Halfords question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by User, Apr 7, 2003.

  1. User

    User Guest

    I`ve never posted to this group before, but I`ve learned a hell of a lot about bikes by just reading
    the posts. So I wonder if anyone can offer an opinion on a dispute I had yesteday with a Halfords
    superstore manager. I bought a Carrera Kraken special edition last July and have returned the bike
    on three occassions for repair, under warranty, for a number of faults. The most persistent is a
    worrying clunk from the rear derailleur as it hits the chainstay when travelling over any kind of
    bump. Going off a kerb (even slowly) produces an audible clunk. I have had to wind tape round the
    chainstay to minimise the impact. The store manager told me that this is a common fault with all
    mountain bikes, including bikes built by Cannondale and Trek. There was he said nothing which could
    be done and I would have to learn to live with it. I`m afraid I am not yet knowledgeable enough to
    challenge his statement and I was wondering if anyone can offer an opinion. Thanks Gordon

    Tags:

  2. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In a brief moment of lucidity user scribbled:

    > I`ve never posted to this group before, but I`ve learned a hell of a lot about bikes by just
    > reading the posts. So I wonder if anyone can offer an opinion on a dispute I had yesteday with a
    > Halfords superstore manager. I bought a Carrera Kraken special edition last July and have returned
    > the bike on three occassions for repair, under warranty, for a number of faults. The most
    > persistent is a worrying clunk from the rear derailleur as it hits the chainstay when travelling
    > over any kind of bump. Going off a kerb (even slowly) produces an audible clunk. I have had to
    > wind tape round the chainstay to minimise the impact. The store manager told me that this is a
    > common fault with all mountain bikes, including bikes built by Cannondale and Trek. There was he
    > said nothing which could be done and I would have to learn to live with it. I`m afraid I am not
    > yet knowledgeable enough to challenge his statement and I was wondering if anyone can offer an
    > opinion. Thanks Gordon

    It _is_ a common problem with lower-end componentry and some bike designs. It's a combination of
    chain suck, the un-damped springs in the derailleur snapping everything back, rather than coping
    with quick acting forces, and a slightly incorrectly adjusted derailleur. A re-alignment of the
    derailleur can help by moving the body further away from the chain stay. BUT, you have to be
    careful, it only needs to move by millimetres. Make sure you don't overdo it and move it away so
    much that it's out of the chain line. If you do, then you may get chain skip (jumping off the cogs),
    or worse .. ;) I'd guess it doesn't work in all gear combinations, only some that leave the chain
    pretty slack.

    If everything is properly adjusted there is no way a derailleur body should connect with the chain
    stay at all.

    --

    Completed 1581 Seti work units in 12041 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    user <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I`ve never posted to this group before, but I`ve learned a hell of a lot about bikes by just
    > reading the posts. So I wonder if anyone can offer an opinion on a dispute I had yesteday with a
    > Halfords superstore manager. I bought a Carrera Kraken special edition last July and have returned
    > the bike on three occassions for repair, under warranty, for a number of faults. The most
    > persistent is a worrying clunk from the rear derailleur as it hits the chainstay when travelling
    > over any kind of bump. Going off a kerb (even slowly) produces an audible clunk. I have had to
    > wind tape round the chainstay to minimise the impact. The store manager told me that this is a
    > common fault with all mountain bikes, including bikes built by Cannondale and Trek. There was he
    > said nothing which could be done and I would have to learn to live with it. I`m afraid I am not
    > yet knowledgeable enough to challenge his statement and I was wondering if anyone can offer an
    > opinion. Thanks Gordon

    Are you sure its the rear derailleur and not the chain that's hitting? If you are in the small front
    ring and small rear cog that's quite likely to happen. You can buy chainstay protectors (including
    from Halfords) to protect the chainstay. Its why many mountain bikers change to the big/big
    combination on rocky downhills. Try some other gear combinations that keep the chain tighter.

