Hald DIes of Trauma

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Twittering One, Apr 1, 2006.

  1. Wily Coyote Dies Before Release Into the Wild
    By JAMES BARRON,
    The New York Times

    (April 1) - Hal, the coyote who led park rangers and police officers on
    a two-day chase in Central Park last month, died on Thursday, moments
    before he was to be released in a thousand-acre state forest in Putnam
    County. He was about a year old.

    He spent the last week of his life in the care of wildlife
    rehabilitators on Long Island. They turned him over to state biologists
    on

    "He was in good shape when he left me," one of the handlers, Rebecca
    Asman, said yesterday. "Maybe there were other things going on inside
    of Hal. He looked good to us. As far as outward appearance, he was
    eating very well and he was very calm, but coyotes are by nature very
    calm."

    The state biologists took him about 60 miles north of Manhattan to the
    California Hill State Forest in Putnam County, near Kent, N.Y., Ms.
    DeMarco said. There, she said, Hal stopped breathing when the
    biologists and Cornell University graduate researchers restrained him
    to put an identification tag on his ear.

    She said that a soft muzzle had been placed around Hal's snout, but it
    did not cover his nose. His legs had also been restrained, but he had
    not been tranquilized, she said.

    Tags:

  2. "Hal The Wily Coyote
    A fan of Shakespeare's Globe ~
    Hal The Wily Coyote
    Came to town, just 1 year old,
    He sang his canine song.

    Hal the suburban Wily Coyote
    Loped on down to New York City
    Trotting down from upstate Westchester.

    Hal The Wily Suburbanite
    Spent a few Manhattan nights
    Signed in [clandestinely] at The Plaza Hotel.

    Hal The Wily Intellectual
    Trotted gaily downtown
    For a performance of 'Your In Town.'

    Hal trotted over, too, just beyond
    The Great White Way,
    To catch a sniff of Falstaff
    Barking the light of a silver moon
    At Belvedere Castle's Shakespearean Globe.

    Hal caught sight of Oberon, too,
    Scheming a Midsummer Night's Dream,
    If late, in winter ~ Playing
    Nice with Shakespeare in Central Park ~ !

    O but Hal, a wayward Westchester
    Coyote, got caught ~
    O Hal got caught by The Dog Catcher.
    Hal got a shot of tranquilizer.
    Hal's going back to Westchester.

    O but now Hal's a wiser
    Intellectual, a coyote familiar
    With William Shakespeare
    And The Silver Light of New York City.
    Hal says he's coming back, too ~ !"
    ~ Merrylegs

    "O Hal got caught by The Dog Catcher.
    Hal got a shot of tranquilizer.
    Hal got chased down
    By a Pack of Hash House Harriers, too.

    O but now Hal's a wiser canine traveler.
    Hal's going back to Westchester ~
    But not without a glossy copy
    Of Conde Nasty's Canine Traveler."
    ~ Mer Loleil

    ~ * ~
    Blog, I'll warrant ye, or dog? Who knows. Pass the grog!
    But if ye see me lost pup, please bring that scurvy dog home!
    I got Leon a brand-new bone, with a chest full a' booty.
    _________________
    http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo

  3. April 1, 2006
    Hal Coyote, 1, Dies; Romped in the Park
    By JAMES BARRON

    Hal, the coyote who led park rangers and police officers on a two-day
    chase in Central Park last month, died on Thursday, moments before he
    was to be released in a thousand-acre state forest in Putnam County. He
    was about a year old.

    The cause of death had not been determined, Gabrielle DeMarco, a
    spokeswoman for the state Department of Environmental Conservation,
    said yesterday.

    Hal's birthplace was unknown, as was his birthday. After his romp in
    the park, Adrian Benepe, the city's parks commissioner, speculated that
    Hal had fled Westchester County, wandering across the railroad bridge
    that connects the Bronx and Manhattan at Spuyten Duyvil. From there,
    Mr. Benepe said, Hal could have sauntered down the West Side and into
    Central Park.

    He had the run of the park for a few days before parks officials
    cornered him at the Hallett Nature Sanctuary, not far from the Wollman
    Rink and the carousel. He leaped over their heads and spent another
    night on the loose before being felled by a tranquilizer dart fired by
    a police officer.

    He spent the last week of his life in the care of wildlife
    rehabilitators on Long Island. They turned him over to state biologists
    on Thursday.

