Haluzak Horizon opinions

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Chris, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I'm beginning to shop for my next bent and was a bit taken by a Haluzak Horizon today.

    If you have one, or reasonable experience with one, is there anything you *don't* like about it?

    I'm probably not interested in the suspension fork, but do you have an opinion on that? How's that
    seat hold up for you on long rides?

    (I'm currently doing mostly 2-3hr rides but maybe someday longer; I want to go fast because it's fun
    and what gets me out; I think I really like USS; I have a BikeE CT now.)

    Thanks in advance for your help. This is a really good newsgroup. (But why are you talking about
    Windows XP?!?!)

    Tags:

  2. <Chas>

    <Chas> Guest

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm beginning to shop for my next bent and was a bit taken by a Haluzak Horizon today.
    >
    > If you have one, or reasonable experience with one, is there anything you *don't* like about it?
    >
    > I'm probably not interested in the suspension fork, but do you have an opinion on that? How's that
    > seat hold up for you on long rides?
    >
    > (I'm currently doing mostly 2-3hr rides but maybe someday longer; I want
    > go fast because it's fun and what gets me out; I think I really like USS;
    > have a BikeE CT now.)
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help. This is a really good newsgroup. (But
    why
    > are you talking about Windows XP?!?!)

    I ride a Haluzak Hybrid Race, which is the same frame, seat, fork, and steering. Different wheels,
    different components. I have ridden my bike 4400 miles in two years, many of those miles on a
    22-mile each way commute on busy Silicon Valley streets.

    The Haluzak bikes in general are extremely well built and durable. The factory stands behind their
    products, but are "email impaired" i.e., they don't answer emails, but respond quickly to
    telephone calls.

    All 'Zaks have a substantial weight distribution bias toward the front wheel (mine is 60/40 F/R)
    that causes the handling to be quick and responsive (some call that "twitchy"). Like all USB SWB
    bikes, the handling takes some getting used to. On my Hybrid Race, there's considerable wheel-heel
    interference, but I quickly got used to it and it hasn't been a problem in a long time. With the
    451-700 wheel combination the Hybrid Race isn't for short people, it's tough reaching the ground
    with both feet without rising out of the seat a little. But the Horizon uses smaller front and rear
    wheels so it may not be a problem.

    Speaking of the seat -- I love it. It took a little time and some tweaking to get the Velcro straps
    adjusted just right, but I have _no_ recumbent butt _ever_ On the other hand, the seat position
    isn't adjustable front-rear. To adjust the seat-pedal distance you must move the position of the
    bottom bracket on the boom, and lengthen/shorten the chain. Not an issue for me, since I am the only
    rider of my bike.

    In general, the Haluzak bikes aren't the fastest 'bents on the road, but they aren't the slowest
    either. I'm faster on my 'Zak than I was on my Specialized Allez Pro upright, but that's because I
    put more miles on the 'Zak than I ever did on the upright, because it's more comfortable.

    I love the USS, it gives me a "magic carpet ride" feeling that I can't describe. Nothing in front of
    me but my legs. Way cool! My typical recreational ride is a couple of hours, but as the weather
    improves here in Silicon Valley, I'm riding farther. Last weekend I rode 50 very hilly miles in
    about 4-1/2 hours. This weekend I'm planning a 70 miler. Next weekend I'm doing an organized
    Century. The bike is comfortable.

    Feel free to contact me off-list if you need more info, or opinion. You have to remove NO SPAM from
    my address to reply.

    <Chas> Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

  3. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "<Chas>" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I'm beginning to shop for my next bent and was a bit taken by a Haluzak Horizon today.
    >>
    >> If you have one, or reasonable experience with one, is there anything you *don't* like about it?
    >>

    > I ride a Haluzak Hybrid Race, which is the same frame, seat, fork, and steering. Different wheels,
    > different components.

