Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes

DocK

May 16, 2005
Has anybody ever used this product? I am doing a triathlon tomorrow, albeit a sprint course, but the temp will be close to the 90's with high humidity. I sweat profusely, even in cool weather, and have a history of dehydration in endurance events. They put some samples in our race packets, they are capsules. I worry about GI distress. Any info is appreciated.

DocK said:
Has anybody ever used this product? I am doing a triathlon tomorrow, albeit a sprint course, but the temp will be close to the 90's with high humidity. I sweat profusely, even in cool weather, and have a history of dehydration in endurance events. They put some samples in our race packets, they are capsules. I worry about GI distress. Any info is appreciated.

I have used these without any GI discomfort and wouldn't think that such issues are likely. However, I would stick to whatever nutrition strategy you've practiced in training. Stay away from new products in races unless absolutely necessary. If you don't have a hydration strategy and know you sweat profusely, think about using a combo of sports drink and electrolyte tablets to keep your fluid and electrolyte levels up.

DocK said:

As R_S says never use new products in a race, unless it's essential. you're just asking for trouble otherwise

ric

DocK said:
I love them. I use them. They also were discovered for me when put in a race pack at Texas Hell Week in March, not a race but a week of 100 mile rides.

They are a nifty combo of electrolytes and stuff and complement Hammer Gel and H20.

DEFINITELY not to use in a race if you dont have experience with them. I mean the risk of problems is quite low since they are glorified salt pills, but still...nothing new in a race ever. Especially triathlons since there is so much to consider.

Its a sprint event and that will be 1-1.75 hours max. Endurolytes are meant for longer efforts. No matter how much fluid and electrolytes you lose, you will not be able to keep up replacement in a sprint distance and it will not help you anyway. I believe most experts say that eg cycliong efforts under an hour having a bottle is to keep the mouth and throat wet, wont really help since absorption etc takes so long. As the time goes out from an hour much more important.

On the other hand, certain people I know with certain issues need some extra volume and electrolytes before undertaking a hard or long effort in the heat. So experiment, but not in a race.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the info. Tri went pretty well, mild dehydration but felt better after a few hours. I swear, my body is not cut out for these events. I cannot stay well hydrated during events and then the post-race illness, headache, dizziness. My sister has the same problem, after her last race and time in the med tent with a saline drip, the er doc told her she shouldn't do these events. I have to find a way to overcome this....:(

DocK said:
I have used them on very hot humid days when i know i will be on the bike for 4-5+ hrs. I also use them in Moab in the heat when i know i will risk dehydration (45 hrs of riding in 5 days).

But as you are probably aware DO NOT try them in a race. Pick a day and try them before you race to make sure you are ok with them first.