    "He was in good shape when he left me," one of the handlers, Rebecca
    Asman, said yesterday. "Maybe there were other things going on inside
    of Hal. He looked good to us. As far as outward appearance, he was
    eating very well and he was very calm, but coyotes are by nature very
    calm."

    The state biologists took him about 60 miles north of Manhattan to the
    California Hill State Forest in Putnam County, near Kent, N.Y., Ms.
    DeMarco said. There, she said, Hal stopped breathing when the
    biologists and Cornell University graduate researchers restrained him
    to put an identification tag on his ear.

    She said that a soft muzzle had been placed around Hal's snout, but it
    did not cover his nose. His legs had also been restrained, but he had
    not been tranquilized, she said.

    She said a necropsy would be conducted to ascertain the cause of Hal's
    death. "For an animal to die during standard tagging procedure is
    rare," Ms. DeMarco said. "We're hoping the necropsy procedure will shed
    light on Hal's overall health and whether previous stress on the animal
    during his chase through the park contributed to his death."

    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/01/nyregion/01coyote.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

  4. March 31, 2006
    Hal, the Central Park Coyote, Dies
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Filed at 10:30 p.m. ET

    ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- Hal, the coyote who paid a visit to New York City
    and was captured as he loped around Central Park, died as he was being
    tagged for release in the wild, a state official said Friday.

    The coyote stopped breathing Thursday night during the routine tagging
    procedure and biologists could not revive him, said Gabrielle DeMarco,
    spokeswoman for the state Department of Environmental Conservation.

    Pathologists were trying to determine whether the stress of his capture
    or captivity or something else contributed to the death of the
    year-old, 35-pound coyote.

    The coyote, nicknamed Hal by park workers, led dozens of police
    officers on foot and in a helicopter on a wild chase through the urban
    greenery March 21 and 22. He jumped into the water, ducked under a
    bridge and leaped over an 8-foot fence.

    Hal was finally caught when a police officer shot the animal with a
    tranquilizer dart.

    Officials had taken Hal from a wildlife rehabilitation expert in Long
    Island on Thursday and had planned to release him in a state forest in
    upstate New York.

    How Hal reached Central Park is a mystery. He may have wandered into
    the city from the suburbs, or perhaps crossed the Hudson River from New
    Jersey by way of a bridge or a passing truck.

    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-City-Coyote.html

  5. Sir Lancelot

    Sir Lancelot Guest

    You can take the coyote out of the city but you can't take the city out
    of the coyote.

  6. Beach Bounty

    Beach Bounty Guest

    The news here said there some crazy hanging dead domestic animals on
    trees for them. and when police catch him or them , they well be doing a
    lot of jail time.

    best to leave wild animals alone:
    April 1 and hunting season over here:
    and all the woods is open for (US)

    All the way 2006.

    see you on the trails see you soon.

    God speed rec running.
    and Let's be carefull out there!

    after year of carring a back pack. when I have a itch on lower back. the
    scratcher won't reach it any more:

    42°N,83°W 90°N,180° 90°lat,
    3rd planet from the Sun.
    Milky Way, Orion arm.
    U.S.A., Michigan. west of Port Huron
    Bottum of Lake Huron.

  7. "O but now Hal's a wiser cosmic traveler.
    A Netherlands ~ Ish Coyote,
    Once from Westchester,
    Found new stomping grounds ~

    Hall's stomping 'round
    Now at The Ratty Rascals;

    Hal's hanging out
    With Merlot and Leonardo ~ !

    Next stop ~ Westminster Cathedral,
    Poet's Coroner ...

    But not without a glossy copy
    Of Conde Nasty's Canine Traveler."
    ~ Mer Loleil

  8. "O but now Hal's a wiser cosmic traveler.

  9. Twittering One wrote:
    > "Hal The Wily Coyote
    > A fan of Shakespeare's Globe ~
    > Hal The Wily Coyote
    > Came to town, just 1 year old,
    > He sang his canine song....

    <snip>Edited to conserve bytes.</snip>

    I like this one ~T1.~

  10. Thx AB.

    I am sad.

  11. "Turn, turns, Hal, a coyote, runs ~
    Without hope of play, but to the fore,
    O Coyote of my Heart ~ !