    I have the same model bike, a '96 I think. I can agree with about everything Chaz said about the
    Haluzak. I think that since I began riding trikes,however, I am just not that comfortable on two
    wheels anymore. I will probably sell my bike, if you are interested e-mail me. It has Aerospoke 5
    spoke wheels and is dark green, new IRC tires, fenders and rear rack, custom mirror mount, Cateye
    Mity computer,Answer suspension fork. http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/490774576

    rorschandt dreamland51 *at* comcast.net

  4. M..Leuck

    M..Leuck Guest

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm beginning to shop for my next bent and was a bit taken by a Haluzak Horizon today.
    >
    > If you have one, or reasonable experience with one, is there anything you *don't* like about it?
    >
    > I'm probably not interested in the suspension fork, but do you have an opinion on that? How's that
    > seat hold up for you on long rides?
    >
    > (I'm currently doing mostly 2-3hr rides but maybe someday longer; I want
    > go fast because it's fun and what gets me out; I think I really like USS;
    > have a BikeE CT now.)
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help. This is a really good newsgroup. (But
    why
    > are you talking about Windows XP?!?!)

    I have a Vision R50 and ride with a friend who has a Haluzak Horizon. I like the USS of the
    Horizon better than my Vision although the Vision's seat felt better. The Horizon seems like a
    very good bike

  5. M..Leuck

    M..Leuck Guest

    Do you have any more pics of the bike?

    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "<Chas>" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> I'm beginning to shop for my next bent and was a bit taken by a Haluzak Horizon today.
    > >>
    > >> If you have one, or reasonable experience with one, is there anything you *don't* like
    > >> about it?
    > >>

    > > I ride a Haluzak Hybrid Race, which is the same frame, seat, fork, and steering. Different
    > > wheels, different components.
    >

    > I have the same model bike, a '96 I think. I can agree with about everything Chaz said about the
    > Haluzak. I think that since I began riding trikes,however, I am just not that comfortable on two
    > wheels anymore. I will probably sell my bike, if you are interested e-mail me. It has Aerospoke 5
    > spoke wheels and is dark green, new IRC tires, fenders and
    rear
    > rack, custom mirror mount, Cateye Mity computer,Answer suspension fork.
    > http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/490774576
    >
    > rorschandt dreamland51 *at* comcast.net

  6. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Chris: I've got about 700 mi. on my Horizon. Mine is customized with an AMP research suspension fork
    and dual disk brakes, which I've heard Haluzak is considering as an option--you might ask. In short,
    I love this bike more each time I go out. It did take me a bit of learning/experience before I was
    really comfortable with USS, but the amazing ergonomics of the system can't be beat. I've done rides
    up to 50 mi. in great comfort. I live in an area of pretty bad roads, and one of our favorite rides
    even has three cattle guards (ugh)! With the suspension fork and the flexing of the rear stays, the
    cattle guards are a non-issue. It's a great ride! If you live in an area of better roads, skip the
    suspension fork--but a Pantour suspension hub would be really nice. As for the disk brakes, I love
    them. They are now my brake of choice.

    All in all, Haluzak makes a great bike!

    Another USS choice that also gets high marks is the Longbikes Slipstream--same type of USS but in a
    long wheel base, low BB arrangement. I'm lusting after one of these big time!

    My $.02.

    Regards, Scott

  7. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

  8. Hillel

    Hillel Guest

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm beginning to shop for my next bent and was a bit taken by a Haluzak Horizon today.
    >
    > If you have one, or reasonable experience with one, is there anything you *don't* like about it?

    I have a '97(?) Haluzak Horizon with the suspension fork. So, you want the bad news first, huh? My
    only real complaint has been that I am just a tiny bit short for this bike. At 5'8" with a 40"-41"
    x-seam I had to cut an inch off the main boom to bring the pedals back enough for a reclined seat
    position. While sitting in the reclined seat I cannot put both feet completely down without sitting
    up or slouching forward. One foot down is easy and OK while in traffic. Another issue is that the
    weight is so far forward that the rear wheel can wash out during hard braking on a curve. (I have
    v-brakes, and I don't know if this is an issue with disc brakes.) It was scary when it first
    happened but easily controllable when I knew to feel for it.

