Half-backed column in VeloNews

helmutRoole2

Jul 7, 2006
It's called "Ask the Doctor." Should be renamed to "Ask the Jackass."

My quotes are in blue, the rest belongs to Dr. Dawn M. Richardson. Here's the URL: http://velonews.com/train/articles/12396.0.html

I left the first seven graphs out because they were Richardson's self serving testimonial about how determined she is to stamp out doping, how offensive doping is and then her long and impressive list of great things she's done in her professional life. You won't find professional athlete on that list. In fact, you won't find anything about being an athlete. Maybe she taught a spinning class once.

---​

For four years I've been privately interviewing professional cyclists who are in recovery from doping
How many? Two? Why not say? Leads me to think two.
so that I might better understand what draws them to dope and what happens to them once they've gone to the dark side. I'm able to ask the questions nobody else can and hope to get honest answers because as a doctor I cannot and would not violate medical confidentiality. I've been privileged to learn from several athletes about their motivations and pressures as well as the medical problems they suffered as a result of their abuse of performance-enhancing drugs. These athletes aren't permitted under current WADA/USADA code to speak publicly about their personal experiences of doping without fear of suspension. I can, however, share what I've learned without naming names.

We can't be that surprised that her subject group has medical problems since they are seeking medical attention, right? Why else would you go see a doctor? So right off the bat the subject pool is flawed to the point of being useless. What kind of conclusions do you hope to reach by study the behaviors of former dopers seeking medical attention? It should be something other than "former dopers seeking medical attention often exhibit behavior and health issues that require medical attention," wouldn't you say?

The athletes described the doping culture in frightening detail. They outlined how doping can exist within a team infrastructure. Another athlete described a Mafia-like secret society that perpetuates doping and infects clean teams. I had never heard of Aranesp before a recovered rider explained its pharmacology to me.

This is a little scarry. Aranesp is a commonly prescribed medicine for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. A doctor should know this or at the very least be embarrassed by not knowing it.

While doping these riders lost a sense of the future and the consequences of their behavior. They described an exciting feeling of belonging to something, and an us-against-them camaraderie, not unlike the mentality of the so-called recreational drug culture.

This is a stretch. A recreational drug user has no purpose aside from getting high and escaping reality. The vast majority of athletes using peds have the goal of increasing performance. Big dif.

I've been told that some foreign riders have come to the United States to escape a worse doping culture in their own countries, to be able to race in a team environment that supports clean riding. The same holds true for Americans returning to domestic teams after experiencing a worse doping culture on foreign-based squads. This is encouraging to hear.

True, but most come to the states because there is no drug testing here. And/Or, because they got thrown off of Euro teams for doping. The Navigator's Lagutin comes to mind. Health Nets Sutherland as well.

Most surprising was the disclosure of common and long-lasting mental illness and frequent substance abuse among dopers.
This again? Of course. People who seek medical attention are often sick.
Some had alcohol- or substance-abuse histories before professional cycling. None was treated for mental illness until after doping. Those with substance-abuse histories escalated or started while doping. There was often a family history of addiction. They described an overwhelming and lingering psychological burden from their participation in doping that reminded me of Raskolnikov in "Crime and Punishment." Some were relieved when they were caught, as it seemed the only way out of "the club." I have heard more than once, "I'd be dead if I continued doping."

And they're not exaggerating.
No, but you are.
Marco Pantani and José Maria Jiminez were top athletes who died at what should have been the peaks of their careers as a result of doping, cocaine abuse and mental illness.

It made me wonder. From strictly a medical perspective, is doping simply a subvariant of substance abuse?
No, but there are professional cyclists with a predisposition to drug abuse. The numbers are similar if not identical to those found in the general population.
Substance abuse and mental illness together are called "dual diagnosis" in psychiatric parlance because they go hand-in-hand.
Thanks for explaining the word dual.

One athlete said it better than I can:

"I would have to say the situation in pro cycling has always made me depressed and feeling bipolar, but I didn't try to commit suicide until after I did testosterone ... I never smoked pot until after I did testosterone. It was instructed to me to use mary jane to relax my muscles after the ‘roids. Then came alcohol abuse, sex, drugs, and rock and roll."
That's weird, because I didn't try testosterone and steroids until after I smoked pot, drank beer, drop x, injected heroin, snorted cocaine, did a tab of LSD, smoke meth... There's absolutely no correlation.