    Turns, turns! Déjà vu, Hal surveys, outruns foe, a catcher
    Not from Rye, Westchester, but chaser
    Here of a metropolitan Park
    Central, Off Center,

    Turns, turns! If romping,
    A fine steeple chase Grande Jette ~ Strawberry Fields ~ *
    Among urbane racket, echoes clamor, clacket,
    Horns, no canine howls, but plenty barks,

    Turns, turns! Torn
    McDonald's parcels, Pomme Frittes
    Scattered over street ~
    Turns, turns! Under a silver moon,
    Hal listens ...

    Turns, turns! The night falls, steers
    Hal toward outer ring's skating rink, farther
    Off center
    Of The Troop of The Allegros, drinkers,
    Those of Hats, them of silks, who defy hunger
    Or number.

    Turns, turns! The sky of the velvet of the vêt of stars
    Of gold twinkles slowly,
    Off Amsterdam,
    A church tinkles a knell sadly.

    Hal Coyote slows his chase ...
    Riffling, a newspaper rattles, quitters, crinkles.
    Under street lamp halogen lit ~
    Hal sniffs words quaffing a city night's
    Crisp air. Hal reads.

    Morning headlines
    Hal reads ...

    ~ * Wily Coyote Dies Before Release Into the Wild
    By JAMES BARRON,
    The New York Times

    (April 1) - Hal, the coyote who led park rangers and police officers on
    a two-day chase in Central Park last month, died on Thursday, moments
    before he was to be released in a thousand-acre state forest in Putnam
    County. He was about a year old."
    ~ Twittering

  12. "Good Pierrot, the pack of cards, he contemplates, having finished
    locking wedlock avec of Harlequin of A Pair of Partidges. A Suit of
    Diamonds, Harlequin escorts, while thinking down The Boulevard of
    Concourse. A young girl levitates along upon a palanquin. In vain, a
    pretty forest rat, Tyche, seeks the eye of another eye of another Ratty
    Rascal.

    And however mysterious, the propeller of The Merry Go Round's
    Carousel of Cavorts & Crinoline Equine, the astonishing sight startles
    her, stops her ~ !

    Of a turning coyote, Turn, Turn! Spinning, Turn, Turn! Prompts her
    making of him a more expensive delight, Turn, Turn! The white moon with
    the horns of bulls throws a glance of its eye Turn, Turn! In sight's
    line, a perspective Turn, Turn! With her friend Théodore Turn, Turn!
    The astonishing sight startles her, stops her ~ ! Of a turning coyote,
    Turn, Turn! Spinning, Turn, Turn! Prompts her to ask ~

    What's your name ~ ?"
    ~ Merlot

    "... for a handsome coyote
    You clearly appear to be, if turning out of synch
    Avec me."
    ~ Tyche

    "O such brilliance, a spiral nebula ~
    Et ces étoiles sont tes yeux,
    And these stars are your eyes."
    ~ Théodore Faullin de Banville

    "Hal, my name.
    My fame, Civilization
    & Discontents, if Shakespearean,

    My star's
    Claim."
    ~ Hal

    "O, such
    Jewels, your eyes, dear Hal."
    ~ Tyche

    "Of late, only moments ago, it seems,
    If, perhaps, a tad more ~
    Turn, Turn!

    I have enjoyed, nay, monopolized, The Fox
    Run of A Metropolitan Park,
    For a few days, before park officials, alas,
    Cornered me, Turn, Turn!

    At The Hallett Nature Sanctuary,
    Not far from The Wollman Rink,
    Where elegantly, I skated stylish figure 8's, as well,
    Round The Carousel I revolved,
    Turn, Turn!

    I leapt effortlessly, if zealously, over their heads,
    Slow ~ witted, if well armed,
    Their Corps de Chaotic Idiotic Chasers.

    Another night I spent on the loose, fancy free,
    Foot loose, unfastened,
    If hasty, my expedition, Turn, Turn!

    Before being felled by a tranquilizer dart
    Aimed by a Metropolitan Police Officer,
    Whereupon,

    I fainted, fast asleep, if deeply mortified, my pride,
    Punctured, that I, so wily a coyote, Turn, Turn!
    Felled
    By passers by, if swift their race
    Around a reservoir."
    ~ Hal

    "Nuit d'étoiles ~

    Nuit d'étoiles, sous tes voiles,
    Night of stars, beneath your veils,
    Sous ta brise et tes parfums,
    Amid your breezes and your scents,

    Triste lyre qui soupire,
    While a sad lyre is sighing,
    Je rêve aux amours défunts.
    I dream of my late loves.

