Hamilton's crankset

cliff

New Member
Apr 19, 2003
In Tyler Hamilton's Tour diary, he wrote that he is using 52/36 chainrings. The tech photo on Velonews' TdF tech site shows his FSA TdF carbon crank (130 bolt circle) with what I think are 53/39.

http://www.velonews.com/tour2003/tech/articles/4525.1.html[/URL]

The smallest chainring available for a 130 crank is a 38. Has anyone seen any photos of Hamilton with another crank set that would fit a 36? Or am I mistaken and the FSA crank in the picture is a 110 mm bolt circle?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cliff

Hamilton is not using FSA, he had some problems with it. He's using a Dura Ace painted black, with
FSA decals. It's a known secret. One of the team mates happened to mention it on danish tv

Gustav "cliff" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> In Tyler Hamilton's Tour diary, he wrote that he is using 52/36 chainrings. The tech photo on
> Velonews' TdF tech site shows his FSA TdF carbon crank (130 bolt circle) with what I think
> are 53/39.
>
> http://www.velonews.com/tour2003/tech/articles/4525.1.html[/url]
>
> The smallest chainring available for a 130 crank is a 38. Has anyone seen any photos of Hamilton
> with another crank set that would fit a 36? Or am I mistaken and the FSA crank in the picture is a
> 110 mm bolt circle?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> Cliff

Hi, Cliff, I hope you don't mind but here is the corrected link:-

http://www.velonews.com/tour2003/tech/articles/4525.1.html

Lewis.

cliff <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In Tyler Hamilton's Tour diary, he wrote that he is using 52/36 chainrings. The tech photo on
> Velonews' TdF tech site shows his FSA TdF carbon crank (130 bolt circle) with what I think
> are 53/39.
>
> http://www.velonews.com/tour2003/tech/articles/4525.1.html[/url]
>
> The smallest chainring available for a 130 crank is a 38. Has anyone seen any photos of Hamilton
> with another crank set that would fit a 36? Or am I mistaken and the FSA crank in the picture is a
> 110 mm bolt circle?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> Cliff

How do the racers make a clean transition from the big ring to the small (and vice versa) when the
differences are so big?

"asqui" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> How do the racers make a clean transition from the big ring to the small (and vice versa) when the
> differences are so big?

My last bike had an old Campy Victory crank on it, with a 36/52 chainring setup. I was using Daytona
shifters and an old Super Record FD. It worked perfectly well for me (even on fast paced group
rides). I miss that setup.

one of the six billion wrote:
> "asqui" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> How do the racers make a clean transition from the big ring to the small (and vice versa) when
>> the differences are so big?
>>

> My last bike had an old Campy Victory crank on it, with a 36/52 chainring setup. I was using
> Daytona shifters and an old Super Record FD. It worked perfectly well for me (even on fast paced
> group rides). I miss that setup.

So how did you do it? Change up/down a few on the rear at the same time, or just be ready for a huge
change in cadence?

>> How do the racers make a clean transition from the big ring to the
> >> small (and vice versa) when the differences are so big?
> >>

> > My last bike had an old Campy Victory crank on it, with a 36/52 chainring setup. I was using
> > Daytona shifters and an old Super Record FD. It worked perfectly well for me (even on fast paced
> > group rides). I miss that setup.
>
> So how did you do it? Change up/down a few on the rear at the same time,
or
> just be ready for a huge change in cadence?

On my 39/53, I find I have to shift 2 gears smaller (physical size) when shifting from big ring to
small ring. When I was riding a 42/52-3, it was only 1 gear. I'd figure that for a 36t front ring,
you'd have to shift 3-4 cogs to make up the difference.

Mike

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:17:01 +0000, asqui wrote:

>> My last bike had an old Campy Victory crank on it, with a 36/52 chainring setup. I was using
>> Daytona shifters and an old Super Record FD. It worked perfectly well for me (even on fast paced
>> group rides). I miss that setup.

I had one of those, too. Pity they are unavailable. I now use mountain-bike cranks to get a decently
small inner ring.

> So how did you do it? Change up/down a few on the rear at the same time, or just be ready for a
> huge change in cadence?