    > I'm probably not interested in the suspension fork, but do you have an opinion on that? How's that
    > seat hold up for you on long rides?

    Other than that it is a great and comfortable bike. The USS is also in a great ergonomic position.
    The seat is very comfortable (I happen to like mesh seats, YMMV), and the tension in the mesh can be
    adjusted. A note about the seat is that the large straps are just the right size for
    A.L.I.C.E. clips, and a lot of military surplus equipment can attach to it. Right now I have a US
    Army field radio cover attached to the seat back near the bottom that holds my wallet,
    keys, cell phone, and some small tools. The vertical post in the back of the seat frame
    also gives a lot of flexibility in being able to attach accessories meant for a DF seat
    post - something you can't do with most 'bents.

    With the front wheel practically under the seat, you may want to rethink losing the suspension fork.
    AFAIK the current models all include it as standard. The "passive" suspension from the rear is nice
    also. I rode my first century last summer with the Horizon, and when I met some other riders at the
    last stop, they were moaning and groaning while I was in no pain, just really tired.

    Hope this helps. ---Hillel

  9. Chris - I'm on my second generation of Haluzak bikes. I had a HHR and loved the steering and QA of
    the bike but I'm a pretty high performance rider and didn't like whippy frame and too-far-forward
    weight distribution so I had Kelvin at angletech work with Haluzak to build a custom bike with
    stiffer tubing, triangulated rear, and weight further rearward. You should call angletec and talk
    to Kelvin. The bike is much nicer than the HHR although I wish he would have even gone further in
    some aspects.

    The ideal bike for performance in the Haluzak vein seems to be on the horizon with Karl Swanson's
    new bike which you can see on the BROL "stop the presses"

    Regards, Chris

    Chris wrote:
    > I'm beginning to shop for my next bent and was a bit taken by a Haluzak Horizon today.
    >
    > If you have one, or reasonable experience with one, is there anything you *don't* like about it?
    >
    > I'm probably not interested in the suspension fork, but do you have an opinion on that? How's that
    > seat hold up for you on long rides?
    >
    > (I'm currently doing mostly 2-3hr rides but maybe someday longer; I want to go fast because it's
    > fun and what gets me out; I think I really like USS; I have a BikeE CT now.)
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help. This is a really good newsgroup. (But why are you talking about
    > Windows XP?!?!)

  10. kathy

    kathy Guest

    I've had my Horizon for 9 years now, and though I wouldn't mind having a second bike - esp.
    something like Sat'r'day for travel, I've been very happy with it. It's sort of a basic bike - as
    back then I don't think things like suspension were available on it. I've ridden several centuries
    on it in total comfort.

    Here are some comments I posted to the HPV list when I first got it:
    http://www.fred.net/kathy/newbent.txt

    --
    Remove spamfree for email address kathy at fred net

  11. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "m..leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Subject: Re: Haluzak Horizon opinions From: "m..leuck" <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
    >> alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
    >>
    >> http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/490774576
    >> Do you have any more pics of the bike?
    >>

    > Those are pretty bad, aren't they! (~: I can take some more. I'll see what I can get done today,
    > and put them up at the same link.
    >
    > rorschandt

    I have added three photos that are fairly well lit. The 3rd photo shows a big scrape in the paint
    from previous owner.<arrgh> Same link as above http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/490774576 If you
    want to know the condition of a specific area of the bike, I can do a close-up, time willing. The
    chain tubes are something I added, and my taste was lacking the day I did them, as I only have
    orange zip ties /~: . Black would look better I'm sure.

    rorschandt

  12. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    I loved my Leprechaun Hybrid Race, but the haluzak desgin makes for a high seat, and i could not
    place both feet on the ground. It was not fun to stop, espcially in emergencies, but it was ALOT of
    fun to go! Swoopy, sports car feel in tight turns. I miss it, but my Giro handles almost as well.
    That passive suspension is nice, too. A good bike, if you can get your feet down.

