Half assed fixie project for beer. (Beerbay)

Shabby

New Member
Mar 13, 2003
OK, I'm a quitter. The build a fixie from beer project has been waiting for me for 12 months now, and isn;t getting any more finished. So I'm quitting.

Up for grabs is:

Red 58cm frame procured from Mr Dutch, sans fork/stem/seat/headset.
Profile bars road bars procured from Hippy.
One rear wheel I built from bits and pieces and second hand spokes (fixed hub, no guarantees on the workmanship or parts).

Bidding starts at 12 stubbies of Hightail.

Shabby said:
OK, I'm a quitter. The build a fixie from beer project has been waiting for me for 12 months now, and isn;t getting any more finished. So I'm quitting.

Up for grabs is:

Red 58cm frame procured from Mr Dutch, sans fork/stem/seat/headset.
Profile bars road bars procured from Hippy.
One rear wheel I built from bits and pieces and second hand spokes (fixed hub, no guarantees on the workmanship or parts).

Bidding starts at 12 stubbies of Hightail.

You didn't try hard enough.

I've got some parts that could get you rolling & the beer fridge is looking bare. ;)

Otherwise, I need a rear wheel for my fixie project. :rolleyes:

Bikesoiler......I don't need the rear wheel, so if I do win on 'beerbay' its all yours.....for some Melbourne Longnecks!!:p

Rhino-x said:
Bikesoiler......I don't need the rear wheel, so if I do win on 'beerbay' its all yours.....for some Melbourne Longnecks!!:p

Long socks, now long necks. What does it all mean? :)

I did offer Shabby some parts earlier but never heard anything. Oh well.

My fixie project is being held up by a stuck head stem. I've only used a rubber mallet so far. Might be time for surgery... where's the angle grinder? :eek:

Ha ha.....the long socks, you have to love them. They will be coming out again for the Kona 24....have even been donated a few extra colours (sadly not argyle).

As for your stem, remember...WD-40 is your friend.

"Bikesoiler" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> My fixie project is being held up by a stuck head stem. I've only used
> a rubber mallet so far. Might be time for surgery... where's the angle
> grinder? :eek:
>
> --
> Bikesoiler

Have you tried soaking penetrating oil into the gap? Or failing that,
ammonia if it's an aluminium stem?

When I was disassembling the Raleigh the stem, seatpost, cranks and BB cups
were all very hard to remove. Penetrating oil dripped onto the interface
once a day for a while worked magic. Luckily with the stem you can soak from
the top, then flip the frame and soak from the bottom.

Shabby wrote:
> OK, I'm a quitter. The build a fixie from beer project has been waiting
> for me for 12 months now, and isn;t getting any more finished. So I'm
> quitting.

I know it a little OT but,
You could always buy a ready made fixie from ebay
item # 7198198325.

(I have no involement with this sale)

Rhino-x said:
12 stubbies.....done! I will take off it all off your hands....:D
Hey, this is a beerbay Auction, not a Buy-it-Now!

This is where the frenzied bidding was supposed to start...

Bikesoiler said:
Long socks, now long necks. What does it all mean? :)

I did offer Shabby some parts earlier but never heard anything. Oh well.

My fixie project is being held up by a stuck head stem. I've only used a rubber mallet so far. Might be time for surgery... where's the angle grinder? :eek:
Sorry, been busy on a much bigger project, didn't mean to ignore you.......

Already have 3 bikes at home, about 3 more than I need at the moment (I can walk my 1 Km commute if need be).

Shabby wrote:
> Bikesoiler Wrote:
>
>>Long socks, now long necks. What does it all mean? :)
>>
>>I did offer Shabby some parts earlier but never heard anything. Oh
>>well.
>>
>>My fixie project is being held up by a stuck head stem. I've only used
>>a rubber mallet so far. Might be time for surgery... where's the angle
>>grinder? :eek:

> Sorry, been busy on a much bigger project, didn't mean to ignore
> you.......
>
> Already have 3 bikes at home, about 3 more than I need at the moment (I
> can walk my 1 Km commute if need be).

