Haleakala ascent, Feb 12th 2003.

Richard Brockie

Guest
At short notice, I had the opportunity to travel to Maui last week. Here is the report on my ride up
Haleakala which I wrote for my team (Fremont Freewheelers Bicycle Club).

R.

I had similar fun to Mike Z. last Wednesday on Maui when I climbed Haleakala. The story starts a
couple of days earlier though.

Thanks to Charlie for the loan of the hard-case bike box - I did need to take my big ring off to fit
the bike in the box, but it did fit (as did all sorts of stuff I picked up on Maui, and I thought I
was laden down on the outward leg of the trip!)

Objective:

Ride from sea-level to the summit of Haleakala and back and get back in time for a soak in the
hot-tub before the drinks reception prior to the formal function that evening.

Reconnaissance:

On the Monday, I went for a spin to and from the beginning of the climb starting from my hotel in
Wailea. The trade winds were blowing, so I rode into a constant 20 to 30 mph wind on the outward
leg, and was blown back rather quickly on the return.

I determined that the round trip to the top starting at the hotel would be 108 miles. 108 miles
isn't too far, but when coupled with a 10,023' climb which I didn't know, I thought that it might be
a bit too much. On the return leg, I stopped in Kihei at the local bike shop and asked for
directions. The gent I spoke with looked at me worriedly, obviously thinking that I was wanting to
climb it that day! "No, no, I have all day on Wednesday," and he looked relieved and gave me
directions.

His recommendation was that I start in Paia on the north side which would get me climbing
immediately and miss out the flats to and from the base of the climb (roughly 40 miles). I also
purchased a bicyle map of Maui and got the various water sources pointed out to me. After much
pondering, I eventually followed the advice and rented a minivan so I could get myself to the start.

Preparation:

I was woken by room service with breakfast at 6am while it was still dark, and ate breakfast
during dawn. I made my final preparations, including filling 4 water bottles in case of high
temperatures and spending a good 10 minutes in front of a mirror applying factor 45 sunscreen - I
did not want to burn.

I set off to Paia on schedule at 7am, and was on my bike at 7:45, which was 15 minutes earlier than
I had hoped. Approaching Paia, I drove through quite a heavy shower of rain, and there was a fine
drizzle keeping the roads wet as I departed. On the bike were 2 bottles, in my packets were two
more, as were 4 bananas. All set for the trials ahead.

Execution:

The road was uphill from the start, and given that I knew I would be a long time in the saddle, I
was careful not to push too hard at the beginning. Climbing out of Paia, the town petered out
leaving me in farmland riding past sugar cane. I was contentedly turning my 39x24 and making easy
progress. After a while the sugar cane gave way to what could only have been pineapples, given the
foliage - all rather exotic.

The route to the top was easy - head up Baldwin from Paia, turn right at the Rodeo ground, keep left
and follow the signs to the summit. Not long before I climbed into Makawao, the roads dried out.
Presently, I came to the 4-way stop. Ahead, the road pitched up with the first steep section of the
climb. I used the 28 (my lowest) for this section, but it soon eased off again. Almost before I knew
it, I was at the Rodeo ground and as the man said, I couldn't miss it.

The connecting road to 377 isn't very long, and it was along here that I came across my first
glimpse of what would become a rather common occurrence as I climbed. There are tours which take
tourists to locations up the mountain to view the dawn, and then to freewheel (they call it cycling)
down the hill. There is a leader who guides everyone down, and windbreak tops and longs and
full-face off-road downhilling helmets are provided for everyone. To be honest, I felt rather
underdressed in bibshorts, cycling top with a cloth cap perched on my head keeping the sun out of my
eyes and armwarmers for the descent in my pockets.

I saw my first group gathering to get into the van, obviously having finished their ride, and very
shortly after, saw a group freewheeling down. The bicyles which are provided for these trips are
curious ones. They are balloon-tyred beach bruisers with front and rear hub drum brakes. The seat
angle is lucky if it is 60°. They were not terribly well set up for the riders, generally the saddle
was far too low, but this is of no consequence when no power is required from the rider, is it? I
should add that the paving from the summit to where these groups appeared to end their rides was
excellent.

Once on 377, I passed my first elevation marker, but I cannot remember what is said. Not long after
this, one of my colleagues pulled along side in a rental car and took some picutres of me. Stella
and her husband were off horse-riding. I continued, and climbing into Kula, my nose was assaulted
with a blast of some of the best smells I encountered on the island. It was glorious and happened on
my very suddenly. A bit further on the left, there is a cafe where I topped up my water.