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm beginning to shop for my next bent and was a bit taken by a Haluzak Horizon today.
    >
    > If you have one, or reasonable experience with one, is there anything you *don't* like about it?
    >
    > I'm probably not interested in the suspension fork, but do you have an opinion on that? How's that
    > seat hold up for you on long rides?
    >
    > (I'm currently doing mostly 2-3hr rides but maybe someday longer; I want
    > go fast because it's fun and what gets me out; I think I really like USS;
    > have a BikeE CT now.)
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help. This is a really good newsgroup. (But
    why
    > are you talking about Windows XP?!?!)

  13. Gary Herbst

    Gary Herbst Guest

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm beginning to shop for my next bent and was a bit taken by a Haluzak Horizon today.
    >
    > If you have one, or reasonable experience with one, is there anything you *don't* like about it?
    >
    > I'm probably not interested in the suspension fork, but do you have an opinion on that? How's that
    > seat hold up for you on long rides?
    >
    > (I'm currently doing mostly 2-3hr rides but maybe someday longer; I want to go fast because it's
    > fun and what gets me out; I think I really like USS; I have a BikeE CT now.)
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help. This is a really good newsgroup. (But why are you talking about
    > Windows XP?!?!)

    I have been riding a Haluzak Horizon for 4 years now. It was the 2nd bent I bought that summer, the
    1st being a Linear LWB. In the last 4 years I've put about 1500-2000 miles on the bike each year and
    don't have much bad to say about it. Bill at Haluzak has always helped me if something went wrong
    and always without charge, and it has been by return mail or UPS. I did put MAGURA rim brakes on the
    bike as I ride in areas that I get to coast down a few hills at 45 to 50 mph. The bike is a solid as
    you would ever need. I added a fairing and mounted my rear rack a little different than the Haluzak
    mount kit. I was going to a week long tour with my Haluzk with a trailer but then my Linear will
    pull a BOB better and has 63 gears on it, down to 14 gear inches. Good luck on your purchase

  14. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

  15. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > I'm beginning to shop for my next bent and was a bit taken by a Haluzak Horizon today... I want to
    > go fast because it's fun and what gets me out...

    The Horizon has a relatively low BB. This means that the frontal area will be quite large (limiting
    performance) unless the seat is quite reclined. This will lead to an open "hip angle" which some
    riders find to limit power production.

    However, the Horizon is one of the best SWB recumbents for someone who suffers foot numbness from
    high BB's (relative to seat height).

  16. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm beginning to shop for my next bent and was a bit taken by a Haluzak Horizon today.
    >
    > If you have one, or reasonable experience with one, is there anything you *don't* like about it?
    >
    > I'm probably not interested in the suspension fork, but do you have an opinion on that? How's that
    > seat hold up for you on long rides?
    >
    > (I'm currently doing mostly 2-3hr rides but maybe someday longer; I want to go fast because it's
    > fun and what gets me out; I think I really like USS; I have a BikeE CT now.)
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help. This is a really good newsgroup. (But why are you talking about
    > Windows XP?!?!)

    While we're on the subject of Haluzaks, has anyone noticed that they are going to introduce an OSS
    LWB model with a hardshell "euro" style seat sometime soon? Look here:
    http://www.haluzak.com/main/index.htm

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL

  17. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Thanks very much, everyone, for your input; you've given me several important things to think about
    and check out.

  18. Snowman

    Snowman Guest

    I have a Haluzak Hybrid Horizon. It is a Horizon with the Race equipment 406/559 wheels and
    thinner tubing walls. I am 5'6" and I do not have any problems getting my feet to the ground. Why?
    Because my LBS and I talked to Bill for over an hour before the bike was ordered to get the right
    size. I had wanted the Race with the 700c wheel, but Bill said that I would have problems with it.
    That said ...

    I had ridden it 100 miles and the took it on the Malibu Lite Century with no distance riding
    training. Bottom line at the end of the century - no back pain, no wrist pain, no neck pain, and not
    shoulder pain. Yes, the quads were a little stiff and sore but I felt great!

    I like the underseat steering and I am very happy with the bike.

    For those who have trouble reaching the ground, I suggest that you loosen the webbing a the front of
    the seat so the legs can reach lower.

    Snowman Haluzak Hybrid Horizon 2002 Los Angeles

  19. Chris wrote:

    > If you have one, or reasonable experience with one, is there anything you *don't* like about it?

    I have a Horizon for a couple of years now (http://allgoodnamesrtaken.com/avocado), and although I
    recently bough a replacement bike, I still take my old Halz for a spin around the neighborhood every
    now and again.

    Here are my views on it:

    PROS:

    - Very comfortable

    - The remote steering feels very natural. I tried a couple of Visions before deciding on the Halz,
    and I didn't like the tiller-type steering of the Visions.

    - The bike "feels" right. Its hard to describe it, but the first time I rode it, the bike felt very
    easy to ride.

    - Top notch build quality. I never had a single mechanical problem with the bike, other than the
    occasional problem caused by my own modifications.

    - Very easy to control at slow speeds. I ride in city traffic a lot, and the Halz allows me to
    zig-zag around bottle neck traffic and potholes at slow-walking pace without putting my feet down
    and without any wobble.

    - Great passive suspension frame. It really soaks-up the bumps. It also makes it a very fast bike on
    rough roads or even light off-road conditions. I've passed many mountain bikes on dirt trails,
    much to their surprise ;-)

    - The Amazing Luggage Carrying Seat(tm). When I went on my first trip with the Halz, I tried to
    attach a heavy load to the rear rack, but the flexible frame didn't like that one bit, and the
    bike was unrideable. Then I tried to attach the weight directly to the seat frame, and voila'!
    I've since done a lot of touring carrying all my *and* my girlfriend's gear bungee-corded to the
    back of the seat. I've did most of my last move on the bike with no problem. See
    http://allgoodnamesrtaken.com/avocado/campinghorizon.jpg for a pic of me on the bike, off road,
    carrying a large 4-person tent, two sleeping bags, a duffel-bag with far too many clothes for two
    people for two weeks, about 20 lbs of photographic equipment, lots of tools, and spare parts for
    two bikes.

    CONS:

    - Front wheel a little too far back. Its very easy to lift the rear wheel off the ground during hard
    braking (endo). It took me a little practice to learn how to avoid endos. Also, with the wheel so
    far back, too much weight is on the front wheel, so very high speed speed turns can be a bit
    scary, specially when you hear the front tire complaining right under you. This only happens when
    you turn very very hard, not under normal conditions.

    - Flexible frame absorbs bumps, but it also absorbs energy on long climbs. If you live in very hilly
    terrain, this may not be the bike for you. On shorter hills, its easy to just power up, but on
    longer hills far too much energy is used with each pedal stroke flexing the frame rather than
    pushing the bike forwards.

    - Flexible frame also limits your top speed. I've hit 49mph several times with the bike without any
    problems, but every time I went over the 50mph threshold, the entire bike felt like gello.

    - Creaking Haluzak Seat Syndrome (CHSS ;-) All haluzak seats creak after some use. Some more than
    others. On several occasions I completely disassemble the seat, greased every little area where
    the parts meet, then reassembled. The noise goes away for a while, but it always comes back. Its
    easy to ignore on shorter rides, but when I tour with the bike for several days at a time,
    spending most of my time on the bike, it gets on my nerves a bit.

    Cheers.