Half way there

Martin 'MSeries' Newstead

Guest
About a month ago I posted a message entitled 'It might be on', referring to
the opportunity that may open up for me to do LEJOG in August. Well things
have finally sorted themselves out and today I signed a contract for a new
permanent job which I start on August 16th. The new job is local so I can
leave my car at home and cycle or bus to work . Thus I have two weeks off,
maybe enough to do LEJOG but I feel not quite enough notice to make the
necessary arrangements. Thus, I now plan to ride from my home in Morley to
JOG, a roundabout distance of about 600 miles. I'll be camping or staying at
YHs/parents. IMHO this'll be the best part of LEJOG, certainly the part I
have been most looking forward to.

"Martin 'MSeries' Newstead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> About a month ago I posted a message entitled 'It might be on', referring

> the opportunity that may open up for me to do LEJOG in August. Well things
> have finally sorted themselves out and today I signed a contract for a new
> permanent job which I start on August 16th. The new job is local so I can
> leave my car at home and cycle or bus to work . Thus I have two weeks off,
> maybe enough to do LEJOG but I feel not quite enough notice to make the
> necessary arrangements. Thus, I now plan to ride from my home in Morley to
> JOG, a roundabout distance of about 600 miles. I'll be camping or staying

at
> YHs/parents. IMHO this'll be the best part of LEJOG, certainly the part I
> have been most looking forward to.

Best of luck.

I will keep the hills of Morley warm for you.

Paul F

---

Martin 'MSeries' Newstead [email protected] opined the
following...
> About a month ago I posted a message entitled 'It might be on', referring to
> the opportunity that may open up for me to do LEJOG in August. Well things
> have finally sorted themselves out and today I signed a contract for a new
> permanent job which I start on August 16th. The new job is local so I can
> leave my car at home and cycle or bus to work . Thus I have two weeks off,
> maybe enough to do LEJOG but I feel not quite enough notice to make the
> necessary arrangements. Thus, I now plan to ride from my home in Morley to
> JOG, a roundabout distance of about 600 miles. I'll be camping or staying at
> YHs/parents. IMHO this'll be the best part of LEJOG, certainly the part I
> have been most looking forward to.

Cool. Good luck. A cup of tea (And a bed if you need it) can be provided
in Edinburgh.

Jon

Jon Senior wrote:
> Martin 'MSeries' Newstead [email protected] opined the
> following...
>> About a month ago I posted a message entitled 'It might be on',
>> referring to the opportunity that may open up for me to do LEJOG in
>> August. Well things have finally sorted themselves out and today I
>> signed a contract for a new permanent job which I start on August
>> 16th. The new job is local so I can leave my car at home and cycle
>> or bus to work . Thus I have two weeks off, maybe enough to do LEJOG
>> but I feel not quite enough notice to make the necessary
>> arrangements. Thus, I now plan to ride from my home in Morley to
>> JOG, a roundabout distance of about 600 miles. I'll be camping or
>> staying at YHs/parents. IMHO this'll be the best part of LEJOG,
>> certainly the part I have been most looking forward to.

> Cool. Good luck. A cup of tea (And a bed if you need it) can be
> provided
> in Edinburgh.
>
> Jon

YHM Jon

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:08:26 +0100, in <[email protected]>,
"Martin 'MSeries' Newstead" <[email protected]> wrote:

>About a month ago I posted a message entitled 'It might be on', referring to
>the opportunity that may open up for me to do LEJOG in August. Well things
>have finally sorted themselves out and today I signed a contract for a new
>permanent job which I start on August 16th. The new job is local so I can
>leave my car at home and cycle or bus to work . Thus I have two weeks off,
>maybe enough to do LEJOG but I feel not quite enough notice to make the
>necessary arrangements. Thus, I now plan to ride from my home in Morley to
>JOG, a roundabout distance of about 600 miles. I'll be camping or staying at
>YHs/parents. IMHO this'll be the best part of LEJOG, certainly the part I
>have been most looking forward to.

Excellent! Scotland is such a fab place.

Enjoy. Running commentary would be appreciated.

--
"Any accidents or injuries in the last two years, sir"?

