Haluzak Horizon Kickstand question?

Jay

Guest
Haluzak Horizon Kickstand question?

Has anyone yet solved the kickstand problem?

--jay--

I have. Twice. Once on my bike and once on my wife's bike. I did a better job on my wife's bike,
after experimenting with mine. I even told a guy at Haluzak how to fix it. He didn't seem that
interested.

Now for the bad news. I fixed the problem so long ago that I can't remember what the problem was.

If you will tell me the problem, I believe that I will remember the solution.

I seem to recall that the solution involved a block of wood, a saw, a certain diameter hole drilled
in the wood and a vice.

The good news is that no blow torches, explosives, or winches were needed, and it took less
than an hour.

There may have been a hammer, but I can't remember. That may have been why, my wife's kick stand was
fixed better.

Jay wrote:

>Haluzak Horizon Kickstand question?
>
>Has anyone yet solved the kickstand problem?
>
>--jay--

Tracy - Thanks for the reply - What kickstand do you use?

Here's my problem with the kickstand!

The method recommended by Haluzak is the rear axle mounted kickstand. This takes away the quick
release option on the rear wheel, but more important for me, the kickstand bracket that they sell
dosen't keep the bike up when you are loaded for touring. I love my Zak, and have made many
modifications/improvements, but haven't yet solved the kickstand problem.

I would like to know if anyone has somehow mounted an extended arm (leg?) kickstand in another
location other than the rear axle? It seems to me that a bracket could be made to go to the braze-on
underseat waterbottle mount, but that solution, so far, is beyond me......

--jay--

Tracy wrote:

> I have. Twice. Once on my bike and once on my wife's bike. I did a better job on my wife's bike,
> after experimenting with mine. I even told a guy at Haluzak how to fix it. He didn't seem that
> interested.
>
> Now for the bad news. I fixed the problem so long ago that I can't remember what the problem was.
>
> If you will tell me the problem, I believe that I will remember the solution.
>
> I seem to recall that the solution involved a block of wood, a saw, a certain diameter hole
> drilled in the wood and a vice.
>
> The good news is that no blow torches, explosives, or winches were needed, and it took less than
> an hour.
>
> There may have been a hammer, but I can't remember. That may have been why, my wife's kick stand
> was fixed better.

I just bought the kickstand for my Hybrid Race and I had a similar problem, but it wasn't caused by
it being fully loaded, but rather by the fact that the Race has larger wheels and so the kickstand
is too short and lets the bike lean too much so it falls over.

The Haluzak folks told me that the bracket has to be bent to make the stand be more vertical, but
I'm thinking that instead I'll just not have a kickstand. The flexiness of the Race seems to be
playing a part as well.

By the way, the kickstand doesn't take away the quick release, it just makes you have to fully
disengage the quick release axle and pull it through to free the wheel.

Anyone want to buy a brand new Horizon kickstand?