Hal Higdon's Novice program

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Steve Pretti, Aug 31, 2005.

  1. Steve Pretti

    Steve Pretti Guest

    For week seven it says:

    Saturday: Run long. Twelve miles. You have now doubled the distance of your
    longest run in the previous six weeks.

    But the longest distance in the previous six weeks is 10 miles. It doesn't
    make sense. Just a typo? Or am I misunderstanding the statement?

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. Mandy

    Mandy Guest

    It means the first long run (ie the longest run of that week), which
    was six miles, right?

    Mandy

  3. Steve Pretti

    Steve Pretti Guest

    Yes, I suspect that is what he meant to say. But if I was writing that I
    would say "You have now doubled the distance of your longest run in the
    previous week" not "You have now doubled the distance of your longest run in
    the previous six weeks."

    Thanks

    "Mandy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > It means the first long run (ie the longest run of that week), which
    > was six miles, right?
    >
    > Mandy

  4. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Steve Pretti wrote:

    > For week seven it says:
    >
    > Saturday: Run long. Twelve miles. You have now doubled the distance of your
    > longest run in the previous six weeks.
    >
    > But the longest distance in the previous six weeks is 10 miles. It doesn't
    > make sense. Just a typo? Or am I misunderstanding the statement?

    He starts you with a long run of 6 miles in wk 1. By wk 7, you are
    running 12 mi long, which is 2x6. Hence you doubled the distance of your
    long run in the previous 6 wks. At least that's the way I'd interpret it.

    Dot

    --
    "It's not football, but it is trail running." - Julie Udchachon, Women's
    US 50k trail champion 2005

  5. Steve Pretti

    Steve Pretti Guest

    I agree that is probably what he meant to say - "you have doubled the
    distance of your longest run from the first week."

    - Steve

    "Dot" <[email protected]#duh?att.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Steve Pretti wrote:
    >
    >> For week seven it says:
    >>
    >> Saturday: Run long. Twelve miles. You have now doubled the distance of
    >> your longest run in the previous six weeks.
    >>
    >> But the longest distance in the previous six weeks is 10 miles. It
    >> doesn't make sense. Just a typo? Or am I misunderstanding the statement?
    >>

    > He starts you with a long run of 6 miles in wk 1. By wk 7, you are running
    > 12 mi long, which is 2x6. Hence you doubled the distance of your long run
    > in the previous 6 wks. At least that's the way I'd interpret it.
    >
    > Dot
    >
    > --
    > "It's not football, but it is trail running." - Julie Udchachon, Women's
    > US 50k trail champion 2005

  6. There are more than just this one error in the individual explanations
    .... but if you compare those with the data chart, which does not have
    numerical errors, you can figure out what it is supposed to say. In
    other words, the chart trumps the daily blurbs. Incidentally, Higdon
    mentions throughout his discourse that minor aberrations are fine,
    provided the long run schedule is followed religiously and extra miles
    are not heaped on.

    John

  7. Steve Pretti

    Steve Pretti Guest

    Got it - I will just follow the mileage religiously and not let my inner
    editor out.

    Thanks all.

    - Steve

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > There are more than just this one error in the individual explanations
    > ... but if you compare those with the data chart, which does not have
    > numerical errors, you can figure out what it is supposed to say. In
    > other words, the chart trumps the daily blurbs. Incidentally, Higdon
    > mentions throughout his discourse that minor aberrations are fine,
    > provided the long run schedule is followed religiously and extra miles
    > are not heaped on.
    >
    > John

  8. I am discovering that as the long runs increase, I'm *not* inspired to
    cheat ... at least on those! ;-P

  9. On 2 Sep 2005 19:19:10 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    > I'm *not* inspired to
    >cheat ... at least on those!

    Very good! Now work on that 'cheating on your wife with another man'
    and you're golden!

    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."