Half Fairing on P-38/Phantom II: Worth the Expense?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bobinator, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. Bobinator

    Bobinator Guest

    Does the mini fairing for the Lightning P-38 and Phantom II with the LCD drop bars provide a
    speed boost? If so, how much of an improvement did you notice after putting it on your bike?
    Thanks in advance.

    > Does the mini fairing for the Lightning P-38 and Phantom II with the LCD drop bars provide a speed
    > boost? If so, how much of an improvement did you notice after putting it on your bike? Thanks in
    > advance.

    I have a P-38 with full fairing. Most often it is seen as a P-38 no fairing. It seemed simple enough
    to occasionally put the nosecone on and shield the feet and H/B from disturbing the air. I found
    that when I did this, I could see no measurable improvement over the unfaired P-
    38. It appaera as others have said that the biggest aerodynamic improvement of a SWB is a tail box.
    I tend to agree. Unless you are going to eliminate the airturbulance caused by peddling I don't
    think there is any aerodynamic benefit to be gained with a front fairing alone on a SWB.

    IMO the mini fairing is only good for keeping your fingers warm in winter. Save your money.
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Bobinator

    Bobinator Guest

    Cletus,

    Thanks for your input. A followup question: Would the Lightning low drag panneirs serve the same
    function as a tailbox? I suppose the danger of using panniers is filling them up with junk and
    weighing the bike down.

    Bob

    Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Does the mini fairing for the Lightning P-38 and Phantom II with the LCD drop bars provide a
    > > speed boost? If so, how much of an improvement did you notice after putting it on your bike?
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > I have a P-38 with full fairing. Most often it is seen as a P-38 no fairing. It seemed simple
    > enough to occasionally put the nosecone on and shield the feet and H/B from disturbing the air. I
    > found that when I did this, I could see no measurable improvement over the unfaired P-
    > 38. It appaera as others have said that the biggest aerodynamic improvement of a SWB is a tail
    > box. I tend to agree. Unless you are going to eliminate the airturbulance caused by peddling
    > I don't think there is any aerodynamic benefit to be gained with a front fairing alone on a
    > SWB.
    >
    > IMO the mini fairing is only good for keeping your fingers warm in winter. Save your money.

    > Cletus,
    >
    > Thanks for your input. A followup question: Would the Lightning low drag panneirs serve the same
    > function as a tailbox? I suppose the danger of using panniers is filling them up with junk and
    > weighing the bike down.

    I guess that is LCD's theory. I have not known anyone that had the LCD panniers. The last time I
    checked on the panniers (3 years ago) they were not available and there was no manufacturer for
    them. (They were never off the website).

    For my money, I would spend less and get Ortlieb BackRollers Not as aero but they are truly
    waterproof.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -