Hallo! Anyone knows, where I can buy good cycling maps(guides) in London?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by klimek, Apr 28, 2006.

  1. klimek

    klimek Guest

    Tags:

  2. vernon

    vernon Guest

    "klimek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm interesting in Germany, Holland and Belgium cycling maps .
    > I found some maps here http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php , are
    > they good maps?

    They are not very good at all. They lack detail.

    You can't beat going into a well stocked shop and eyeballing the maps for
    yourself.

    As for a place in London...how about Foyles?

    The better ranches of bookshop chains normally have a good range of maps -
    at least the ones in Leeds do.

  3. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "klimek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm interesting in Germany, Holland and Belgium cycling maps .
    > I found some maps here http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php , are
    > they good maps?
    > Thank you in advance

    Sustrans deal only ( or mainly) in UK maps and many of those are directly
    tied to the Sustrans routes which wander all over the place in their efforts
    to avoid roads!

    If you want to buy on Net I suggest you have a look at www.Stanfords.co.uk
    who are very good. But as Vernon says above it is best to go and have a look
    at what you are buying in a real shop.

    I have bought from Amazon occasionally but they sometimes take an age to
    deliver and have let me down on a few occasions. But they aren't very "map
    orientated"!

    You can also look at www.esterbauer.com for a whole range of cycling
    specific maps and guides covering much of Europe but the site is in German!
    And I don't think that they actually sell from there when I think about
    t -- but you get a good idea of the sort of detail available.
    --
    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,

  4. Andy M

    Andy M Guest

    klimek wrote:
    > I'm interesting in Germany, Holland and Belgium cycling maps .
    > I found some maps here http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php , are
    > they good maps?
    > Thank you in advance

    Not really sure what criteria makes a good cycling map.

    In germany I have ADAC maps (equivalent of AA), which clearly identify
    cyclepaths, footpaths, including the national and European route numbers.

    In Holland, I used to use Falk (or is it Valk?), which were very similar.

    Both the above are 'the standard' maps locally... ie walk into any
    bookstore, tourist info, ADAC shop etc and that's what you'll see. ADAC
    has key in German, English and French. The Dutch ones I cant remember.

    Belgium? I'd guess they have the Valk/Falk ones too.

    --
    AndyM.

  5. John Rowland

    John Rowland Guest

  6. vernon

    vernon Guest

    "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "klimek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> I'm interesting in Germany, Holland and Belgium cycling maps .
    >> I found some maps here http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php , are
    >> they good maps?

    > They are not very good at all. They lack detail.
    >
    > You can't beat going into a well stocked shop and eyeballing the maps for
    > yourself.
    >
    > As for a place in London...how about Foyles?
    >
    > The better ranches of bookshop chains normally have a good range of maps -
    > at least the ones in Leeds do.

    I'll expand upon my previous answer,

    The original poster's link leads to the generic index of Sustrans maps.
    Sustrans maps of the NCN routes are very good providing one does not stray
    off the strips surrounding the route

    The maps for Germany, Holland and Belgium are dire and are not created byor
    for Sustrans. Last year I looked at the French one in a book shop with a
    view of using it for a Channel to Med ride - it was totally useless. There
    was insufficient detail off route for it to be useful. The amount of
    on-route info was barely useable . To make sure that it wasn't an
    aberration I looked at the Begian and Dutch maps and they too were devoid of
    useful infomation.

  7. Andy M

    Andy M Guest

    klimek wrote:
    > I'm interesting in Germany, Holland and Belgium cycling maps .
    > I found some maps here http://www.sustransshop.co.uk/index.php , are
    > they good maps?
    > Thank you in advance

    Just got a new ADFC (Allgemeiner Deutscher Fahrrad-Club) map. Covers
    the local area in Germany, with all the cycle routes, indicating all the
    local, regional and European route numbers (both cycle and walking
    routes), and ADFC's own recommended tours.

    Better still, being a 'cycling' map, the point-to-point distance markers
    are all for the cycle/walking routes, as are the single/double arrows
    indicating steepness of hills. Even indicates danger spots where a
    cycle track has to briefly share a busy road.

    http://www.adfc.de
    (all in German, and the online shop is totally rubbish!)

    They are made by Meki afaict. This is the one I have...
    http://www.meki-landkarten.de/produkte_radwanderkarten_da-di.html

    --
    AndyM.