What gear you want to shift to really depends on the situation. Usually when you are going into the
big ring you are at, or almost at, the top of a hill, and you will be accelerating. So, yeah, your
cadence will slow down. So?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember _`\(,_ | that your initial
objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ (_)/ (_) |

"asqui" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> one of the six billion wrote:
> > "asqui" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> How do the racers make a clean transition from the big ring to the small (and vice versa) when
> >> the differences are so big?
> >>

> > My last bike had an old Campy Victory crank on it, with a 36/52 chainring setup. I was using
> > Daytona shifters and an old Super Record FD. It worked perfectly well for me (even on fast paced
> > group rides). I miss that setup.
>
> So how did you do it? Change up/down a few on the rear at the same time,
or
> just be ready for a huge change in cadence?

The chainline with that setup was such that I wouldn't use the 36 tooth up front on anything smaller
than the 13 in the rear, but the 52 was ok to use with the 25 I had in the rear. If I didn't have
the chainline biased towards the large/large there would have been a gap.

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:InnRa.8590$Bp2.4720@fed1read07...

> >> How do the racers make a clean transition from the big ring to the
> > >>

> > > My last bike had an old Campy Victory crank on it, with a 36/52 chainring setup. I was using
> > > Daytona shifters and an old Super Record FD. It worked perfectly well for me (even on fast
> > > paced group rides). I miss that setup.
> >
> > So how did you do it? Change up/down a few on the rear at the same
time,
> or
> > just be ready for a huge change in cadence?
> >
> On my 39/53, I find I have to shift 2 gears smaller (physical size) when shifting from big ring to
> small ring. When I was riding a 42/52-3, it
was
> only 1 gear. I'd figure that for a 36t front ring, you'd have to shift
3-4
> cogs to make up the difference.

Exactly, from a 36 to a 39 in front is basically about one cog in the rear difference.

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:56:55 +0000, Mike S. wrote:

> On my 39/53, I find I have to shift 2 gears smaller (physical size) when shifting from big ring to
> small ring. When I was riding a 42/52-3, it was only 1 gear. I'd figure that for a 36t front ring,
> you'd have to shift 3-4 cogs to make up the difference.

Why do you want to make up the difference? When you shift chainrings, you are planning on a
seriously different situation, not worring about the next 5% change in ratio.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:56:55 +0000, Mike S. wrote:
>

> > On my 39/53, I find I have to shift 2 gears smaller (physical size) when shifting from big ring
> > to small ring. When I was riding a 42/52-3, it
was
> > only 1 gear. I'd figure that for a 36t front ring, you'd have to shift 3-4 cogs to make up the
> > difference.
>
> Why do you want to make up the difference? When you shift chainrings, you are planning on a
> seriously different situation, not worring about the next 5% change in ratio.
>
> --
>
> David L. Johnson

If you subscribe to the theory that you need to shift out of the big ring BEFORE you really need to,
but don't want to slow down just yet, shifting down the cassette a few cogs allows you to keep your
speed up till you need to start shifting back up the cassette.

Mike

asqui <[email protected]> wrote:
>cliff wrote:
>>In Tyler Hamilton's Tour diary, he wrote that he is using 52/36 chainrings.
>How do the racers make a clean transition from the big ring to the small (and vice versa) when the
>differences are so big?

Some time next month I'll have a 52/34, and presently I have a 52/39. Friction shifting, limit
screws set to permit a big overshift, and shove.

David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<vlv*[email protected]>...

> Some time next month I'll have a 52/34, and presently I have a 52/39. Friction shifting, limit
> screws set to permit a big overshift, and shove.

I use a 28/48 setup on the front of my Brompton folder.

Changing is smooth enough - I just use my right foot to kick down or hook up the chain while
pedalling gently with the left. Changing down is easy, changing up takes a bit of practice.

Saves weight on a front derailleur!

Andrew Webster

CSC is using FSA cranks for the Tour de France. If you go over to the FSA website, Full Speed Ahead,
you will see they offer two versions of double carbon cranks in 130mm bcd. And one double carbon
crank in 110mm bcd. 110mm bcd allows a 34 inner ring. I suspect he used the 110mm bcd crank for the
mountain stages. If you reread his diary entry closer, you will see he is only talking about using
the 52/36 setup for stages 8 and 9. Alpe d'Huez and Tourmaillot. The picture on Cycling News website
claims to show a picture of Hamilton's bike on top of a car and it shows the 130mm bcd 38 tooth
rings. But this does not prove he rode this exact bike on stages 8 and 9. And the diary entry refers
to stages 8 and 9 only. The mountainous stages. I suspect pro mechanics could change a crankset in 5
minutes. No need to change the bottom bracket since they are both double cranks. I suspect the lead
rider for a pro team can make special equipment requests from the mechanics.