"Yes. I broke my hand last month, punching a weasel lawyer
in the mouth".

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:08:26 +0100, "Martin 'MSeries' Newstead"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>About a month ago I posted a message entitled 'It might be on', referring to
>the opportunity that may open up for me to do LEJOG in August. Well things
>have finally sorted themselves out and today I signed a contract for a new
>permanent job which I start on August 16th. The new job is local so I can
>leave my car at home and cycle or bus to work . Thus I have two weeks off,
>maybe enough to do LEJOG but I feel not quite enough notice to make the
>necessary arrangements. Thus, I now plan to ride from my home in Morley to
>JOG, a roundabout distance of about 600 miles. I'll be camping or staying at
>YHs/parents. IMHO this'll be the best part of LEJOG, certainly the part I
>have been most looking forward to.

When are you leaving?

Having cycled as far as southern Scotland last year, I'm planning to
cycle from Keswick to JOG, departing 2 August. I plan to (wild) camp
Monday in the Kielder Forest, and be in Edinburgh sometime Wednesday.

Could it be that our paths will cross?

My email is k*i*j*e* dont @ spam *f*r*e*e*u*k* . *c*o*m
(Remove the "dont", "spam" and the stars).

<[email protected]> wrote:

>About a month ago I posted a message entitled 'It might be on', referring to
>the opportunity that may open up for me to do LEJOG in August. Well things
>have finally sorted themselves out and today I signed a contract for a new
>permanent job which I start on August 16th. The new job is local so I can
>leave my car at home and cycle or bus to work . Thus I have two weeks off,
>maybe enough to do LEJOG but I feel not quite enough notice to make the
>necessary arrangements. Thus, I now plan to ride from my home in Morley to
>JOG, a roundabout distance of about 600 miles. I'll be camping or staying at
>YHs/parents. IMHO this'll be the best part of LEJOG, certainly the part I
>have been most looking forward to.

When are you leaving?

Having cycled as far as southern Scotland last year, I'm planning to
cycle from Keswick to JOG, departing 2 August. I plan to (wild) camp
Monday in the Kielder Forest, and be in Edinburgh sometime Wednesday.

Could it be that our paths will cross?

My email is k*i*j*e* dont @ spam *f*r*e*e*u*k* . *c*o*m
(Remove the "dont", "spam" and the stars).

I'm departing on the 4th August and will be in Edinburgh three days later. My route is as follows

Leeds - Hartlepool
Hartlepool - somewhere in the Scottish Borders
Borders - Edinburgh
Edinburgh - somewhere near Blairgowrie
up the road past Braemar and The Lecht
on through Inverness up to the north coast (Bettyhill) and across to JOG. Then I'll ride back to Inverness to catch my train home (to York actually, then ride home from there. GNER to York is £24, GNER+ATN/TPE to Leeds via York is closer to £50, I may buy another ticket in York if I don't fancy the last 35 miles.)

I'll be riding my blue Raleigh Royal, either 4 or two blue panniers, black handlebar bag.

I have no plans to update my progress as I go, I simply don't have the technology - sorry

MSeries <[email protected]> writes:

>up the road past Braemar and The Lecht

That's a serious day which we hope to do sometime in the future.

>on through Inverness up to the north coast (Bettyhill) and across to
>JOG.

Going up to the North coast there are 2 options, one ending at Bettyhill
and the other at Tongue. We took the latter one, following the NCN1, and
it was well worth it, a lovely ride towards and around Ben Loyal. It is
longer and hillier though (also adding the bit between Tongue and
Bettyhill).
Warning about Bettyhill: I was having an off day and very much looking
forward to coffee there. Did the couple of steep climbs from Tongue, did
the final descent down to the coast again, and then discovered where the
last part of the village name comes from...

Roos

Thanks for the comments on the route, I'll check them out when I get access to my maps tonight. The Glenshee, Braemar, Lecht road is something I am looking forward to and will be a hightlight of the trip for me. I have only travelled as far as the Glenshee ski area on that road before and that was by car in the ski season. Keep your fingers crossed for good weather for me. By deciding not to squeeze LEJOG into two weeks gives me an extra day or so to spend in Scotland.