    Tony
    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In a brief moment of lucidity Tony Raven scribbled:

    > user <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I`ve never posted to this group before, but I`ve learned a hell of a lot about bikes by just
    >> reading the posts. So I wonder if anyone can offer an opinion on a dispute I had yesteday with a
    >> Halfords superstore manager. I bought a Carrera Kraken special edition last July and have
    >> returned the bike on three occassions for repair, under warranty, for a number of faults. The
    >> most persistent is a worrying clunk from the rear derailleur as it hits the chainstay when
    >> travelling over any kind of bump. Going off a kerb (even slowly) produces an audible clunk. I
    >> have had to wind tape round the chainstay to minimise the impact. The store manager told me that
    >> this is a common fault with all mountain bikes, including bikes built by Cannondale and Trek.
    >> There was he said nothing which could be done and I would have to learn to live with it. I`m
    >> afraid I am not yet knowledgeable enough to challenge his statement and I was wondering if anyone
    >> can offer an opinion. Thanks Gordon
    >
    > Are you sure its the rear derailleur and not the chain that's hitting? If you are in the small
    > front ring and small rear cog that's quite likely to happen. You can buy chainstay protectors
    > (including from Halfords) to protect the chainstay. Its why many mountain bikers change to the
    > big/big combination on rocky downhills. Try some other gear combinations that keep the chain
    > tighter.
    >
    > Tony

    I agree, but I _have_ seen many derailleurs hitting the underside of the chainstays, exactly
    as described by the P .. ;) Generally on bikes bought from Makro, the local garage,
    supermarkets etc .. ;)

    --

    Completed 1581 Seti work units in 12041 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  5. User

    User Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Are you sure its the rear derailleur and not the chain that's hitting? If you are in the small
    >> front ring and small rear cog that's quite likely to happen. You can buy chainstay protectors
    >> (including from Halfords) to protect the chainstay. Its why many mountain bikers change to the
    >> big/big combination on rocky downhills. Try some other gear combinations that keep the chain
    >> tighter.
    >>
    >> Tony

    Its definitely the derailleur itself and it is only prevented from hitting by using a very small
    range of gear combinations which stretch the chain to the greatest extent.

    >I agree, but I _have_ seen many derailleurs hitting the underside of the chainstays, exactly as
    >described by the P .. ;) Generally on bikes bought from Makro, the local garage, supermarkets
    >etc .. ;)

    This bike cost a whisker off £400. The components didn`t appear to be too bad for the price. The
    gears are Deore, shifters Deore, 7005 Alu frame,disks are Tektro, suspension RCS, rims are Alexis.
    The bike is pleasant to ride and I would be happy with it if it wern`t for the constant clunk from
    the derailleur if you go over any bump bigger then a matchstick. Could the chain be too long?

    Gordon

  6. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 22:12:01 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Are you sure its the rear derailleur and not the chain that's hitting? If you are in the small
    > front ring and small rear cog that's quite likely to happen. You can buy chainstay protectors
    > (including from Halfords) to protect the chainstay. Its why many mountain bikers change to the
    > big/big combination on rocky downhills. Try some other gear combinations that keep the chain
    > tighter.

    Although in general try to avoid big-big and small-small combinations of front and rear cogs -
    they're bad for your chain.

    Ian

    --
    Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    user wrote:

    > This bike cost a whisker off £400. The components didn`t appear to be too bad for the price. The
    > gears are Deore, shifters Deore, 7005 Alu frame,disks are Tektro, suspension RCS, rims are Alexis.
    > The bike is pleasant to ride and I would be happy with it if it wern`t for the constant clunk from
    > the derailleur if you go over any bump bigger then a matchstick. Could the chain be too long?

    To check, put the chain in the big ring + largest cog combination and see the info and pics here:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchainlength.shtml

    Are you able to take any pictures and post them to the web? Might help us with the whole problem if
    we see what the mech and chain look like, etc.

    Sorry I don't know what the soloution is. I've never seen a mech hit a chain stay ...although that
    would explain an alarming noise I've heard on some bikes!

    I think you should take the bike to another bike shop to get a second opinion. Then, if there's
    anything seriously wrong (ie. a part needs replacing) go back to Halfords and /demand/ (in writing
    if necessary) that they sort it out. Otherwise if it's just an adjustment thing, get the other shop
    to help and forget Halfords.

