Hamilton Worlds 2003- Accommodations Information- First hand account

angel_stain

Guest
I was in Hamilton back in early December 2002 and again last week looking for accommodations for
upcoming worlds (I live only a 45 minute drive or 4 hour ride for course but hey I still need a
local hotel, there are some good pubs to visit).

First trip was to check all the major hotels in Hamilton and greater area (Burlington to Stoney
Creek); in summation NOTHING is left or available (Ramada, Holiday Inn, HJ, Sheraton, Travelodge
etc. or any B&B).

The second trip last week was to visit the motels and second tier hotels; in short, slim pickings.
Not much luck procuring a spot even at local university dorms or residences (McMaster University,
schools in at that time).

There is however one last unpolished gem, which isn't so bad (and there were plenty of BAD ones I
visited, regardless of what Kyle Legate may indicate, :) ). It's called Motor city Hotel, I
physically viewed the room and it's not a bad place, and to boot, we got it for only $70 CDN per
night for three nights (Thursday, Friday and sat) and it close to some bike shops and not too far
from the course (even roomy enough for two or three bikes per room).

If you're interested the contact info is:

Motor City Hotel (but it's really a motel) 55 Queenston Road (at Main St. East) Hamilton, Ontario
L8K 1E8 ph: 905-549-1371 fax: 905-549-8554 toll free; 1-877-340-0779 Jackie was the lady's name who
helped us, very nice and accommodating. Jackie however was thinking of jacking up the price so you
better ask quickly if you're interested.

Official website is below (still sparse on details however)

http://slam.canoe.ca/Hamilton2003/home.html

Later,

Angelo Macchia

Steve Bauer's bike touring company has plenty of hotel packages left. ( If you want to go through a
tour company that is) I wonder if he will sign some old Winning magazines????? anyway.
www.stevebauer.com if you need lodging and tickets.

<angel_stain> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I was in Hamilton back in early December 2002 and again last week looking for accommodations for
> upcoming worlds (I live only a 45 minute drive or 4 hour ride for course but hey I still need a
> local hotel, there are some good pubs to visit).
>
> First trip was to check all the major hotels in Hamilton and greater area (Burlington to Stoney
> Creek); in summation NOTHING is left or available (Ramada, Holiday Inn, HJ, Sheraton, Travelodge
> etc. or any B&B).
>
> The second trip last week was to visit the motels and second tier hotels; in short, slim pickings.
> Not much luck procuring a spot even at local university dorms or residences (McMaster University,
> schools in at that time).
>
> There is however one last unpolished gem, which isn't so bad (and there were plenty of BAD ones I
> visited, regardless of what Kyle Legate may indicate, :) ). It's called Motor city Hotel, I
> physically viewed the room and it's not a bad place, and to boot, we got it for only $70 CDN per
> night for three nights (Thursday, Friday and sat) and it close to some bike shops and not too far
> from the course (even roomy enough for two or three bikes per room).
>
> If you're interested the contact info is:
>
> Motor City Hotel (but it's really a motel) 55 Queenston Road (at Main St. East) Hamilton, Ontario
> L8K 1E8 ph: 905-549-1371 fax: 905-549-8554 toll free; 1-877-340-0779 Jackie was the lady's name
> who helped us, very nice and accommodating. Jackie however was thinking of jacking up the price so
> you better ask quickly if you're interested.
>
> Official website is below (still sparse on details however)
>
> http://slam.canoe.ca/Hamilton2003/home.html
>
> Later,
>
> Angelo Macchia

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, it was written:

> There is however one last unpolished gem, which isn't so bad (and there were plenty of BAD ones I
> visited, regardless of what Kyle Legate may indicate, :) ).

I have no idea the quality of these places. I sleep in my house at night.

> It's called Motor city Hotel, I physically viewed the room and it's not a bad place, and to
> boot, we got it for only $70 CDN per night for three nights (Thursday, Friday and sat) and it
> close to some bike shops and not too far from the course (even roomy enough for two or three
> bikes per room).

Yikes! I've ridden past this place a few times and made my own assumptions; mainly, that it was as
seedy as the used car dealerships surrounding it. Perhaps I was wrong. It does have the city
reputation as being the primary lodgings for Deadheads whenever the Grateful Dead would roll through
town. I never saw so many 60s vw vans in one place before.

... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email protected] Kyle Legate [email protected]

Tower of Tongues:Thursday PM:10:30-11:30 EDT:http://cfmu.mcmaster.ca moon
musick:ritual:IDM:experimental(electronica):minimalism:glitch
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 05:21:50 GMT, angel_stain wrote:
>There is however one last unpolished gem, which isn't so bad (and there were plenty of BAD ones I
>visited, regardless of what Kyle Legate may indicate, :) ). It's called Motor city Hotel, I
>physically viewed the room and it's not a bad place, and to boot, we got it for only $70 CDN per
>night for three nights (Thursday, Friday and sat) and it close to some bike shops and not too far
>from the course (even roomy enough for two or three bikes per room).

Angelo (et al)

If you plan on staying at the Motor City Hotel, I would strongly suggest you take your bike and
stuff with you whenever you leave the room. It is a hangout for heroin junkies (or at least it was
around 5 years ago).

On the upside you can probably get an 8-ball there for $50.

Thanks, Ronde Chimp

another link for accommodations at in the Hamilton web site: http://www.obituariestoday.com/

John Bickmore www.BicycleCam.com www.Feed-Zone.com