe is a=20 smaller metal plate with two screw threads.

    The SPD-R screws screw into that metal plate.

    It survives about fifteen cleat screw tightenings and loosenings before=20 the thread fails.

    If you want a new plate, you have to buy a complete new adapter set. =20 It's not a huge expense -
    =A37.50 - but of course because the fecking shoe=
    =20
    has to be disassembled, *you're back where you started with your cleat=20 adjustment*.

    Last Friday the left metal plate failed. I put the spare I had in=20 (since I know they fail). That
    failed three adjustments later. No=20 cycling for three days - which is really what irriates most
    of all. I=20 ordered three new sets of cleat adapters on Saturday. They arrived=20 yesterday. I
    fitted the new left plate. I've done about three more=20 adjustments, and the *right* metal plate
    has just failed.

    Time to replace that one, so I've just used up once of these new sets=20 *already* AND my right
    cleat position - which was close to right - is=20 now lost. Of course, I know better now roughly
    what I'm aiming for, but=20 this is *not* acceptable performance.

    Two notes. First, I'm not over-tightening the screws. I *really* know=20 how much they can take,
    from practise; and if I do them any looser the=20 cleat moves when the shoe is taken out from the
    pedal. Second, you=20 can't contact Carnac, except by snail mail - not impressive.

    My advice; don't buy Carnac shoes if you have difficultly getting your=20 cleat position right.

    --
    Callas

    Tags:

  2. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Callas <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I am seriously pissed now, because the *eighth* cleat adapter has just failed on me.

    Oh good. Maybe I can stop coveting a pair now. The silver tongued John Deering warned me never to
    try a pair on. As long as I haven't tried them on I'll be perfectly happy. The moment I try them on,
    however, I will be miserable because I will immediately buy them and it's far more than I want to
    pay for a pair of shoes. That's what he says anyway.

    --
    Dave...

  3. Callas

    Callas Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Callas <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > I am seriously pissed now, because the *eighth* cleat adapter has just failed on me.
    >
    > Oh good. Maybe I can stop coveting a pair now. The silver tongued John Deering warned me never to
    > try a pair on. As long as I haven't tried them on I'll be perfectly happy. The moment I try them
    > on, however, I will be miserable because I will immediately buy them and it's far more than I want
    > to pay for a pair of shoes. That's what he says anyway.

    They're very comfy, which is why I bought them. Definetely more comfy than the top of the range
    Shimao shoes of the time.

    I was chatting to an ex-competitive racer at the LBS. He had the same problems; he used Carnacs for
    one season and then said "blow this for a lark" and moved on.

    --
    Callas