Haleakala, Maui

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Papayahed1, May 17, 2003.

  1. Papayahed1

    Papayahed1 Guest

    Has anyone here ridden UP Haleakala? Would love to hear your experience.

    Michael

    Tags:

  2. Kendall

    Kendall Guest

    Great ride! The road is good, the scenery good. I was in good hill riding shape at the time for
    hills so it didn't completely toast me. I started about 35 miles from the top fairly early because
    the sun and heat can get bad although the day I did it, it got cooler and cloudier at the top. You
    will drink lots of water and I did start feeling the altitude effects towards the top above 8500
    feet because I hadn't ridden at alitudes above 6500 prior to this ride. I rode with someone and we
    stopped a bit to enjoy the scenery, so it took us about 5 hours as I recall. The ride down is
    anticlimatic IMO but people pay to do it.

    Kendall

    "Papayahed1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone here ridden UP Haleakala? Would love to hear your experience.
    >
    > Michael

  3. Papayahed1

    Papayahed1 Guest

    Thanks for the response. Sounds like you had a great time. I'm going to try it in late June. I
    understand it is only a 5-6% grade, but goes on forever... Michael

    >Subject: Re: Haleakala, Maui From: "Kendall" ckensto(nospam)@comcast.net Date: 5/18/2003 10:51 AM
    >Eastern Daylight Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >Great ride! The road is good, the scenery good. I was in good hill riding shape at the time for
    >hills so it didn't completely toast me. I started about 35 miles from the top fairly early because
    >the sun and heat can get bad although the day I did it, it got cooler and cloudier at the top. You
    >will drink lots of water and I did start feeling the altitude effects towards the top above 8500
    >feet because I hadn't ridden at alitudes above 6500 prior to this ride. I rode with someone and we
    >stopped a bit to enjoy the scenery, so it took us about 5 hours as I recall. The ride down is
    >anticlimatic IMO but people pay to do it.
    >
    >Kendall
    >

    >"Papayahed1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Has anyone here ridden UP Haleakala? Would love to hear your experience.
    >>
    >> Michael
    >

    >Subject: Re: Haleakala, Maui From: "Kendall" ckensto(nospam)@comcast.net Date: 5/18/2003 10:51 AM
    >Eastern Daylight Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >Great ride! The road is good, the scenery good. I was in good hill riding shape at the time for
    >hills so it didn't completely toast me. I started about 35 miles from the top fairly early because
    >the sun and heat can get bad although the day I did it, it got cooler and cloudier at the top. You
    >will drink lots of water and I did start feeling the altitude effects towards the top above 8500
    >feet because I hadn't ridden at alitudes above 6500 prior to this ride. I rode with someone and we
    >stopped a bit to enjoy the scenery, so it took us about 5 hours as I recall. The ride down is
    >anticlimatic IMO but people pay to do it.
    >
    >Kendall
    >

    >"Papayahed1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Has anyone here ridden UP Haleakala? Would love to hear your experience.
    >>
    >> Michael

  4. > Has anyone here ridden UP Haleakala? Would love to hear your experience.

    Do a DejaNews search (dejanews.com) on the following-

    "Richard Brockie" Haleakala

    That will give you Richard Brockie's *excellent* write up on his trip up the mountain, originally
    posted here on 2003-02-20.

  5. Papayahed1

    Papayahed1 Guest

    Thanks, Mike. I'll look that one up. There is also an interesting articile in _Bicycling_ by Steve
    Medden (Dec 2002) http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,5073,3623,00.html?category_id=362 about his
    experience.

    Hope I'll be able to add one more to this NG when I get back in July.

    Aloha-Michael