Haleakala, Maui

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Papayahed1, May 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papayahed1

Papayahed1 Guest

Has anyone here ridden UP Haleakala? Would love to hear your experience.

Michael

Tags:

2. Kendall

Kendall Guest

Great ride! The road is good, the scenery good. I was in good hill riding shape at the time for
    hills so it didn't completely toast me. I started about 35 miles from the top fairly early because
    the sun and heat can get bad although the day I did it, it got cooler and cloudier at the top. You
    will drink lots of water and I did start feeling the altitude effects towards the top above 8500
    feet because I hadn't ridden at alitudes above 6500 prior to this ride. I rode with someone and we
    stopped a bit to enjoy the scenery, so it took us about 5 hours as I recall. The ride down is
    anticlimatic IMO but people pay to do it.

Kendall

"Papayahed1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone here ridden UP Haleakala? Would love to hear your experience.
    >
    > Michael

3. Papayahed1

Papayahed1 Guest

Thanks for the response. Sounds like you had a great time. I'm going to try it in late June. I
    understand it is only a 5-6% grade, but goes on forever... Michael

>Subject: Re: Haleakala, Maui From: "Kendall" ckensto(nospam)@comcast.net Date: 5/18/2003 10:51 AM
    >Eastern Daylight Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >Great ride! The road is good, the scenery good. I was in good hill riding shape at the time for
    >hills so it didn't completely toast me. I started about 35 miles from the top fairly early because
    >the sun and heat can get bad although the day I did it, it got cooler and cloudier at the top. You
    >will drink lots of water and I did start feeling the altitude effects towards the top above 8500
    >feet because I hadn't ridden at alitudes above 6500 prior to this ride. I rode with someone and we
    >stopped a bit to enjoy the scenery, so it took us about 5 hours as I recall. The ride down is
    >anticlimatic IMO but people pay to do it.
    >
    >Kendall
    >
    >
    >
    >"Papayahed1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Has anyone here ridden UP Haleakala? Would love to hear your experience.
    >>
    >> Michael
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>Subject: Re: Haleakala, Maui From: "Kendall" ckensto(nospam)@comcast.net Date: 5/18/2003 10:51 AM
    >
    >Great ride! The road is good, the scenery good. I was in good hill riding shape at the time for
    >hills so it didn't completely toast me. I started about 35 miles from the top fairly early because
    >the sun and heat can get bad although the day I did it, it got cooler and cloudier at the top. You
    >will drink lots of water and I did start feeling the altitude effects towards the top above 8500
    >feet because I hadn't ridden at alitudes above 6500 prior to this ride. I rode with someone and we
    >stopped a bit to enjoy the scenery, so it took us about 5 hours as I recall. The ride down is
    >anticlimatic IMO but people pay to do it.
    >
    >Kendall
    >
    >
    >
    >"Papayahed1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> Michael
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

4. > Has anyone here ridden UP Haleakala? Would love to hear your experience.

Do a DejaNews search (dejanews.com) on the following-

"Richard Brockie" Haleakala

That will give you Richard Brockie's *excellent* write up on his trip up the mountain, originally
    posted here on 2003-02-20.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

5. Papayahed1

Papayahed1 Guest

Thanks, Mike. I'll look that one up. There is also an interesting articile in _Bicycling_ by Steve
    Medden (Dec 2002) http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,5073,3623,00.html?category_id=362 about his
    experience.

Hope I'll be able to add one more to this NG when I get back in July.

Aloha-Michael

>Subject: Re: Haleakala, Maui From: "Mike Jacoubowsky" [email protected] Date: 5/25/03 11:51 PM
    >
    >
    >Do a DejaNews search (dejanews.com) on the following-
    >
    >"Richard Brockie" Haleakala
    >
    >That will give you Richard Brockie's *excellent* write up on his trip up the mountain, originally
    >posted here on 2003-02-20.
    >
    >--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.