Status
Not open for further replies.

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
How tough is this guy?

Hamilton continues
www.cyclingnews.com

Despite breaking his collarbone in two places in yesterday's stage 1 crash, American Tyler Hamilton (CSC) has decided to continue in the Tour, according to Danish TV2. Team CSC's press officer Brian Nygaard said that "Hamilton slept badly last night because of the pain, but he will do whatever he can to stay in the race as long as possible." Hamilton has been given painkillers to try and cope with the pain.

"He'll try, but maybe he will feel imediately that's it's not going to work", Bjarne Riis told Danishg newspaper B.T.

Ouch! It's gonna hurt once they reach the mountains tho!

good luck to him for having a go though
sean kelly is sying he wont last long
just seen him at the back of the peleton didnt see his face but he seemed to be pedalling comfortably

Hopefully he will be able to stick around a few more days. Maybe, he will even make it to the end.

Originally posted by COOLTOOL
Hopefully he will be able to stick around a few more days. Maybe, he will even make it to the end.

Remember, he did make it through the Giro with much the same injury and finished 2nd.

I heard on OLN last night that he was in so much pain during the Giro that he ground 11 of his teeth down and had to have them capped after the race...ouch!

Tyler was on my team in New England - CCB, when he was a junior, back in the late 80s. He was a great spirited kid back then, and has become a talented, passionate and soulfull rider today.

This accident was incredibly tragic for Tyler, and in spite of the injury, pain and emotional kick in the gut, he still has his fight and drive.

Allez Allez Tyler!

Tyler Hamilton's Website

was it his collarbone he broke in the giro i cant remember?

didnt they only find out after the race ?

So would I.
The climbs will hurt if he tries to pull on his bars.
If he climbs seated then he might be able to finish but staying with the bunch would be an admirable acheivement.

Brian

heres some more news from daily camera.com

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PRINT THIS STORY | E-MAIL THIS STORY

Hamilton pedals through pain
Ex-CU athlete hopes to 'survive' Tour

By Susan Bickelhaupt, Boston Globe
July 8, 2003

Tyler Hamilton said some of the competitors did double takes when they rode next to him in the second stage of the Tour de France Monday.

"Most people thought I had gone home," the former University of Colorado athlete said. Which was a likely assumption after he suffered what appeared to be a Tour-ending broken collarbone in a crash in Sunday's race.

Yet while even Hamilton said he wasn't sure if he could continue, after almost a year of training, and two first-place finishes in European races in the spring, he decided about an hour before Monday's race to try to ride through the pain.

Team doctors bandaged Hamilton's upper body in a kind of cast — "I must have had five pounds of tape on me" — and Hamilton took off with the 196 riders on the 127-mile race northwest of Paris.

Australian Baden Cooke won the stage in 5 hours, 6 minutes, 33 seconds. Hamilton finished with the main pack and was given the same time and is eighth overall, two places ahead of four-time defending champion Lance Armstrong, who finished in the same group Monday. Australian Bradley McGee is the overall leader.

"I'm still in quite a bit of pain, and I'll admit, today was really unpleasant," he said. "But the good thing about the break is that it's still together, and not separated. So if it can heal 5 percent every day, maybe I can survive."

Hamilton said he was motivated not just by his successful spring, but by his showing in the time trial on the first day of the Tour, when he edged Armstrong by one second to finish sixth.

"The prologue was a good gauge of where my fitness level was," he said. "So (the injury) was a tough pill to swallow."

Hamilton, who went flying over his handlebars in a crash that involved about 35 riders in the sprint finish Sunday, said he was hoping he suffered only a bruise.

Then he saw the X-ray, which showed two fractures.

"I thought it was over," said Hamilton, who slept about four hours at night as he mulled his fate.

When he got up in the morning, he decided to suit up.

"I just felt like this was my year," said Hamilton, who was going to be the lead rider on the CSC team. "I didn't even think I'd finish (Monday's stage), but I decided to take it one mile at a time."

The other riders weren't the only ones surprised to hear Hamilton decided to stay in the race. His wife, Haven, said she spoke to him from their home in Spain Sunday night and "he just told me he'd see how he feels," she said. "But he was devastated, so I was surprised."

Tyler's father, Bill, said he was in meetings Monday morning and assumed his son had pulled out of the race.

When he got home and learned Tyler had raced, "I was floored. This time it looked like it was all over.

"The sad part is that he was in such good shape," added Bill Hamilton. "He was going to be a contender, but now at best he'll be a survivor."

The tour covers mostly rolling hills the rest of this week, but enters the Alps Saturday, when Hamilton's "5 percent" hope will get a true test.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

how tough is this guy , what an inspiration

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t467644.html

Status
Not open for further replies.