Hammer Products; Perpetuem vs. Cytomax

OscarC

Oct 28, 2005
I have been using Cytomax for years with positive results. I also believe I could have similar results with other electrolyte fluids. It seems though that Hammer really makes strong arguements for why their stuff works better than everybody elses. Especially about their Perpetuem. Any body familiar with this or is this just good marketing? Is it better than Cytomax?

Their product details too much to list. so see the link.
http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=PRODUCT&CAT=NUTRI&PROD.ID=4047&OMI=10103,10082,10047&AMI=10103&uir=product.category,NUTRI,Gels%20%26%20Fuels#info1

I used to use Cytomax and now use Hammer products, thats all I use. Seems to be better tasting and I never "tire" of it the way I have of others. I use Recoverite, Hammerheed, Endurlite food supplements.

Recoverite...I mirrored 2 differant rides 2 weeks apart, same speed,HR, elasped time, everything, wind was the same etc. After using the recoverite there was a differance in my legs the next day, enough I could felt a lot freasher. I now use it for skiing as well when skiing back to back to back days.

Farmguy said:
I used to use Cytomax and now use Hammer products, thats all I use. Seems to be better tasting and I never "tire" of it the way I have of others. I use Recoverite, Hammerheed, Endurlite food supplements.

Recoverite...I mirrored 2 differant rides 2 weeks apart, same speed,HR, elasped time, everything, wind was the same etc. After using the recoverite there was a differance in my legs the next day, enough I could felt a lot freasher. I now use it for skiing as well when skiing back to back to back days.
Are you sure you don't work for Hammer??? New member (Feb 07) and only 2 posts. Gotta wonder...

Nope, just found the site from a friend and I like the product........oh, and I only eat Cliff Bars on the bike, does that help?

Have used Hammer products ever since I began cycling two years ago i was worried about the short sugar chains in other products as diabeties runs in the family...they are great no problems so far and would recommend anytime anywhere...

I just switched to Hammer Gel from GU recently ... more flavores with no caffiene (although GU does not readily label the caffeine content in its gel).

I use Gatorade on the bike now, but am switching to Hammerheed when I use up the Gatorade.

I use EndoroxR4 for recovery with the same results as with Recoverite, so I'll probably stay with what I have been using.

A Power Bars work great for me a 1/2 hour before I ride.

I'm type-2 diabetic, and these products keep me going just before, during and after a ride (of 1 hour or more.).

cytomax and perpetuem are different products for difference purposes. cytomax is more comparable to HEED, i.e. an energy and electrolyte drink. perpetuem, on the other hand, was designed for endurance use. Perpetuem has about double the amount of Calories per ml/oz, contains a bit of fat and soy protein (to minimise muscle cannibalisation).

i recently tried a tub of cytomax and found it to be sickly sweet and bordering on revolting. i bought the orange flavour and when i made my first bottle, i thought it was a pumpkin soup mix. they just went way overboard with the colouring. this is one reason why i prefer Hammer products - no colouring. also, i like the mild flavours and the not overpowering sweetness of Hammer products. that'll be my last tub of cytomax, ever.

is perpetuem better than cytomax? don't know. i only use cytomax for short rides (less than 2 hours) and will cease doing so once i finish that tub. on longer rides, i use HEED (or Leppin Enduro Booster) and Perpetuem.

boon

Tim Lamkin said:
Perpetuem...tastes like ****....I know of now way to fix that
i take it that you have tasted **** at some point in your life?

Hammer stuff is very expensive. Heed is great stuff for the shorter rides. Perp is hard to get down so I have mixed Heed/Perp 50/50 and that taste much better. I use 1 bottle of water and one multihour bottle.. 460cal (2 scoops each in a bottle will last at least 2 hours). Bring along a gel flask and you are set.

Most of the time I use cytomax (pink lemonade) and powerbars, cliff bars or fignewtons/cookies. My budget wont allow hammer products year around.

I havent tried anything as of yet but am researching- a friend uses the hammer stuff & likes it. I called them to see if they would be willing to send me a trial size of some of their products- NO!! was their response, we cant afford to do that. They instantly lost me ever being a customer, I will try & eventually use another competers product, I dont care how good they or anyone else says their products are there cannot be a significant difference that I cant live with, no matter how bad another product may taste it wont leave as bad a taste in my mouth as their managers response did!!

This is a great endurance product that I like

http://www.spiz.net/

macguyver said:
I havent tried anything as of yet but am researching- a friend uses the hammer stuff & likes it. I called them to see if they would be willing to send me a trial size of some of their products- NO!! was their response, we cant afford to do that. They instantly lost me ever being a customer, I will try & eventually use another competers product, I dont care how good they or anyone else says their products are there cannot be a significant difference that I cant live with, no matter how bad another product may taste it wont leave as bad a taste in my mouth as their managers response did!!

macguyver said:
That is surprising to me since they included a bunch of free samples of various Hammer products on my first order. Then they called me once and emailed me once to see if everything went okay with the order.

It just seems like they would have sent you a free sample. :confused:

Anyway, I have been using Hammer products now for a couple of months and have liked the enduralytes and Perpetuem. The gels are good, but I guess I am just too messy when I use gels so I will not order those again.

Felt_Rider said:
It just seems like they would have sent you a free sample. :confused:
I thought so to- its not like I was asking for very much- just a single serving of a couple things-- and to rub s**t in my face- they told me they give all the stuff away to athletes they sponsor & regular customers-- Typical American Capitolist Management-- cant see the forrest for the trees.

macguyver said:
I thought so to- its not like I was asking for very much- just a single serving of a couple things-- and to rub s**t in my face- they told me they give all the stuff away to athletes they sponsor & regular customers-- Typical American Capitolist Management-- cant see the forrest for the trees.
Uh-huh. As soon as some jackass gets free samples then every fred in the country will be asking for free stuff. You said you have a friend that uses their stuff. How hard is it to ask your bro for a sample?

They do have sample packs. It's like ten bucks for a variety of their powdered products.

Bro Deal said:
Uh-huh. As soon as some jackass gets free samples then every fred in the country will be asking for free stuff.
I guess tht by "everyone in the country " you mean a lot of people. Besides I doubt that as many people that would ask about a sample, probably wouldnt cause a serious dent in their profits- maybe the president of the company might have to buy his kid a new corvette every other year instead of every year.