Then, there it was, the turnoff onto 378 which is the road to the top of the hill, with a helpful
sign - Summit: 22 miles, and only 6,500' more to climb, which means that 3,500 have already been
climbed which was rather impressive already. After the first (sweeping, no sharp turns in sight on
this climb) hairpin on 378, I spied a rider ahead. I was climbing quicker than he was, but not that
much - it took me over 2 miles to catch him. We introduced ourselves, and Dale and I kept each other
company for much of the climb. Dale wasn't riding his own bike - turned out he had been loaned the
bike belonging to the helpful bike shop owner back in Kihei - 62cm red Colnago with old school
Campy, delta brakes and 8-sp ergopower.

A lot of climbing later, another colleague of mine passed in a car, and then Stella, having had an
hour's horse riding, came past on the way to the top of the hill. We saw both Randy and Stella
again when they descended the hill. Dale also started in Paia as advised by the bike shop owner and
had been dropped there by his wife about 15 minutes before I set off. He had been caught in the
heavy shower I drove through and had been rather wet as a result. Dale's wife also passed us on her
way to the top.

By this time, the comments from the wags on the beach cruisers ("it's easier this way...", etc.)
were getting rather wearing, though I was looking forward for a Tim-style fast descent leaving these
other riders in my wake. Dale and I stopped a couple of times for a bite to eat and we refilled our
bottles shortly after entering the park - the cost is per person, not per vehicle, so it was $5 each
even though we were on bicycles, unlike in California.

It was interesting watching the vegitation change as we climbed. I didn't really notice it happen,
but suddenly, there was more exposed rock than vegitation, and it was clear that we were getting
quite high. Between 7 and 8 thousand feet, I began to really feel the altitude. Dale, who lives at
7600' in Colorado, didn't have a problem.

After a lot more climbing, we could see the top in the distance and a turning with a sign-post
indicated only 2 miles left to the top. I took this as my cue to go to my threshold and rode the
last section solo. The climb to the upper visitor centre was fine, but the final pitch (think
Ra. Diablo) was a killer. I don't think that it was that steep in absolute terms, but, as I said, it
was a killer. I could barely turn the 28 at 4mph. Eventually, I got to the car park, found the
wheelchair ramp and rode to the very summit where I got off and had a seat whilst I got my
breath back - 4h 29m 57s to the summit.

After I caught my breath, I headed back down to the car park and introduced myself to Dale's wife
(her name has gone from my memory) and their children and we waited for Dale to arrive. She took
pictures of us, and email addresses were exchanged.

Dale decided to take the slow way down in the minivan with his family. I took the express. The
descent isn't superfast as the road isn't that steep. On the lower slopes, I got into the 40's on
the approaches to hairpins and maintained 25 mph or so through most of the corners. I overtook a
couple of vehicles on the descent. One was a car - I was getting a little irritated that I couldn't
pass, but they did pull into the first turnout that they could find, so I gave them a cheery wave to
say thanks. The one short flat section was hard work on the way down.

The descent took 1h 15m, which meant that I averaged something like 28.7 mph on the descent, just
like a very fast crit, but much, much easier! The noticeable warming as I descended was really nice,
though I did have a chilly time passing through the clouds for a couple of miles. Once through
though, I warmed up quickly.

Approaching Paia, I noticed something rather odd about one of the churches on Baldwin - it was built
of stone. Not something I have seen often in the States, especially as it was in the presbyterian
style common in Scotland. But there's more, it was built out of lava rock and not sandstone. All
rather weird and unexpected.

I got to Paia and found the van, changed clothes and headed the short walk to find something to eat
at a rather nice coffeee shop and then headed back to the hotel. I got back in plenty time to soak
in the hot-tub and impress my colleagues with my exploits. Needless to say, the alcohol went
straight to my head that evening at pre-dinner drinks.

--
S.

<> Richard Brockie "Categorical statements <> The tall blond one. always cause trouble." <>
[email protected]

Great report! I always wanted to do that one. I look forward to it someday.

Cheers,

Matt O.