    La sereine mélancolie
    A serene and melancholy
    Vient éclore au fond de mon coeur,
    Suddenly unfolds at the bottom of my heart,

    Et j'entends l'âme de ma mie
    And I sense the soul of my beloved
    Tressaillir dans le bois rêveur.
    Trembling in the dreaming forest.

    Je revois à notre fontaine
    I see again in our fountain
    Tes regards bleus comme les cieux;
    Your glances blue as the skies;

    Cettes rose, c'est ton haleine,
    This rose, it is your breath,
    Et ces étoiles sont tes yeux.
    And these stars are your eyes."
    ~ Théodore Faullin de Banville

  13. "Je revois à notre fontaine
    I see again splashing in our fountain
    Of Ink
    A well ~ told Fable of Fontaine ...

    Tes regards bleus comme les cieux;
    Your glances blue as skies
    A Raven eyes a Fox, a wedge

    Of cheddar cheese,
    Covets a Fauve

    If Too
    Clever
    By thirds ...

    Of fowl
    At 33rd & Byrd

    A Mont Blanc Fountain Pen
    Fauns design upon."
    ~ Kenneth

    "Of fowl
    At 33rd & Byrd
    A perch light

    Dangles
    Feathers upon ~

    For Quill
    Will finely do

    If no Mont Blanc."
    ~ Julie

    "Nuit d'étoiles ~
    Nuit d'étoiles, sous les voiles,
    Night of stars, beneath the veils
    A city tells, Troupe of Allegro

    I napped among, if nameless, lame,
    A few, fame
    Now I know of them
    Who sleep, oft still weep
    Upon park bench late at night

    Beneath veils a city
    Oft not tells ...

    Those of Hats, them of silks, who defy hunger
    Or number.

    Turns, turns! The sky of the velvet of the vêt of stars
    Of gold twinkles slowly,

    A church bell
    Told me sadly ..."
    ~ Hal

  14. "... & I in my gilded cage,
    Captured Fauve ...

    Sat pondering,
    Still wondering ~

    Is this The Gilded Age
    Oft rumored of, upstate ~ ?"
    ~ Hal

  15. Double-A

    Double-A Guest

    Twittering One wrote:
    > Wily Coyote Dies Before Release Into the Wild
    > By JAMES BARRON,
    > The New York Times
    >
    > (April 1) - Hal, the coyote who led park rangers and police officers on
    > a two-day chase in Central Park last month, died on Thursday, moments
    > before he was to be released in a thousand-acre state forest in Putnam
    > County. He was about a year old.
    >
    > He spent the last week of his life in the care of wildlife
    > rehabilitators on Long Island. They turned him over to state biologists
    > on
    >
    > "He was in good shape when he left me," one of the handlers, Rebecca
    > Asman, said yesterday. "Maybe there were other things going on inside
    > of Hal. He looked good to us. As far as outward appearance, he was
    > eating very well and he was very calm, but coyotes are by nature very
    > calm."
    >
    > The state biologists took him about 60 miles north of Manhattan to the
    > California Hill State Forest in Putnam County, near Kent, N.Y., Ms.
    > DeMarco said. There, she said, Hal stopped breathing when the
    > biologists and Cornell University graduate researchers restrained him
    > to put an identification tag on his ear.
    >
    > She said that a soft muzzle had been placed around Hal's snout, but it
    > did not cover his nose. His legs had also been restrained, but he had
    > not been tranquilized, she said.

    Wildlife officials muff another one!

    Double-A

  16. i cant believe you can capture a wild animal and not basically scare
    them to death. the shock and stress for the animal must be off the
    scale. when they release these animals , they should at least give them
    some meat to compensate for all the stress the animal suffered.

  17. Hal is Dead! The ranger sighs, startled.
    The forest, eavesdropping, nears,
    And comes, and looks the way Hal looks,
    Fears not the source of tears;
    Fears not the things it hears.

    Till a sad rush of pall bearers
    Till a mad shriek a starling shouts
    Shrills the tattered death of life ~

    "A Blessing, for your eyes have lit our land,
    Of thanks, our Emerald City gives,
    For Hal a coyote graced our urban wilds,"

    ~ The Mayor of Blooms & Fauna,
    A blessing bestows, in Central Park.

