Hal Higdon's Novice program

Steve Pretti

Guest
For week seven it says:

Saturday: Run long. Twelve miles. You have now doubled the distance of your
longest run in the previous six weeks.

But the longest distance in the previous six weeks is 10 miles. It doesn't
make sense. Just a typo? Or am I misunderstanding the statement?

Thanks,

Steve

It means the first long run (ie the longest run of that week), which
was six miles, right?

Mandy

Yes, I suspect that is what he meant to say. But if I was writing that I
would say "You have now doubled the distance of your longest run in the
previous week" not "You have now doubled the distance of your longest run in
the previous six weeks."

Thanks

news:[email protected]...

Steve Pretti wrote:

> For week seven it says:
>
> Saturday: Run long. Twelve miles. You have now doubled the distance of your
> longest run in the previous six weeks.
>
> But the longest distance in the previous six weeks is 10 miles. It doesn't
> make sense. Just a typo? Or am I misunderstanding the statement?

He starts you with a long run of 6 miles in wk 1. By wk 7, you are
running 12 mi long, which is 2x6. Hence you doubled the distance of your
long run in the previous 6 wks. At least that's the way I'd interpret it.

Dot

--
"It's not football, but it is trail running." - Julie Udchachon, Women's
US 50k trail champion 2005

I agree that is probably what he meant to say - "you have doubled the
distance of your longest run from the first week."

- Steve

"Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Steve Pretti wrote:
>
>> For week seven it says:
>>
>> Saturday: Run long. Twelve miles. You have now doubled the distance of
>> your longest run in the previous six weeks.
>>
>> But the longest distance in the previous six weeks is 10 miles. It
>> doesn't make sense. Just a typo? Or am I misunderstanding the statement?
>>

> He starts you with a long run of 6 miles in wk 1. By wk 7, you are running
> 12 mi long, which is 2x6. Hence you doubled the distance of your long run
> in the previous 6 wks. At least that's the way I'd interpret it.
>
> Dot
>
> --
> "It's not football, but it is trail running." - Julie Udchachon, Women's
> US 50k trail champion 2005

There are more than just this one error in the individual explanations
.... but if you compare those with the data chart, which does not have
numerical errors, you can figure out what it is supposed to say. In
other words, the chart trumps the daily blurbs. Incidentally, Higdon
mentions throughout his discourse that minor aberrations are fine,
provided the long run schedule is followed religiously and extra miles
are not heaped on.

John

Got it - I will just follow the mileage religiously and not let my inner
editor out.

Thanks all.

- Steve

On 2 Sep 2005 19:19:10 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> I'm *not* inspired to
>cheat ... at least on those!

Very good! Now work on that 'cheating on your wife with another man'
and you're golden!

TBR

White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
"Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."