Wheres the fun in that?

cheers,

Kim
~ /me is aiming for 5 bikes... one for each day of the commute ;)

Kim Hawtin said:
Shabby wrote:
> Bikesoiler Wrote:
>
>>Long socks, now long necks. What does it all mean? :)
>>
>>I did offer Shabby some parts earlier but never heard anything. Oh
>>well.
>>
>>My fixie project is being held up by a stuck head stem. I've only used
>>a rubber mallet so far. Might be time for surgery... where's the angle
>>grinder? :eek:

> Sorry, been busy on a much bigger project, didn't mean to ignore
> you.......
>
> Already have 3 bikes at home, about 3 more than I need at the moment (I
> can walk my 1 Km commute if need be).

Wheres the fun in that?

cheers,

Kim
~ /me is aiming for 5 bikes... one for each day of the commute ;)
Seems unfair to ride a $4K bike in blundstones and jeans, and only 1km at a time.......

On 2005-11-21, Shabby (aka Bruce)
> Kim Hawtin Wrote:
>> Kim
>> ~ /me is aiming for 5 bikes... one for each day of the commute ;)

> Seems unfair to ride a $4K bike in blundstones and jeans, and only 1km
> at a time.......

What do people do when they see an obviously shady character dressed
in bogan clothes with joggers, with a really specced up roady with
clipless pedals, on the train?

The guy took the train, because he realised he couldn't pedal the bike
to the crack-converters with the shoes he was wearing. But I couldn't
just crack open the mobile, and say "there's a thief on the train with
a stolen $4000 bike", without proof that is not obvious to non
cyclists.

Apologies to shady characters named Kim out there who are actually
riding their own bikes in said :)

--
TimC
Experiments must be reproducible; they should all fail in the same way.

On 2005-11-21, Shabby (aka Bruce)
> Kim Hawtin Wrote:
>> Kim
>> ~ /me is aiming for 5 bikes... one for each day of the commute ;)

> Seems unfair to ride a $4K bike in blundstones and jeans, and only 1km
> at a time.......

What do people do when they see an obviously shady character dressed
in bogan clothes with joggers, with a really specced up roady with
clipless pedals, on the train?

The guy took the train, because he realised he couldn't pedal the bike
to the crack-converters with the shoes he was wearing. But I couldn't
just crack open the mobile, and say "there's a thief on the train with
a stolen $4000 bike", without proof that is not obvious to non
cyclists.

Apologies to shady characters named Kim out there who are actually
riding their own bikes in said :)

--
TimC
Experiments must be reproducible; they should all fail in the same way.
for the record, your bogan thief was illinformed - clipless pedals can easily be ridden with blunnies... (and you can trackstand with no fear as you don;t have to clip out).

Shabby wrote:
> TimC Wrote:
>
>>On 2005-11-21, Shabby (aka Bruce)
>>was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

>>>Seems unfair to ride a $4K bike in blundstones and jeans, and only

>>1km
>>
>>>at a time.......

>>What do people do when they see an obviously shady character dressed
>>in bogan clothes with joggers, with a really specced up roady with
>>clipless pedals, on the train?

I see from a note next to the bike rack at work that someone had their
bike knocked off. My old MTB commuter might be a piece of junk but it is
somewhat satisfying to look at 8 bikes on a rack and see that mine would
rank 7th or 8th on a thief list. Hell if they get that desperate they
can have it.

DaveB

TimC wrote:

> What do people do when they see an obviously shady character dressed
> in bogan clothes with joggers, with a really specced up roady with
> clipless pedals, on the train?

First, "you ask them where do they ride".

Terry Collins said:
TimC wrote:

> What do people do when they see an obviously shady character dressed
> in bogan clothes with joggers, with a really specced up roady with
> clipless pedals, on the train?

First, "you ask them where do they ride".
Strike up a friendly conversation " So, whadaya reckon about them SPD* pedals on the bike, mate?"

*mention any type of pedal other than the type on the bike.

If he has any type of legitimate attachment to the bike, he is likely to know the difference, if not, you should effect a citizen's arrest**

** just kidding - ring the police and report him.

Steve(has been known to look dodgy but I knows my pedals)A