A year or two ago many riders in the Vuelta had special climbing gears installed for the one day on
the Agrilu mountain. Triples, mountain bike cassettes, long cage rear derailleurs. They did not use
these mountain climbing setups on the other days so the mechanics changed the bikes one night and
then changed them back the next. On Cycling News this year there was an article about the 28 and 30
tooth rear cogs and 38 tooth chainrings used by many pros, Simoni and Pantani, on one hard mountian
stage. I suspect the gears were changed back to normal for the next stage.

Andrew Webster <[email protected]> wrote:
>David Damerell <[email protected]>:
>>Some time next month I'll have a 52/34, and presently I have a 52/39. Friction shifting, limit
>>screws set to permit a big overshift, and shove.
>I use a 28/48 setup on the front of my Brompton folder. Changing is smooth enough - I just use my
>right foot to kick down or hook up the chain while pedalling gently with the left.

This approaches the two-speed fixie with 2 chainrings and 2 rear sprockets, where one dismounts to
change gear.

I believe Sheldon has built such a bike...

David Damerell wrote:
> Andrew Webster <[email protected]> wrote:
>> David Damerell <[email protected]>:
>>> Some time next month I'll have a 52/34, and presently I have a
>>> 52/39. Friction shifting, limit screws set to permit a big overshift, and shove.
>> I use a 28/48 setup on the front of my Brompton folder. Changing is smooth enough - I just use my
>> right foot to kick down or hook up the chain while pedalling gently with the left.
>
> This approaches the two-speed fixie with 2 chainrings and 2 rear sprockets, where one dismounts to
> change gear.
>
> I believe Sheldon has built such a bike...

Someone should try to do the tour route on something like that. Possibly changing the chainrings
between stages. (Don't flame me for being silly, these people exist. Check this insanity out:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/lifestyle/32688_wolfe26.shtml)

asqui <[email protected]> wrote:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>This approaches the two-speed fixie with 2 chainrings and 2 rear sprockets, where one dismounts to
>>change gear.
>Someone should try to do the tour route on something like that. Possibly changing the chainrings
>between stages. (Don't flame me for being silly,

Why would I? Plenty of people rode the actual Tour on flipflop hubs, which are much the same (but
fiddlier to change the gear on).

> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:45:23 +0200, KGB wrote:
>
> > Hamilton is not using FSA, he had some problems with it.
>
> What problems could there be with a crankset?
>
> > He's using a Dura Ace painted black, with FSA decals. It's a known secret. One of the team mates
> > happened to mention it on danish tv
>
> That still would not allow a 36 inner ring, and the crank pictured is certainly not Dura Ace. But
> then, nothing says that that is Tyler's bike, either.
>
> >> In Tyler Hamilton's Tour diary, he wrote that he is using 52/36 chainrings. The tech photo on
> >> Velonews' TdF tech site shows his FSA TdF carbon crank (130 bolt circle) with what I think are
> >> 53/39.
>
> That picture clearly is a set of cranks with a 130mm bolt circle, and a 38 inner ring. I think it
> says 38 on the ring, but it certainly says 130 near the top of the inner ring.

Wrong. You can clearly see the number "36" etched into the small chainring. It is, indeed, a 36/130
chainring. Notice how close to the teeth the chainring bolts are. There isn't a millimeter to spare.

-Barry

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:15:34 +0000, B. Sanders wrote:

> Wrong. You can clearly see the number "36" etched into the small chainring. It is, indeed, a
> 36/130 chainring. Notice how close to the teeth the chainring bolts are. There isn't a millimeter
> to spare.

I don't think so. For one, the picture is not that clear. But even a
38/130 has the teeth right up against the chainring bolts. To go to 36 would change the radius by
almost 4mm, and I do not think there is that much room. Most Shimano cranksets are 53/39 and the
39 is quite tight.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You _`\(,_ | soon find out the
pig likes it! (_)/ (_) |