"Richard Brockie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> through though, I warmed up quickly.
>
> Approaching Paia, I noticed something rather odd about one
of the
> churches on Baldwin - it was built of stone. Not something
I have seen
> often in the States, especially as it was in the
presbyterian style
> common in Scotland. But there's more, it was built out of
lava rock and
> not sandstone. All rather weird and unexpected.
>
> I got to Paia and found the van, changed clothes and
headed the short
> walk to find something to eat at a rather nice coffeee
shop and then
> headed back to the hotel. I got back in plenty time to
soak in the
> hot-tub and impress my colleagues with my exploits.
Needless to say, the
> alcohol went straight to my head that evening at

cause trouble."
> <> [email protected]

No way I could do the ride up be we're going to ride down somewhere between 3-12 and 3-22. I'm
looking forward to that. Al

Hi Rich,

Nice report - sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Just a note about the tour rides for anyone considering it:

We did one when in Hawaii on our Honeymoon. Big mistake. You're right, the bikes are terrible. I had
a big argument with the supposedly knowledgeable guides about where to set my seat height (they
initially set it so I could touch the ground flat-footed while seated), brake sensitivity, etc (I
live in NJ and am used to having to make sudden stops - they want the brakes set to stop gradually
because they're afraid the tourons will go over the handlebars...). They didn't even know how to
properly fit the full face helmet they made us wear.

They go SOOOoooooo SLOOOOOOOWWWW! I was riding the brakes all the way down because we're not allowed
to pass the lead guide. There's one place where the straight stretch of road between the turns goes
ever-so-slightly uphill. We were going so slow we had to pedal this section. It took 6 hours to go
40 miles downhill!

They also blocked the road behind us with their van/trailer which understandably annoyed anyone
trying to drive down the road. At one point my guide complained about someone almost running us off
the road - the car that passed us was completely in the other lane (in a place where it could be
seen that there was no oncoming traffic). They made a big deal about how bumpy the cattle grates
were - these people obviously never saw a NJ pothole.

Seeing the sunrise was awesome! - next time I'll rent a bike (or bring one) and pay someone to drive
me up there before sunrise.

Janet

Janet Cicariello-Cook <[email protected]> posted:

> Just a note about the tour rides for anyone considering it:
>
> We did one when in Hawaii on our Honeymoon. Big mistake. You're right, the bikes are terrible.
<snip> They go SOOOoooooo SLOOOOOOOWWWW! I was riding the brakes all the way
> down because we're not allowed to pass the lead guide. There's one place where the straight
> stretch of road between the turns goes ever-so-slightly uphill. We were going so slow we had to
> pedal this section. It took 6 hours to go 40 miles downhill!
>
> They also blocked the road behind us with their van/trailer which understandably annoyed anyone
> trying to drive down the road.
>
> Seeing the sunrise was awesome! - next time I'll rent a bike (or bring one) and pay someone to
> drive me up there before sunrise.
>
> Janet

An independent ride down from Haleakala, not in a convoy, is also possible. Much more suitable
for experienced cyclists. My supplier of bike, helmet, gloves, jacket, and van ride up was
Haleakala Bike Co, 808 575 9575, in June 2001. I did have to raise the bike seat about 6 inches,
which was easy.
- Max

--
MisterMax Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, Maui, Malaysia, Morocco, Sicily (new), St Tropez,
Thailand, Tour de France: http://buten.net/max/ (Yes,RemoveDoubles is part of my email address. The

"Mister Max" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> An independent ride down from Haleakala, not in a convoy, is also possible. Much more suitable
> for experienced cyclists. My supplier of bike, helmet, gloves, jacket, and van ride up was
> Haleakala Bike Co, 808 575 9575, in June 2001. I did have to raise the bike seat about 6 inches,
> which was easy.
> - Max

Why not ride up it first?

BR wrote:

> "Mister Max" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > An independent ride down from Haleakala, not in a convoy, is also possible. Much more suitable
> > for experienced cyclists. My supplier of bike, helmet, gloves, jacket, and van ride up was
> > Haleakala Bike Co, 808 575 9575, in June 2001. I did have to raise the bike seat about 6 inches,
> > which was easy.
> > - Max
>
> Why not ride up it first?

Because if you want to see the sunrise, you'd have a really long ride in the dark in the middle of
the night.

Also if you do try to ride up in the dark - watch out for the tour groups' vans (W/ trailers). They
drive like maniacs and don't watch out for others on the road. The group we went with figured they
owned the road and didn't even make an effort to stay on their own side of the road going around
the turns.

Janet

p.s. I do agree with "Mister Max" that an independent ride down would be preferable. That's
what I would do next time - rent or bring a bike and pay someone to drive me up there
before the sunrise.

BTW - the bikes that the tour group used needed tools to make any adjustments (seat height
included). Like I mentioned in a previous post - their bikes were terrible.