Another athlete described the use of opiates to mask pain and amphetamines to boost performance. The initial intent was performance enhancement, but these are addictive drugs whose users can find themselves forced to seek treatment in drug rehabilitation facilities.
What? Opiates like cocaine are addictive? Look, I think most third graders know that drugs are addictive. Just because you're a professional athlete and supposed adult doesn't mean you turn you brain off.

Why is there so much mental illness and substance abuse related to doping?
There's not.
What can be done about it?
If mental illness correlates with doping
It doesn't anymore than any other commonly abused drug(s).
as I suspect, I worry even more about the long-term health of the athletes. I'm particularly alarmed by the studies that show life expectancy reduced by 25 years among those with mental illness.
Because they're living on the street and/or they're abusing street/prescription drugs and/or they're committing suicide and/or they're anorexic and/or alcoholics and/or chain smokers. There's also a study that links poor oral hygiene with an abreviated life expectancy. Does that mean that some how infection travels from your mouth causing bigger health issues? Maybe. But it's more likely that, the people who don't brush their teeth, also have poor diets, are often smokers or tobacco chewers, many live on the streets, many are poor, a great deal drink and drive, are alcoholics, participate in crime, asault each other, own guns, use street drugs... Those behaviors are more likely the reason for their shortened life expectancy.
That is more than anyone bargains for when succumbing to the temptation to dope.

Can an athlete with a doping history quit using performance-enhancing substances and race clean with the support of a well-established dual-diagnosis treatment model in conjunction with the deterrent pressure of the WADA/USADA legal process? Can it be controlled with the 12-step model of addiction treatment used in Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous?
Could Jesus help? I think some good old fashioned snake handlin' religion might be just as effective.

Should team doctors recommend mental-health screening and counseling for their athletes with a history of doping?
Maybe after they kick them off the team.
Might this be another technique to be added to an innovative new anti-doping team management style? Should WADA/USADA compel suspended athletes into mental-health counseling to rebuild their lives and reduce recidivism? Can athletes use a 12-step-based program to help each other?

Other sports are starting to study the lifelong health consequences for retired athletes. The NFL has established the Center for Retired Athletes. Their work discovered an increased risk of Alzheimer's disease with repeated concussions.
Did the NFL really do the studies and draw this correlation? I think it's existed for at least 10 years if not 20. I think the NFL reached the obvious conclusion that concussions occur in the NFL, not that concussions lead to Alzheimer's disease.

My observations are not a scientific study.
Or anything close. Not even common sensical
. They might be considered more as a collection of case studies. Will sports-medicine research ultimately find a scientific link between cycling doping, substance abuse and mental illness?
Maybe the last two.
Will treatment strategies be developed and proven effective in the rehabilitation of athletes from doping? Serotonin reuptake inhibitors, such as Prozac, have shown some benefit to bodybuilders suffering from depression related to steroid withdrawal. I have heard of similar benefit in speaking with reformed dopers.

Some recovering dopers are still competing and functioning well, both on the bike and psychologically. They can speak privately to teammates to educate them about the personal cost of doping. All riders can exert peer pressure not to dope. Removing the veil of secrecy surrounding doping can only help solve the many problems it causes.

Let's go back to just the 90s. How many professional cyclists have competed on the World Cup/Pro Tour level? Thousands? Many thousands? Let's assume half doped, which is generous, and put that number at 2,000. With that subject group, how many have died from doping? There were, what, six Danes who died in their sleep, Pantani and Martinez. Eight? Is thta it?

Consider how many cyclists, pro-am, doped over the years and continue to do so. Now consider all the many thousand other endurance athletes who dope. Then throw in all the body builders, who consume easily ten times the amount of testosterone and steroids endurance athletes do. Consider high school, college and professional football, baseball and basketball. Also people who just like ****ing around with steroids at the gym... It begs the question, if these substances are so dangerous, so mentally toxic, then where are all the bodies?

Look, I'm not defending doping, but these "scare them straight" campaigns run out of steam and become counter productive after a very short period.

helmutRoole2 said:
I left the first seven graphs out because they were Richardson's self serving testimonial about how determined she is to stamp out doping, how offensive doping is and then her long and impressive list of great things she's done in her professional life. You won't find professional athlete on that list. In fact, you won't find anything about being an athlete. Maybe she taught a spinning class once.
Helmut, I don't have time to offer different perspectives on everything you say, but the overwheming sense I get from your comments is that you have taken every point and placed an interpretation on it most favorable to the oppositional view you want to express. I would suggest you simply read it again, with an open mind. It is not unflawed but it doesn't deserve the heaps of abuse you put on it.

One correction, there is something about being an athlete: "Dawn Richardson is a former member of the Verizon Wireless-Cervelo Women's Cycling Team."

JRMDC said:
Helmut, I don't have time to offer different perspectives on everything you say, but the overwheming sense I get from your comments is that you have taken every point and placed an interpretation on it most favorable to the oppositional view you want to express. I would suggest you simply read it again, with an open mind. It is not unflawed but it doesn't deserve the heaps of abuse you put on it.

One correction, there is something about being an athlete: "Dawn Richardson is a former member of the Verizon Wireless-Cervelo Women's Cycling Team."
Okay, well, I missed that, but to say that doping in cycling correlates to mental illness is, excuse the pun, insane.

The line where she states something like, Euro riders come to North America to escape the drug culture is way off base. They come here because they can dope.

Her piece is fundamentally flawed from the start.

Look, if you don't want to dope, great. But don't take that stance because you believe there are serious health implications. That's just not true. And to take half truths and distort them is nothing more than a disinformation campaign, which is pointless, doesn't help stamp out doping, does nothing.

Serafino said:
So what's your solution "Doctor" HR?
A solution to cheating? To stop cheating? Because that's really what this is about. It's not about doping or doping products or drug tests or oaths.

It's cheating.

You can't stop cheating. You can randomly contain it. That's best you can hope for.

The solution isn't disinformation, though. I'm pretty sure of that.

helmutRoole2 said:
One athlete said it better than I can:

"...It was instructed to me to use mary jane to relax my muscles after the ‘roids. Then came alcohol abuse, sex, drugs, and rock and roll."

That makes me think the doctor just made up the interview. Never in my life have I heard a real pot smoker refer to pot as "mary jane"... it was listed on all the drug education literature for elementary school kids, but nobody ever said it. I call BS.

DiabloScott said:
I call BS.
I wouldn't go that far. She is a professional with a valid and long list of credentials so I don't think she's making this up. I think she's principled to a point, but I don't think she's working with more than two subjects. Maybe three at the most, although it seems she'd like us to believe the number is much more.

I guess the problem I have with the piece is, it's cartoonish, one dimensional, good vs evil. She's drawing vast generalizations, many clearly wrong, in the name of good and righteous sport. It's a white bread dream world. Her conclusion seems to be, doping leads to mental illness and other health issues, when in fact there are no studies to support this, although many have tried to prove it true. (Lyle Alzado's brain cancer was unrelated to his steroid use. He said it was. His doctor and many other doctors said it wasn't.) The only realistic conclusion she can draw is, some professional cyclists dope, and of those, some seek treatment for mental illness. That's it.

I was surprised when JRMDC pointed out that she's an athlete. How she got such a distorted point of view is beyond me. It's as if she reached the following conclusion: I've raced and interacted with many professional cyclists in North America and have discovered only a few to be mentally ill. I therefore must conclude that doping exists here but on a very small scale since doping leads to mental illness.

It is as if she is ****** about doping and decided to write a piece designed to dissuade people from doping using nothing more than her observations of two, maybe three, former dopers who sought treatment for mental illness, which proves only that, people with mental illness sometimes are/were professional athletes who once doped. She's a smart person. I think she thought this through, knew she could draw no real conclusions but decided the fight against doping was more important than the truth.

Well, I call ******** on that.

Fact is, if doping is so toxic, where are all the bodies?

I would think of all the people on this forum you would know how to spell "Half-baked" since most of your posts are just that.

helmutRoole2 said:
That's weird, because I didn't try testosterone and steroids until after I smoked pot, drank beer, drop x, injected heroin, snorted cocaine, did a tab of LSD, smoke meth... There's absolutely no correlation.

Dude, we have got to party some time.

helmutRoole2 said:
The line where she states something like, Euro riders come to North America to escape the drug culture is way off base. They come here because they can dope.
Regarding the above, I have no basis for saying this other than pure speculation, but I think that they come over here because they can get a bit higher position in the team than they can in Europe where it is more competitive, and because they can have the adventure of spending time on another continent for a few years. Do I make a good guess?

