Half Step Gearing

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Tom Blum, Mar 23, 2003.

  1. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Someone asked about half step gearing.

    I bookmarked a site explaining gearing in complete and uttar detail.
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Port/2945/Gears/Gears.html

    I actually read it over this time. Good stuff.

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

    Tags:

  2. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    > Someone asked about half step gearing.

    That would be John Harper who is indefinitely in the Middle East with the Air Force. E-mail
    accessability is sparse for him.

    Derek

  3. Daniel Payne

    Daniel Payne Guest

    On 23-Mar-2003, "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Someone asked about half step gearing.
    >
    > I bookmarked a site explaining gearing in complete and uttar detail.
    > http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Port/2945/Gears/Gears.html
    >
    > I actually read it over this time. Good stuff.

    That would have been me, Thanks for the URL, Tom. I have pretty much decided in the benifit of
    half step gearing and decided to change my 24 - 39 - 53 chain rings to 24 - 42 - 50. with a 12
    - 34 cassette this should work out much better than changing out the cassette , adjusting the
    rear der. based on hilly/flat riding location... As you said, in our dreams, shifting is
    always this way.

    Regards Daniel dreaming and tinkering in Chester County, Pa

  4. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    If you want true half stepping with a 50 outer ring for a 12-34 - you will needs something like a 47
    middle ring which represents half of the ratio between the average jump on the cogsets.

    Because I have a 20 inch drive wheel and an 11-30 cog, I set my chain ring rations to be 54/50 which
    is roughly the 1/2 the average step in the 11-30 cogset.

    "Daniel Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > On 23-Mar-2003, "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Someone asked about half step gearing.
    > >
    > > I bookmarked a site explaining gearing in complete and uttar detail.
    > > http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Port/2945/Gears/Gears.html
    > >
    > > I actually read it over this time. Good stuff.
    >
    > That would have been me, Thanks for the URL, Tom. I have pretty much decided in the benifit of
    > half step gearing and decided to change my 24 - 39 - 53 chain rings to 24 - 42 - 50. with a 12
    > - 34 cassette this should work out much better than changing out the cassette , adjusting the
    > rear der. based on hilly/flat riding location... As you said, in our dreams, shifting is always
    > this way.
    >
    > Regards Daniel dreaming and tinkering in Chester County, Pa

  5. Daniel Payne

    Daniel Payne Guest

    On 24-Mar-2003, "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If you want true half stepping with a 50 outer ring for a 12-34 - you will needs something like a
    > 47 middle ring which represents half of the ratio between the average jump on the cogsets.

    Yes, i neglected to mention changing my middle ring to a larger one. Here is what i propose to do:

    24 42 50 11 52.4 91.6 109.1 14 41.1 72.0 85.7 16 36.0 63.0 75.0 18 32.0 56.0 66.7 20 28.8
    50.4 60.0 23 25.0 43.8 52.2 26 22.2 38.8 46.2 30 19.2 33.6 40.0 34 16.9 29.6 35.3

    this is with a 559 wheel and a standard ramped and pinned middle ring. I think the jump off of the
    granny to the middle ring may be less than crisp, but my goal is to have a large range and still be
    able to have the closer choices for the rail trail or touring in the flat areas.

    i intend to use the granny only to 'winch' myself up the steeper hills. i probably will not use
    the very crossed combinations and also will not go up more than six cogs on the granny.

    How do you like your setup? do you use the half step when shifting or do you find that you don't use
    it that much? was it worth the part and time to install considering the use you get?

    Daniel

  6. Harv

    Harv Guest

    In the old days, the mid eighties in my case, it was called "half step with granny" Most freewheels
    were still only 5 or six cogs so the half step used the mid and big ring and all the cogs. The
    granny was the small chainring and the 2 lowest cogs, which IIRC were of the 24, 28 flavor. The rule
    of thumb was to use a jump of about 12%. It's a good scheme for finding the right gear so you can
    staay in your power band, but the novelty of up- down- front- back shift drill gets old. "Daniel
    Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > On 24-Mar-2003, "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote:

    snip

    > i intend to use the granny only to 'winch' myself up the steeper hills. i probably will not use
    > the very crossed combinations and also will not go up more than six cogs on the granny.
    >
    > How do you like your setup? do you use the half step when shifting or do you find that you don't
    > use it that much? was it worth the part and time to install considering the use you get?
    >
    > Daniel

  7. Actually, the way I have my touring bike and my tandem set up is half-step plus granny. With an 8
    speed cluster the tooth difference between the middle and large chain rings was 3 teeth. This lead
    to a shifting pattern of "is it a little change in the pedaling effort = shift the front","is there
    a larger change in the pedaling effort= shift the back". This works fine.

    Tim Storey

    --
    This look left intentionally blank "harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In the old days, the mid eighties in my case, it was called "half step
    with
    > granny" Most freewheels were still only 5 or six cogs so the half step
    used
    > the mid and big ring and all the cogs. The granny was the small chainring and the 2 lowest cogs,
    > which IIRC were of the 24, 28 flavor. The rule of thumb was to use a jump of about 12%. It's a
    > good scheme for finding the right gear so you can staay in your power band, but the novelty of up-
    down-
    > front- back shift drill gets old. "Daniel Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > On 24-Mar-2003, "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > snip
    >

    > > i intend to use the granny only to 'winch' myself up the steeper hills. i probably will not
    > > use the very crossed combinations and also will not go up more than six cogs on the granny.
    > >
    > > How do you like your setup? do you use the half step when shifting or do you find that you don't
    > > use it that much? was it worth the part and time to install considering the use you get?
    > >
    > > Daniel

  8. Daniel Payne

    Daniel Payne Guest

    On 29-Mar-2003, "Timothy B. Storey" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Actually, the way I have my touring bike and my tandem set up is half-step plus granny. With an 8
    > speed cluster the tooth difference between the middle and large chain rings was 3 teeth. This lead
    > to a shifting pattern of "is it a little change in the pedaling effort = shift the front","is
    > there a larger change in the pedaling effort= shift the back". This works fine.

    This is exactly what i am hoping to do, but i can see Harv's comment of the pattern getting old and
    not using it to its full potential. But if must be nice to have it available when you are heavily
    loaded and want to stay in your power band. I can see myself using it like you do Tim, Thanks,
    Daniel [ still waiting for the last part to arrive ]