Hair

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire Petersky, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. The times when I've had long hair, I wasn't riding much, I was doing aerobics. The times in my life
    when I've been riding, generally, I had hair like this:
    http://www.life.com/Life/covers/1955/cv071855.html

    Now, I've been growing it out, and it looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/8b88

    I've been dealing with it so far by wearing a head band, which at least pulls the hair off of the
    face. If it's cold, I eschew the band, and pull the hair down over my ears, and the helmet straps
    hold my hair in place, keeping them toasty warm.

    But the hair is getting poofy enough, cramming it under the helmet with a band just isn't going to
    cut it for long. I already wear a size XL in helmets as it is.

    I've tried the pigtail thing. The nice thing about pigtails is you can stick them out of the helmet
    straps just behind your ears. Downside, this looks dorky. Even my 10 year old can tell you that
    pigtails make you look juvenile. But this nice part of this hairstyle is that it keeps the hair off
    of the back of your neck -- when the weather turns warm, I can see how this could be a real
    advantage.

    Suggestions? Superficial conversation is greatly appreciated right now -- I'd rather talk about
    hairstyles than Rumsfeld.

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm Singing with you at: http://www.tiferet.net/ Books
    just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

    Tags:

  2. R.H.

    R.H. Guest

    mmmmmmmmmmm........ Audrey ......sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    --
    ______________________________________

    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
    ______________________________________
    > The times when I've had long hair, I wasn't riding much, I was doing aerobics. The times in my
    > life when I've been riding, generally, I had hair like this:
    > http://www.life.com/Life/covers/1955/cv071855.html
    >
    > Now, I've been growing it out, and it looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/8b88
    >
    > I've been dealing with it so far by wearing a head band, which at least pulls the hair off of the
    > face. If it's cold, I eschew the band, and pull the hair down over my ears, and the helmet straps
    > hold my hair in place, keeping them toasty warm.
    >
    > But the hair is getting poofy enough, cramming it under the helmet with a band just isn't going to
    > cut it for long. I already wear a size XL in helmets as it is.
    >
    > I've tried the pigtail thing. The nice thing about pigtails is you can stick them out of the
    > helmet straps just behind your ears. Downside, this looks dorky. Even my 10 year old can tell you
    > that pigtails make you look juvenile. But this nice part of this hairstyle is that it keeps the
    > hair off of the back of your neck -- when the weather turns warm, I can see how this could be a
    > real advantage.
    >
    > Suggestions? Superficial conversation is greatly appreciated right now -- I'd rather talk about
    > hairstyles than Rumsfeld.
    >
    > Warm Regards,
    >

    > Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm Singing with you at: http://www.tiferet.net/
    > Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

    ---

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    [email protected] (Claire Petersky) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > I've tried the pigtail thing. The nice thing about pigtails is you can stick them out of the
    > helmet straps just behind your ears. Downside, this looks dorky.

    Are you male or female? I don't think pigtails look dorky on women. For men, it isn't any more dorky
    than really long hair.

  4. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "R.H." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > mmmmmmmmmmm........ Audrey ......sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh

    > "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
    > ______________________________________

    My thoughts exactly... ;-)

    --
    Scott Anderson

  5. On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:23:53 -0500, Claire Petersky wrote:

    > The times when I've had long hair, I wasn't riding much, I was doing aerobics. The times in my
    > life when I've been riding, generally, I had hair like this:
    > http://www.life.com/Life/covers/1955/cv071855.html
    >
    > Now, I've been growing it out, and it looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/8b88

    Hello, Rosanne Rosanna-dana. I liked the Audry Hepburn look, better, myself

    > I've tried the pigtail thing. The nice thing about pigtails is you can stick them out of the
    > helmet straps just behind your ears. Downside, this looks dorky.

    Roseanne Rosana-dana in pigtails? Shudder

    Even my 10 year old can tell you that pigtails make
    > you look juvenile. But this nice part of this hairstyle is that it keeps the hair off of the back
    > of your neck -- when the weather turns warm, I can see how this could be a real advantage.
    >
    > Suggestions? Superficial conversation is greatly appreciated right now -- I'd rather talk about
    > hairstyles than Rumsfeld.

    Well, I vote for Audry. I keep my own hair short enough to comb with my fingers and forget about.
    Much easier that way. Helmets don't mess it up or anything.

    So, maybe we can talk about Rumsfeld and your hair at once: cut it off.

    Just my opinion. Do we get to vote? Would the votes count (another reference to Rummie and company)?

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. -- _`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
    (_)/ (_) |

  6. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Claire Petersky wrote:

    > Suggestions? Superficial conversation is greatly appreciated right now -- I'd rather talk about
    > hairstyles than Rumsfeld.

    Is your hair long enough for a pony tail yet? A pony tail, sticking out the hole between the helmet
    and the helmet strap thingy, is very cute. The same look works great when wearing a baseball cap.

  7. Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Even my 10 year old can tell you that pigtails make you look juvenile.

    claire, this is .. not .. a .. bad .. thing!
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  8. >Suggestions? Superficial conversation is greatly appreciated right now -- I'd rather talk about
    >hairstyles than Rumsfeld.

    How about Rumsfeld's hair style, it hasn't changed in 20 years.

    Uptight, greasy, and white all over.

    Or it would be if he didn't dye it.