    ~PB

  8. User

    User Guest

    On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:03:15 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >user wrote:
    >
    >> This bike cost a whisker off £400. The components didn`t appear to be too bad for the price. The
    >> gears are Deore, shifters Deore, 7005 Alu frame,disks are Tektro, suspension RCS, rims are
    >> Alexis. The bike is pleasant to ride and I would be happy with it if it wern`t for the constant
    >> clunk from the derailleur if you go over any bump bigger then a matchstick. Could the chain be
    >> too long?
    >
    >To check, put the chain in the big ring + largest cog combination and see the info and pics here:
    >http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchainlength.shtml
    >
    >Are you able to take any pictures and post them to the web? Might help us with the whole problem if
    >we see what the mech and chain look like, etc.
    >
    >Sorry I don't know what the soloution is. I've never seen a mech hit a chain stay ...although that
    >would explain an alarming noise I've heard on some bikes!
    >
    >I think you should take the bike to another bike shop to get a second opinion. Then, if there's
    >anything seriously wrong (ie. a part needs replacing) go back to Halfords and /demand/ (in writing
    >if necessary) that they sort it out. Otherwise if it's just an adjustment thing, get the other shop
    >to help and forget Halfords.
    >
    >~PB

    Took your advice. Checked out the park tool site and on the basis of their advice I took a link out
    of the chain. Fifteen minutes and the problem appears to have been solved!. Further benefit is
    improved gear shifts. Could it have been that simple? My fingers are firmly crossed. Its taken
    Halfords 9 months to fail to solve the problem. So much for the benefits of warranties. Gordon

  9. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In a brief moment of lucidity user scribbled:

    > On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:03:15 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
    >
    >> user wrote:
    >>
    >>> This bike cost a whisker off £400. The components didn`t appear to be too bad for the price. The
    >>> gears are Deore, shifters Deore, 7005 Alu frame,disks are Tektro, suspension RCS, rims are
    >>> Alexis. The bike is pleasant to ride and I would be happy with it if it wern`t for the constant
    >>> clunk from the derailleur if you go over any bump bigger then a matchstick. Could the chain be
    >>> too long?
    >>
    >> To check, put the chain in the big ring + largest cog combination and see the info and pics here:
    >> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQchainlength.shtml
    >
    > Took your advice. Checked out the park tool site and on the basis of their advice I took a link
    > out of the chain. Fifteen minutes and the problem appears to have been solved!. Further benefit is
    > improved gear shifts. Could it have been that simple? My fingers are firmly crossed. Its taken
    > Halfords 9 months to fail to solve the problem. So much for the benefits of warranties. Gordon

    Heheheh, a chain link removal was my next check, I generally try one thing at a time to 'fix'
    problems .. I also *assumed* that the chain should have been the correct length .. though I did say
    "I'd guess it doesn't work in all gear combinations, only some that leave the chain pretty slack."

    Glad you got it sorted .. ;)

    --

    Completed 1581 Seti work units in 12041 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  10. Al Ford

    Al Ford Guest

    The Kraken is actually a very good bike for the money. It's made by Meridia (who also make GT bikes,
    and a lot of Specialized bikes).

    Check that the deraillure has not flicked past the stopper where the lower cage (with the jockey
    wheels) attaches to the main body of the mech. I've seen numerous shimano rear deraillures suffering
    from a problem where the lower cage goes past the stopper and is pushed upwards towards the
    chainstay.

    For those wondering WTF I am on about, it's a similar effect to when your chain jumps off into the
    bottom bracket.and the deraillure is dragged forward.

  11. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    user wrote:
    > Took your advice. Checked out the park tool site and on the basis of their advice I took a link
    > out of the chain. Fifteen minutes and the problem appears to have been solved!. Further benefit is
    > improved gear shifts. Could it have been that simple?

    Probably :) Let us know how it all is after another 20 miles.

    > My fingers are firmly crossed. Its taken Halfords 9 months to fail to solve the problem. So much
    > for the benefits of warranties.

    ~PB

  12. User

    User Guest

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 00:15:19 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >user wrote:
    >> Took your advice. Checked out the park tool site and on the basis of their advice I took a link
    >> out of the chain. Fifteen minutes and the problem appears to have been solved!. Further benefit
    >> is improved gear shifts. Could it have been that simple?
    >
    >Probably :) Let us know how it all is after another 20 miles.
    >
    >> My fingers are firmly crossed. Its taken Halfords 9 months to fail to solve the problem. So much
    >> for the benefits of warranties.
    >
    >~PB

    Wiil do. Thanks for all the help and advice.Really appreciate it. Gordon