MSeries wrote:

> I have no plans to update my progress as I go, I simply don't have the
> technology - sorry

FWIW I beleive 20Six's free weblog service allows you to post
entries via SMS:

http://www.20six.co.uk/services/weblog.htm

Although that doesn't help you put stuff on usenet, I thought I'd
mention it.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

MSeries wrote:
> Thanks for the comments on the route, I'll check them out when I get
> access to my maps tonight. The Glenshee, Braemar, Lecht road is
> something I am looking forward to and will be a hightlight of the trip
> for me.

If you swing up through Blairgowrie then McDonalds Cheese Shop (just
before you finally leave town, on the right a little way past the
garage) is well worth a call. They do very nice ice creams for some
carb loading before the A93 proper as well as a fab selection of
properly kept cheeses that would make a sound contribution to lunch or
dinner (their Gruyere is particularly good!). If you'll be headed
through Dundee drop us a line if you fancy a brew etc. etc.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Jeremy Collins <[email protected]> wrote in news:nmKNc.370$%o1.68
@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:

> FWIW I beleive 20Six's free weblog service allows you to post
> entries via SMS:

Tht wld b 2 dfclt 2 typ ^ a day rprt 4 me!

(or whatever that SMS language **** the fashion victims use these days is)

Graeme

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:45:18 GMT, Graeme
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Jeremy Collins <[email protected]> wrote in news:nmKNc.370$%o1.68
>@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:
>
>> FWIW I beleive 20Six's free weblog service allows you to post
>> entries via SMS:
>>

>Tht wld b 2 dfclt 2 typ ^ a day rprt 4 me!
>
>(or whatever that SMS language **** the fashion victims use these days is)

Last year I sent a text message of me progress daily to my brother.
He passed the progress onto the rest of my family and friends.

A fully charged mobile phone will last 20 long text messages, so long
as the phone is switched off 23.5 hour per day - but the problem I had
was that people kept sending my encouraging text messages which took
its toll on the battery.

A hub dynamo to recharge a mobile phone would be dead handy.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:26:41 +0100, in
<[email protected]>, Gonzalez
<[email protected]> wrote:
>A fully charged mobile phone will last 20 long text messages, so long
>as the phone is switched off 23.5 hour per day - but the problem I had
>was that people kept sending my encouraging text messages which took
>its toll on the battery.

Holy Sprockets, what sort of mobile phone are you using? My Nokia 7210
lasts a week on one battery, being switched on continuously, and
sending around ten messages per day. I rarely use it for voice calls
but have plenty of incoming text messages when I'm on holiday. I have
two spare batteries giving me around 3 weeks of life in total.

Turning off the ring and vibrate also helps save power.

>A hub dynamo to recharge a mobile phone would be dead handy.

Or a solar charger (see www.artybee.net/html/gadgets.html) which will
trickle charge it nicely.
--
"Any accidents or injuries in the last two years, sir"?

"Yes. I broke my hand last month, punching a weasel lawyer
in the mouth".

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:58:12 +0100, Richard Bates
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:26:41 +0100, in
><[email protected]>, Gonzalez
><[email protected]> wrote:
>>A fully charged mobile phone will last 20 long text messages, so long
>>as the phone is switched off 23.5 hour per day - but the problem I had
>>was that people kept sending my encouraging text messages which took
>>its toll on the battery.

>Holy Sprockets, what sort of mobile phone are you using? My Nokia 7210
>lasts a week on one battery, being switched on continuously, and
>sending around ten messages per day. I rarely use it for voice calls
>but have plenty of incoming text messages when I'm on holiday. I have
>two spare batteries giving me around 3 weeks of life in total.

How do I know the model number?

It is blue with orange sides and says Nokia above the screen.

The battery lasts about five days with no calls.

My old phone was light blue with elastic straps and a clip which could
be attached to a rucksack. Also a Nokia.

The battery would last about three days without any calls.

Gonzalez <[email protected]> writes:
> How do I know the model number?
>
> It is blue with orange sides and says Nokia above the screen.
>
> The battery lasts about five days with no calls.

Sounds like a Nokia 3510i, then.