    I think you should accept that the Rosannadanna look really doesn't need a helmet to work on
    a bicycle.

    the Texas Elvis"------------------

  9. Hunrobe

    Hunrobe Guest

    >[email protected] (Claire Petersky)

    wrote in part:

    [lots of snippage regarding hair styles]

    >Suggestions? Superficial conversation is greatly appreciated right now -- I'd rather talk about
    >hairstyles than Rumsfeld.

    If superficial conversation's your goal, you're definitely in the right place- usenet. <g> I
    remember having extremely long and bushy hair- think Robert Plant or Keith Richards long- and it's a
    pain. I doubt the solution chosen for me at the time would work for you though. Men with crew cuts
    look military. Women with crew

    (Does using the term "wedge" qualify as cycling content? <g>)

    Regards, Bob Hunt

  10. >The times when I've had long hair, I wasn't riding much, I was doing aerobics.

    I have long hair &cycle, don't do aerobics ;-)

    My hair length is down to the middle of my back. For cycling I just pull it into a ponytailat the
    nape of my neck - I ususally secure it by means of a stretch terry loop of some fluorescent colour.
    Not exactly the most stylish of hairdos, but effective for cycling ;-)

    For non-cycling times, I too often wear a hairband, or do more complicated stuff. But for cycling,
    it's a ponytail. I find my hair helps keep the bonce warm under a helmet in winter & cool in summer.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  11. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    Claire wrote: <hairstyles> I've gone with the Geraldine Ferraro/Diana Spencer/Jennifer Granholm look
    for about, oh, thirty years now. Highly recommend it. Fits under a helmet, wash'n'wear, looks OK
    windblown, yet fancies up for that credit card island tour. (Did you ever post a picture of the
    dress you ended up taking?) Have tried accessories. They are a pain, esp trying to find a spot in
    the h*lm*t where the barrettes don't leave a dent. Your girl's got the right idea about pigtails.
    And as an urban cyclist who usually rides alone with my XX chromosomes, I'd just as soon not
    campaign the bike diva, biker chick, or dirt grrrl look. If they can't tell I'm female, they
    generally don't bother me. Pigtails and their ilk pretty much scream "I'm a girl! Here for your
    ogling and wisecracking pleasure!"

    HTH --Karen M. note to poster questioning Claire's gender: she's female; read this NG more often

  12. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    [email protected] (Claire Petersky) wrote:

    > The nice thing about pigtails is you can stick them out of the helmet straps just behind your
    > ears. Downside, this looks dorky.

    A cyclist who's worried about looking "dorky".... that just doesn't quite add up for me :)

    I rode in to work this morning: it was 20 degrees Fahrenheit and I was wearing dorky tights, two
    pairs of dorky wool socks under my dorky clipless shoes, a dorky baclava under my dorky white
    helmet, dorky fleece gloves and a dorky fleece top. I even walked into Kinko's last night in this
    getup on my way home from work.

    This is on my commuter rig which is a spray-painted 16-year-old road bike with retro six-speed
    freehub cassette, old-style downtube non-indexed shifters, dorky rear rack, dorky generator, and
    dorky cable-lock wrapped around my seat post. There's a little bit of chain clanking on the front
    derailler because my chainring spider is bent (victim of collision with station wagon in 1988). THAT
    is dorky, even to other cyclists.

    For whatever it's worth, I think it's kinda cute to see pigtails peaking out from underneath a
    dorky helmet.

    :)

    RFM, Dork Extraordinaire

  13. > would work for you though. Men with crew cuts look military. Women with crew cuts look like
    > concentration camp inmates.

    With the *notable* exception of Renee Falconetti in "The Passion of Joan of Arc" (C.T. Dreyer,
    director; 1928).

    Go with Audrey.

    -Luigi

    "Your cuteness wol slee me sodenly, The beautee of it I might not sustene"

    - apologies to Geoff Chaucer

  14. "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > I've tried the pigtail thing. The nice thing about pigtails is you can stick them out of the
    > helmet straps just behind your ears. Downside, this looks dorky. Even my 10 year old can tell you
    > that pigtails make you look juvenile. But this nice part of this hairstyle is that it keeps the
    > hair off of the back of your neck -- when the weather turns warm,

    Claire, from what I see from women roadies you should have your hair very short and get lots of very
    bright colour going on.

    I've seen riders like Valentina Polkanova, Zinaida Stahurskaia, and Francesca Castrucci doing that
    look, so you should be ok.

    I remember last year you said your daughter got some Rabobank kit, Dutch female riders go for the
    short very bright look at events. They have their hair done in either their team colours or country
    colours depending on what kind of event they are riding.

    For Rabobank go with a good orange job and crop it short.

    Just be very, very careful you don't go too far with this and end up looking like one of those
    She/Males that race at the San Deigo track, Jon Isaacs and Mike S know what I mean.

  15. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
    <[email protected]> writes:

    > I've seen riders like Valentina Polkanova, Zinaida Stahurskaia, and Francesca Castrucci doing that
    > look, so you should be ok.

    Remember Paola Pezzo?

    No, I guess you probably don't. Except for the unzipped jersey thing, and I just remember the big
    production that was made out of it. Well, and a couple of other things.

    Claire -- long hair just doesn't work on bikes. Especially when ya gotta wear helmets. I fought the
    fight, and lost. But at least I no longer have a ponytail trickling rain down that valley in the
    centre of my back <ugh>. I no longer have to wear cycling glasses primarily to keep forelocks outa
    my eyes. And, I can hear stuff again.

    The cycling lifestyle requires adaptations. Maybe thinking of them as "badges" helps.

    cheers, Tom