Haluzak Horizon modifications

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Phil Wolfe, Feb 14, 2003.

  1. Phil Wolfe

    Phil Wolfe Guest

    I have read in the past on this group about people modifiying there underseat steering setup to
    bring there bars back a bit further and I neglected to save the posts. Does anyone out there have
    any this info available? I am looking for specific handlebar substitutions so that I can go out and
    purchase the needed bars. I already have bar ends but just can't get them back far enough. Thanks in
    advance, Phil Wolfe

    Tags:

  2. <Chas>

    <Chas> Guest

    Might be tough on a Horizon. You'll need to find some kind of stem the moves the handlebar back
    while remaining in the existing pivot (through the frame boom). That stem needs to have the tab for
    the steering linkage that connects to the fork. And, I think if you move the bars back in that
    manner (without moving the pivot) you'll limit even further the limited range of handlebar motion.
    The 'Zak bikes aren't known for their sharp turning radius to begin with, due to handlebar/seat
    interference.

    Have you tried a different bar end on the existing handle bar? Or, perhaps rotating the existing bar
    (and bar ends) to move the bar ends farther back? Or maybe finding a new handlebar? I think the one
    that is stock is some kind of Mt. bike bar. You might see if a different shape handle bar would move
    the bar ends back. Your LBS (especially if they're into mt. bikes) probably has a catalog of
    handlebars they can order.

    My $0.02 worth

    <Chas> who was a mechanical designer in a past life Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

    "Phil Wolfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have read in the past on this group about people modifiying there underseat steering setup to
    > bring there bars back a bit further and I neglected to save the posts. Does anyone out there have
    > any this info available? I am looking for specific handlebar substitutions so that I can go out
    > and purchase the needed bars. I already have bar ends but just can't get them back far enough.
    > Thanks in advance, Phil Wolfe

  3. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    just get a riser bar with 3 or 6" shaped like this: --___--

    wrote:
    > Might be tough on a Horizon. You'll need to find some kind of stem the moves the handlebar back
    > while remaining in the existing pivot (through the frame boom). That stem needs to have the tab
    > for the steering linkage that connects to the fork. And, I think if you move the bars back in that
    > manner (without moving the pivot) you'll limit even further the limited range of handlebar motion.
    > The 'Zak bikes aren't known for their sharp turning radius to begin with, due to handlebar/seat
    > interference.
    >
    > Have you tried a different bar end on the existing handle bar? Or, perhaps rotating the existing
    > bar (and bar ends) to move the bar ends farther back? Or maybe finding a new handlebar? I think
    > the one that is stock is some kind of Mt. bike bar. You might see if a different shape handle bar
    > would move the bar ends back. Your LBS (especially if they're into mt. bikes) probably has a
    > catalog of handlebars they can order.
    >
    > My $0.02 worth
    >
    > <Chas> who was a mechanical designer in a past life Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair
    >
    > "Phil Wolfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I have read in the past on this group about people modifiying there underseat steering setup to
    >>bring there bars back a bit further and I neglected to save the posts. Does anyone out there have
    >>any this info available? I am looking for specific handlebar substitutions so that I can go out
    >>and purchase the needed bars. I already have bar ends but just can't get them back far enough.
    >>Thanks in advance, Phil Wolfe

  4. Phil Wolfe

    Phil Wolfe Guest

    The riser bar sounds like it might work, my Horizon is one of the early models and the bars on it
    are different than the current ones. Thanks, Philip Wolfe