BTW, I've never heard that doping is easier in the US than in Europe. I've heard the argument that the entry of Americans into the sport created increased financial incentives to dope, but that is different. It seems, based on recent European experience, that one only needs a few dope doctors on a continent to make doping fully accessible to those who want it.

Otherwise, you make some interesting clarifying points, I'm pondering what you are saying.

House said:
I would think of all the people on this forum you would know how to spell "Half-baked" since most of your posts are just that.
It's one word. Not hyphenated.

BTW, how do you type this bs? One hand on the keyboard, one hand stroking Lance's balls?

Need I trot out the photographical evidence? Boy, the look on your face when that strobe went off with Lance's schlong in your mouth... priceless.

JRMDC said:
Regarding the above, I have no basis for saying this other than pure speculation, but I think that they come over here because they can get a bit higher position in the team than they can in Europe where it is more competitive, and because they can have the adventure of spending time on another continent for a few years. Do I make a good guess?
You're right, JR. I have imagined that's part of the reason and should have mentioned it, but aside from UCI races, there is no testing here in the States.

Also, all the peds a professional cyclist needs are on the internet. Plenty of good, reliable sources and plenty of information for how to use them. Very cheap, as well. EPO is well within reach. HGH is a little more. Testosterone and steroids are very inexpensive. The applications are cookbook. No doctor needed.

The significant side effects of testosterone and steroid treatments are short term elevated blood pressure and an increase in cholesterol. These return to normal after use. Most won't experience cholesterol or blood pressure readings that register in the unhealthy ranges.

Significant side effects of EPO include a temporary increase in blood pressure and iron deficiency issues, both return to normal after use. There is a chance of heart failure if the HCT reaches above 55, but a simple and accurate measuring device available on the internet can remedy that situation.

There are no short or long-term side effects from HGH use that I've come across, although I haven't looked that closely at it.

I used to think Armstrong gave himself cancer from steroid use and I've stated that on this forum, but after doing the research, I'm backing away from that statement now. I believe his cancer was unrelated to his peds use.

helmutRoole2 said:
It's one word. Not hyphenated.

BTW, how do you type this bs? One hand on the keyboard, one hand stroking Lance's balls?

Need I trot out the photographical evidence? Boy, the look on your face when that strobe went off with Lance's schlong in your mouth... priceless.
Ahhh yes, Helmut back to his homosexual oral fixations. Perhaps you should just face up to facts and come out of the closet.

House said:
Ahhh yes, Helmut back to his homosexual oral fixations. Perhaps you should just face up to facts and come out of the closet.
It's been my experience that, those who are quick to point the finger, are almost always themselves self-loathing closeted homosexuals.

House, you wouldn't be a man of the cloth by any chance? Maybe part of the religious right?

And, as I've stated in the past, I only have eyes for Little Tommy D.

helmutRoole2 said:
It's been my experience that, those who are quick to point the finger, are almost always themselves self-loathing closeted homosexuals.
Which would explain why what I said is correct since you continually point a finger.

House, you wouldn't be a man of the cloth by any chance? Maybe part of the religious right?
Sorry, but, as usual, you are very far away from being correct. Typical.

And, as I've stated in the past, I only have eyes for Little Tommy D.
Actually your posts seem to imply that you have an erotic obsession with LA.

*yawn*

are you still proving the well known fact that you have serious esteem issues?

House said:
*yawn*

are you still proving the well known fact that you have serious esteem issues?
Right. I can't stop responding to you, House, or I will suffer another set back in my struggle with low self esteem. I must keep bashing and responding like a robot to every post House makes that is directed at me. I can't stop. I will get the last word. I must beat House at his own game of responding to responses that are based on responses that have stated the same thing over and over again to prove that I was the last to respond to the aforementioned responses.

I will respond to your next response tomorrow when I return to work.

Helmut, I get the feeling that you have doped and/or done quite a bit of drugs yourself and are trying to convince yourself (via convincing everyone around you) that you're safe and not going to start seeing health problems in the long run. Whether you're right or wrong about the article, that's the strong impression I get of your passion about doping not presenting health risks. Am I off?