    "Emerald green, our links, a park
    Well known, Olmsted Country Clube ~
    Where, free for all, a pinecone sinks
    Hole in One, where Strawberry Fields

    Spin a disc,
    Imagine." Sign Says ~

    ~ * Hal Here Romped * ~

    The forest, eavesdropping, hears,
    Kneels, prays prayers for coyote child.
    Hal was one year old, if heart, bold.

    Hal is Dead! The forest cries startled.
    The forest, eavesdropping, tears,
    Falls silent, and hears the way Hal heard,
    Fears not the source of tears;
    Fears not the things it hears.

    So, here in the Mourning an Emerald
    City knows, flora, fauna, human
    Alike together kneel about the coyote
    And ever hear what brought Hal near ...

    A City, beacon of hope,
    For centuries known, A Lady Liberty
    Welcomes all ~

    For Hal, brave heart, showed such little fear
    And flora, fauna, human bend
    Together here
    In tearful, reverent joy

    Till a sad rush of pall bearers
    Till a mad shriek a starling shouts
    Shrills the tattered death of life ~ !

    Hal is Dead! Hal is Dead!

    ~ * Hal Here Romped * ~
    In Central Park.

  18. Double-A

    Double-A Guest

    Twittering One wrote:
    > Hal is Dead! The ranger sighs, startled.
    > The forest, eavesdropping, nears,
    > And comes, and looks the way Hal looks,
    > Fears not the source of tears;
    > Fears not the things it hears.
    >
    > Till a sad rush of pall bearers
    > Till a mad shriek a starling shouts
    > Shrills the tattered death of life ~
    >
    > "A Blessing, for your eyes have lit our land,
    > Of thanks, our Emerald City gives,
    > For Hal a coyote graced our urban wilds,"
    >
    > ~ The Mayor of Blooms & Fauna,
    > A blessing bestows, in Central Park.
    >
    > "Emerald green, our links, a park
    > Well known, Olmsted Country Clube ~
    > Where, free for all, a pinecone sinks
    > Hole in One, where Strawberry Fields
    >
    > Spin a disc,
    > Imagine." Sign Says ~
    >
    > ~ * Hal Here Romped * ~
    >
    > The forest, eavesdropping, hears,
    > Kneels, prays prayers for coyote child.
    > Hal was one year old, if heart, bold.
    >
    > Hal is Dead! The forest cries startled.
    > The forest, eavesdropping, tears,
    > Falls silent, and hears the way Hal heard,
    > Fears not the source of tears;
    > Fears not the things it hears.
    >
    > So, here in the Mourning an Emerald
    > City knows, flora, fauna, human
    > Alike together kneel about the coyote
    > And ever hear what brought Hal near ...
    >
    > A City, beacon of hope,
    > For centuries known, A Lady Liberty
    > Welcomes all ~
    >
    > For Hal, brave heart, showed such little fear
    > And flora, fauna, human bend
    > Together here
    > In tearful, reverent joy
    >
    > Till a sad rush of pall bearers
    > Till a mad shriek a starling shouts
    > Shrills the tattered death of life ~ !
    >
    > Hal is Dead! Hal is Dead!
    >
    > ~ * Hal Here Romped * ~
    > In Central Park.

    Beautiful.

    Double-A

  19. ~ * ~

    "O but now Hal's a wiser cosmic traveler.
    A Netherlands ~ Ish Coyote, once from Westchester,
    Found new stomping grounds ~

    Hall's stomping 'round
    Now at The Ratty Rascals;

    Hal's hanging out
    With Merlot and Leonardo ~ !

    Next stop ~ Westminster Cathedral,
    Poet's Coroner ...

    But not without a glossy copy
    Of Conde Nasty's Canine Traveler."
    ~ Mer Loleil

    ``Give thanks, for your son has saved our land,
    And God has saved his life!'' So, there in the morning sunshine
    They knelt about the boy; And every head was bared and bent
    In tearful, reverent joy.

    'Tis many a year since then; but still,
    When the sea roars like a flood, The boys are taught what a boy
    can do
    Who is brave and true and good; For every man in that country
    Takes his son by the hand And tells him of little Peter,
    Whose courage saved the land.

    They have many a valiant hero,
    Remembered through the years; But never one whose name so oft
    Is named with loving tears. And his deed shall be sung by the
    cradle,
    And told to the child on the knee, So long as the dikes of
    Holland
    Divide the land from the sea!"
    ~ Phoebe Cary,
    >From "The Leak in the Dike"