Haggling on Price of Bikes?

c_hayhurst

Jul 25, 2004
I live in Columbus, Ohio and am considering purchasing a brand new Specialized Rockhard. The list price on the manufacturer's website is $610, and the retailer has it tagged for $599. Are bike prices something that can be haggled over? I am thinking it may, but would like to know ahead of time so I don't look like an a$$. If the price is negotiable, how much can I expect to get taken off? Thanks in advance for your input.

c_hayhurst said:
I live in Columbus, Ohio and am considering purchasing a brand new Specialized Rockhard. The list price on the manufacturer's website is $610, and the retailer has it tagged for $599. Are bike prices something that can be haggled over? I am thinking it may, but would like to know ahead of time so I don't look like an a$$. If the price is negotiable, how much can I expect to get taken off? Thanks in advance for your input.
You bet. Not sure what the best % off deal you can get on a $600 bike. I do think it makes a difference. Higher end (a.k.a $$$$) bikes, I think have more margin. That's just my experience. Last year I paid $2400 for a loaded Rocky ETSX-70 (MSRP $3400, on sale for $2800) and my last hardtail in 1996 was a Trek 9700 that I got for $1300 and I believe at the time it went for $1800. Of course, I think it makes a huge difference WHEN you buy. Both times, I purchased in the fall on current year models. When I bought my Trek 5200 new four years ago, I was only able to get a couple hundred off - and that was in April.

My guess is that you may be able to get 5-10% off this time of year and maybe a deal on some accessories..

Best of Luck!

c_hayhurst said:
Last year I was seriously looking at the HardRock Comp model. That frame looks pretty beefy! Ended up getting something else though.

If you wait until the '05 models hit the floor you may be able to pick up an '04 at a much better price.

Some bigger chains do not have the ability to negotiate, nor even swap parts because they have a set inventory and report to higher up.

I used to manage a Performance Bike store. We HATED people who came in and started asking for more money off an already discounted or sale bike. We really were discouraged from marking down bikes for a number of different reasons.

One we had the lowest price bike around and we knew it. If you showed up with an ad out of a paper or off the internet we'd verify that it was in stock at that store or outlet, then figure in shipping and match that price.

Two we had contracts with our vendors that stated outright that we couldnt sell a product below a certain price no matter what. We almost always priced our products very close to that point. Usually these minimum prices stop when the new models hit the stores.

Three bikes arent really were the margin is. Tubes cost a store about .90 wholesale. How much did you spend on your last one. Almost $5, if you didnt get it on sale I'd bet. Bikes are the vehicle to accessories, this is where you can find the bargins.

If a store has an outragous deal on a certain bike, it's probably cuz they bought a truck load at a special deal from the vender and both are trying to dump them.

If you really need to get a break on stuff, try to see if you can pick up a deal on the add-ons, shorts, jerseys, bottles, cages, etc. Also if they have a buyers program, if you cant get a free membership, its usuall y worth it. you'll be back.

At the end of the day thogh the best thing is *not* to bargin. Support your local bike shop. They're not getting rich, and your only making it harder. If you support them and they get to know you, your bike, and your habits, they will provide you with priority service and sport you deals as they come up. In the end you'll end up saving more money by letting them give you the discount for being loyal and respectful to the professional relationship that is vender/customer, than you will being a pain in the neck.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP

former Performance Store Manager

Doctor Morbius said:
Last year I was seriously looking at the HardRock Comp model. That frame looks pretty beefy! Ended up getting something else though.

If you wait until the '05 models hit the floor you may be able to pick up an '04 at a much better price.
When do new model years get released? What month or season?

salsa rider, good to read your post, it adds another perspective.

let me tell my recent interesting experience in looking at new bikes.

i had casually looked at trek 5200 locally. MSRP $2750 discounted to $2500.
i got the impression take was like many other retail items: take it or leave it.
virtually no price diff between MANY trek dealers here in metro atlanta (BIG market)

i was visiting my parents in a smaller town. the sat the tour started,
i went to a couple of LBS just to look around and kick tires.
one was a fairly high volume trek dealer as well as a full service outdoor shop.

right inside the door was the july (tour) special:
brand spanking new 04 5200's in double or triple for $2050. even several 56's avail.
i thought wow, thats a deal. are they new? full warranty? auth dealer? yes,yes,yes.
he also had similar discounts on some kestrels and kleins. i almost bit on the spot.

i came back home, chewed on the offer for a while, and decided to call MY lbs.
i called 4 local dealers and explained the offer, and asked if they wanted my business.
3 basically said no, $2500 is our price, no ifs ands or buts.
i WENT to my closest LBS and talked to the manager and laid it out for him.
he said yes, he wants my biz, but needed to confirm that price with the other shop,
and would NOT qoute me a price before, meaning i knew he would offer in the middle.
i explained that i wanted them to be MY lbs, and was willing to pay more $ for that.
but in the end, it was not to be. they didnt want MY biz, and my $ went elsewhere.

the moral of the story is (as seen from my perspective)

a brand spanking new 5200 CAN be sold at $2050 and the shop make money.
the contractual "minimum" from the OEM that they quote is most likely false.
(and yes, i understand that min probably varies based on the dealer volume)

and most importantly: in this age of the internet and information wealth,

any shop that thinks the "average" joe walking in to spend $1000 - $3000
for a new bicycle that has not done some poking around for the "best" price
is sadly underestimating the consumers desire to get the perceived best deal.

i DO understand the value of the LBS, and have on many occasions,
paid more for items at the LBS than i could have obtained them elsewhere.

im NOT the guy who mail-orders tubes, and then goes to LBS to borrow a pump!