Halfords Apollo bikes

On Sat, 01 May 2004 11:28:03 GMT, Andy Leighton <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>I don't think Wetherspoons is a particularly good example.
>They had a lot of good will from the RA community when they
>started, but due to a lot of incompetent managers, cellar
>and serving staff seem to have lost that.

My point was more that they actively sell the wetherspoons
career - they are working very hard to up the game in the
quality of managers.

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> writes:

> Having spent 15 years as Chairman or Director of quite a
> few reasonably sized companies I can tell you employees
> are considered important assets by good

I should stop trying to do smart-ass humour that late at
night. Yes, I agree that employees are (or should be)
important, and that colloquially you might describe them
as "assets". All I was saying is that you'd do more than
raise a few eyebrows if you tried listing them that way in
the accounts.

-dan

--
"please make sure that the person is your friend before
you confirm"

On Sat, 1 May 2004 11:56:19 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

> Daniel Barlow wrote:
>>
>> Having spent three years or so as director of a (one-man)
>> company, I can say with confidence that it is not true.
>> If you list your employees as assets, the
>> accountants/auditors will tend to pick up on
>> it.
>>

> A one-man company is probably a bit misleading. There are
> plenty of examples the other way, not least of which is
> key-man insurance which provides compensation for the loss
> in value of a company if it loses a key individual. Having
> spent 15 years as Chairman or Director of quite a few
> reasonably sized companies I can tell you employees are
> considered important assets by good companies. After all
> your competitors can have identical bricks and mortar and
> IT systems to you, so its your people and the way you
> allow them to express their abilities that differentiate
> you from your competition.
>
> Tony

I think it would be more useful to say that employees are
'critical success factors' than 'assets' and even then very
very few of them are considered so indispensible that they
warrant key-man insurance.

It's culture, environment and systems that provide most of
the differentiation, not the people.
--
Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "I feel so miserable
without you, it's almost like having you here." -Stephen

On Sat, 01 May 2004 12:24:40 +0100, Daniel Barlow <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>All I was saying is that you'd do more than raise a few
>eyebrows if you tried listing them that way in the
>accounts.

Which qualifies as a smart-ass comment, obv. ;-)

--
Guy
===

On Sat, 01 May 2004 12:24:40 +0100, Daniel Barlow wrote:

> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Having spent 15 years as Chairman or Director of quite a
>> few reasonably sized companies I can tell you employees
>> are considered important assets by good
>
> I should stop trying to do smart-ass humour that late
> at night.

I found it funny and didn't feel the need to slap you down.

--
Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "I've just learned about
his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial." - Irvin S.

Michael MacClancy wrote:

> I think it would be more useful to say that employees are
> 'critical success factors' than 'assets' and even then
> very very few of them are considered so indispensible that
> they warrant key-man insurance.
>
> It's culture, environment and systems that provide most of
> the differentiation, not the people.

This could be the start of a long OT debate so I'll pass

Tony

On Sat, 1 May 2004 19:03:59 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

> Michael MacClancy wrote:
>>
>> I think it would be more useful to say that employees are
>> 'critical success factors' than 'assets' and even then
>> very very few of them are considered so indispensible
>> that they warrant key-man insurance.
>>
>> It's culture, environment and systems that provide most
>> of the differentiation, not the people.
>
> This could be the start of a long OT debate so I'll pass
>
> Tony

I'm glad you said that. It would almost certainly be a
chicken and egg discussion. ;-)
--
Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "He is not only dull
himself, he is the cause of dullness in others." -Samuel