Halo Combat Wheelset - 26 inch

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by dannyfrankszzz, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Hi, it's been a while since I last visited the forum but here I am again. I'm making some upgrades to my bike.

    Can anyone give me some advice on this wheelset:
    Halo Combat Wheelset - 26 inch. They're being offered for £112 which seems like a good deal to me. However, I don't know much about them. I hear that they're pretty strong. However, my purposes would only be for commuting/touring and not really any offroad or DH stuff, which seems to be what they're designed for. Therefore, if I buy them, would I be carrying more weight than necessary:

    Halo 36mm Combat Multi rims with eyelets
    Stainless Steel 14g spokes and brass nipples
    36H loose ball Disc compatible 8/9 spd hubs
    1350g front
    1555g rear

    My last pair were Shimano Deore hubs with Mavic Rims.

    Also, the tyres that I use are Schwalbe Marathon Slicks 1.35" - would the wheels be too wide to fit these tyres or what?

    Look forward to hearing your opinions - thanks. Danny.

    Tags:

  2. In message <[email protected]>,
    dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]> writes
    >Hi, it's been a while since I last visited the forum but
    >here I am again. I'm making some upgrades to my bike.

    >Can anyone give me some advice on this wheelset: Halo
    >Combat Wheelset - 26 inch. They're being offered for £112
    >which seems like a good deal to
    >me. However, I don't know much about them. I hear that
    > they're pretty
    strong. However, my purposes would only be for
    commuting/touring and not really any offroad or DH stuff,
    which seems to be what they're designed for. Therefore, if I
    buy them, would I be carrying more weight than necessary:

    They are designed for DH/DS/jump and as a budget wheelset
    for that they're not bad. For anything else they are heavy
    and the rims are very wide. For touring I'd suggest some
    decent Mavic F519s or similar on a good hub like Shimano, or
    if you want sealed cartridge bearings Hope or
    DT. The open bearings allow easier servicing (if you're on
    the road this can be a help!) and need less and more
    compact tools. Sealed cartridge bearings are usually
    better sealed and need much less servicing, but when
    they need new bearings they can be a pain to swap em out
    on the road. :)

    For a touch more than the 112UKP you want to spend I'd look
    at F519 rims on Shimano Deore/LX/XT hubs with double butted
    spokes and brass nipples. Just make sure you get them from a
    good wheelbuilder and they should last you years. It does of
    course largely depend on the touring you want to do. If it
    includes descents down Mt Whistler you may need something
    more robust! :)

    My last pair were Shimano Deore hubs with Mavic Rims.

    Also, the tyres that I use are Schwalbe Marathon
    Slicks 1.35" - would the wheels be too wide to fit
    these tyres or what?

    You can try although it may be a bit of a stretch :)

    --
    Thomas Letherby

  3. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Hi, thanks for getting back to me. You've pretty much answered my questions. I'm going to opt for the Mavic rims with LX hub.

  4. Md

    Md Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:

    > Can anyone give me some advice on this wheelset:
    > Halo Combat
    Wheelset
    > - 26 inch. They're being offered for £112 which seems like
    > a good deal to me. However, I don't know much about
    > them. I hear that they're pretty strong. However, my
    > purposes would only be for commuting/touring and not
    > really any offroad or DH stuff, which
    seems
    > to be what they're designed for. Therefore, if I buy
    > them, would I
    be
    > carrying more weight than necessary:

    Pretty much overkill for what you intend to use them for.

    Have a look at www.merlincycles.co.uk. A popular and oft-
    recommended wheel builder (it's where mine came from). If
    you don't need disc capable hubs, they have a several decent
    looking specials with pairs of Deore/LX hubs and Mavic rims
    for under £70 under the "Sale Wheels" section. The Deore hubs/Fir-
    232 rims are a bargain for £52.50 - Fir being a decent
    enough rim from reviews and forum messages, they're just not
    well known like Mavic.

    --

    Regards,

    Mark Davies

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    MD wrote:
    > dannyfrankszzz wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone give me some advice on this wheelset: Halo
    >> Combat Wheelset
    >> - 26 inch. They're being offered for £112 which seems
    >> like a good deal to me. However, I don't know much
    >> about them. I hear that they're pretty strong. However,
    >> my purposes would only be for commuting/touring and not
    >> really any offroad or DH stuff, which seems to be what
    >> they're designed for. Therefore, if I buy them, would I
    >> be carrying more weight than necessary:
    >
    > Pretty much overkill for what you intend to use them for.
    >
    > Have a look at www.merlincycles.co.uk. A popular and oft-
    > recommended wheel builder (it's where mine came from).

    I second the recommendation. A well-suitable pair of wheels
    (with X618 rims & LX hubs) will cost only £91 + postage:
    www.merlincycles.co.uk/acatalog/Custom_Wheels.html

    ~PB

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest