Hamas, setting the record straight.

darkboong

Mar 2, 2004
Tripped over a nice summary regarding Hamas' alleged refusal to recognise Israel.

"Hamas is clear in terms of the historical solution and an interim solution. We are ready for both: the borders of 1967, a state, elections, and agreement after 10-15 years of building trust," commented Usama Hamdan, the Hamas Chief Representative in Lebanon. (9) Notable here is that his remarks were made in 2003 well before the Hamas victory of January 2006. Indeed, it should be pointed out that most of the on-the-record comments to this effect were made prior to these elections.

In 1989, Hamas spiritual leader Sheikh Ahmad Yassin (assassinated by Israel in March 2004) stated, "I do not want to destroy IsraelÖ. We want to negotiate with Israel so the Palestinian people inside and outside Palestine can live in Palestine. Then the problem will cease to exist." (11)

The hard-line Hamas leader, Abdel Aziz Rantisi, assassinated by Israel in April 2004 commented in 2002 that, "[T]he Intifada is about forcing Israel's withdrawal to the 1967 borders." This "doesn't mean the Arab-Israeli conflict will be over," but rather that the armed resistance to Israel would end." (12)

The source follows :
http://www.counterpunch.org/loewenstein06122006.html

Those quotes directly contradict the assertion that Hamas won't recognise Israel. They also directly contradict what the political leaders, reporters and Israeli talking heads claim, and invalidate the logic behind trying to destroy the democratically elected representitives of the Palestinian people.

The article also goes on to report the comments of an Israeli pundit on whether it really even matters if Hamas (or anyone else) refuses to recognise Israel. Fair point, I couldn't see what the fuss was about quite frankly.

Hmmm, seems like people are tired discussing politics. I myself have said all I have to say on the topic of Israel and the Palestinians e.t.c. and conclude we aren't going to see eye to eye.
I keep up with the news, of course, and all I can say is the situation seems to be heating up somewhat. It does seem to me that the election of Hamas hasn't helped the average Palestinian and has maybe played into the hands of the far-right in Israel.
Personally I doubt the dispute will ever be resolved. :(

darkboong said:
Tripped over a nice summary regarding Hamas' alleged refusal to recognise Israel.

The source follows :

Those quotes directly contradict the assertion that Hamas won't recognise Israel. They also directly contradict what the political leaders, reporters and Israeli talking heads claim, and invalidate the logic behind trying to destroy the democratically elected representitives of the Palestinian people.

The article also goes on to report the comments of an Israeli pundit on whether it really even matters if Hamas (or anyone else) refuses to recognise Israel. Fair point, I couldn't see what the fuss was about quite frankly.

darkboong said:

The source follows :

Yeah, the Hamas charter is explicit in what it's states : it wants a return to the pre-1967 situation.
And I think that Hamas's charter is a very reasonable compromise on the part of any Palestinian party given what happened in 1948 in Palestine.

My own preference would be to see what is now the statelet of Israel recognised within and confined to the ancient provinces of Judea, Samaria etc.

Carrera said:
Hmmm, seems like people are tired discussing politics.

That stuff was not up for discussion. It was posted to illustrate the gulf between reality and what the media and the likes of Tony Blair report. For example the Independent reported yesterday :

"However, Hamas has steadfastly refused to recognise Israel, prompting an international boycott of it's government"

That is a lie.

The truth is that Hamas have recognised Israel already, the quotes are there to prove it in the article I cited in my original post to this thread.

The amazing thing is that lethal and terminal violence inflicted on unarmed Palestinian civillians by the IDF appears to have become routine and acceptable. The IDF were shelling Beit Lahia beach during day time while families were having picnics on it and it barely made a ripple in the international media.

Nevermind their claim that they were aiming 250m away, nevermind their story that it might have been a Hamas landmine (highly unlikely). The IDF were SHELLING within 250m of a CROWDED BEACH in broad daylight (see Haeretz http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/725813.html).

If the UK Navy shelled Brighton Beach in broad daylight while it was packed with families that would be unacceptable, so why should be acceptable for Israel to shell it's own civillians ?