Halfraurds buy Evans Cycles ?

Pete Whelan

Guest
Whilst on a train the ther day, I'm fairly sure I saw something that
says Evans Cyles are to be sold to Halfords as part of their Bike Hut chain.

Whilst I don't particularly like either shop, I can't help feeling it
will be a bad thing. Somehow think there will soon be some Evans Car
shop, etc.

What will the CTC shop be like .... can it get any worse

Pete Whelan wrote:
> Whilst on a train the ther day, I'm fairly sure I saw something that
> says Evans Cyles are to be sold to Halfords as part of their Bike Hut
> chain.

BikeBiz says not quite as the report you saw.

http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

"Pete Whelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Whilst on a train the ther day, I'm fairly sure I saw something that says
> Evans Cyles are to be sold to Halfords as part of their Bike Hut chain.
>
> Whilst I don't particularly like either shop, I can't help feeling it will
> be a bad thing. Somehow think there will soon be some Evans Car shop,
> etc.
>
> What will the CTC shop be like .... can it get any worse

http://www.bikebiz.com/Evans-Cycles-is-for-sale

"UPDATED: Retail Week says Evans Cycles is up for sale. The magazine reckons
Halfords will be interested in acquiring the 25-store IBD chain. However,
the Evans Cycles chairman told BikeBiz the company is not for sale, saying
Evans is seeking a minority partner to help fund expansion."

wafflycat wrote:

> http://www.bikebiz.com/Evans-Cycles-is-for-sale
>
> "UPDATED: Retail Week says Evans Cycles is up for sale. The magazine
> reckons Halfords will be interested in acquiring the 25-store IBD chain.
> However, the Evans Cycles chairman told BikeBiz the company is not for
> sale, saying Evans is seeking a minority partner to help fund expansion."

IME whenever a CEO denies anything, it turns out that the very same
thing is announced a short while later as part of the business plan.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Evolution is a harsh mistress.

"Don Whybrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> wafflycat wrote:
>>
>> http://www.bikebiz.com/Evans-Cycles-is-for-sale
>>
>> "UPDATED: Retail Week says Evans Cycles is up for sale. The magazine
>> reckons Halfords will be interested in acquiring the 25-store IBD chain.
>> However, the Evans Cycles chairman told BikeBiz the company is not for
>> sale, saying Evans is seeking a minority partner to help fund expansion."

> IME whenever a CEO denies anything, it turns out that the very same thing
> is announced a short while later as part of the business plan.

I can understand why you may think that :)

Pete Whelan wrote:

> Whilst on a train the ther day, I'm fairly sure I saw something that
> says Evans Cyles are to be sold to Halfords as part of their Bike Hut chain.
>
> Whilst I don't particularly like either shop, I can't help feeling it
> will be a bad thing. Somehow think there will soon be some Evans Car
> shop, etc.

Oh how times change.
i still remember sitting in the workshop of the _real_ Evans when it was a
proper bike shop in Kennington Road, discussing having a frame built.

> What will the CTC shop be like .... can it get any worse

JJB Sports? Woollies?

John B