Hail Hans!!!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Clovis Lark, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    Has RBR gone senile? Accolades for Hans DeClercq, 4hrs48mins in arears. After the French Open
    Belgium can cheer another great achievement in this year's Lanterne Rouge!!!!!!!!!! I believe the
    man has earned a case of Cap'n Morgan's Spiced Rum and two hours of touchy feely on the OLN set with
    Kirsten Gum(by)!

    Tags:

  2. Bart

    Bart Guest

    "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has RBR gone senile? Accolades for Hans DeClercq, 4hrs48mins in arears.

    That's about the duration of a stage. It's been a while since the lanterne rouge was that
    impressive I think.

    However, the outcome of the final Aussie twisting and leaning match has made his Tour a
    failure. Too bad.

  3. Benjo Maso

    Benjo Maso Guest

    "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has RBR gone senile? Accolades for Hans DeClercq, 4hrs48mins in arears. After the French Open
    > Belgium can cheer another great achievement in this year's Lanterne Rouge!!!!!!!!!! I believe the
    > man has earned a case of Cap'n Morgan's Spiced Rum and two hours of touchy feely on the OLN set
    > with Kirsten Gum(by)!

    Hans De Clerq is a real hero. He used to a completely unknown B-rider until last year -at 33- he got
    a contract with Lotto and was selected for the Tour to help Robby McEwen. In the last mountain stage
    (Aime-Cluses; 142 km) he was immediately left behind after the start. During 120 km long he was only
    50 to 100 m behind the last group, but unable to fill the gap. He yelled again and again, but nobody
    heard him. Almost every rider would have abandoned, but he continued. At the last climb he was
    completely exhausted and the gap between him and the last group widened dangerously. And yet he
    managed to finish just within the time limit.

    Benjo Maso

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Has RBR gone senile? Accolades for Hans DeClercq, 4hrs48mins in arears.
    >
    > That's about the duration of a stage. It's been a while since the lanterne rouge was that
    > impressive I think.
    >
    > However, the outcome of the final Aussie twisting and leaning match has
    made
    > his Tour a failure. Too bad.

    Yeah, it is too bad for Botero. I think he was making a run at the Prix Lanterne Rouge before he
    overextended his efforts and went home.

  5. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    benjo maso <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Has RBR gone senile? Accolades for Hans DeClercq, 4hrs48mins in arears. After the French Open
    >> Belgium can cheer another great achievement in this year's Lanterne Rouge!!!!!!!!!! I believe the
    >> man has earned a case of Cap'n Morgan's Spiced Rum and two hours of touchy feely on the OLN set
    >> with Kirsten Gum(by)!

    > Hans De Clerq is a real hero. He used to a completely unknown B-rider until last year -at 33- he
    > got a contract with Lotto and was selected for the Tour to help Robby McEwen. In the last mountain
    > stage (Aime-Cluses; 142 km) he was immediately left behind after the start. During 120 km long he
    > was only 50 to 100 m behind the last group, but unable to fill the gap. He yelled again and again,
    > but nobody heard him. Almost every rider would have abandoned, but he continued. At the last climb
    > he was completely exhausted and the gap between him and the last group widened dangerously. And
    > yet he managed to finish just within the time limit.

    That's one thing people forget, more often than not, the lanterne rouge is an extremely dedicated
    rider who may lose form working for the team, YET manages to persist, meeting the time deadlines and
    not abandoning. In a sense, it deserves some mention as it reminds all of those who have raced over
    the past 100 years with no hope of trophy. Indeed, there should be trophy: Le Trophee Millocheau,
    named for Arsène Millocheau who finished 64 hours and 47 minutes behind winner Maurice Garin in
    1903. Perhaps a bicycle with square wheels?