Hammergesl?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chuck Liu, May 3, 2003.

  1. Chuck Liu

    Chuck Liu Guest

    Anyone tried Hammer Gels for long distance multi-day rides (with emphasis on endurance)? How are
    they compared to Gu or Cliff shots? Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Pete Hausner

    Pete Hausner Guest

    >Anyone tried Hammer Gels for long distance multi-day rides (with emphasis on endurance)? How are
    >they compared to Gu or Cliff shots? Thanks

    Fine...and a lot less expensive. And flasks are much neater than packets.

    Might want to consider making your own stuff as an alternative if you're planning to use a qt. or so
    per quarter...much cheaper than store-bought.

    PH

  3. "Pete Hausner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Anyone tried Hammer Gels for long distance multi-day rides (with emphasis on endurance)? How are
    > >they compared to Gu or Cliff shots? Thanks
    > >

    > Fine...and a lot less expensive. And flasks are much neater than packets.
    >
    > Might want to consider making your own stuff as an alternative if you're planning to use a qt. or
    > so per quarter...much cheaper than store-bought.
    >
    > PH

    Interesting idea - any recipes or links to such?

    SB

  4. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    "Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Interesting idea - any recipes or links to such?

    On the theory that most of these gels are geared to supply a quick rush with simple sugar (looking
    at the labels of Gu and Cliff Shot; don't know about Hammergel), my stuff consists of equal parts
    corn syrup, chocolate sauce, and caramel syrup. All of those are pure sugar with a bit of salt, and
    fat free. As far as I can tell from the Gu label, only thing missing from my mix is potassium, which
    I don't think is necessary in a gel; Cytomax etc. supplies electrolytes if you are looking for that.
    I also add a tad of peanut butter to thicken the mix; though the protein is not quickly digestible
    like the rest of the ingrediants, it has caused me no stomach problems. I find the taste just fine -
    if you like candy, you can tolerate
    it. Certainly no worse than commercial product.

    I store the recipe in the fridge in a water bottle, and before a ride microwave it briefly to
    soften, then pour into a gel flask.

    I also have been known to grind up a No-Doz or two (pure caffeine, each pill approx. equal to a cup
    of coffee) and a few tabs of ibuprofen for long rides.

    This is all ignorant and amateur, but I can't really tell the difference in effect between my swill
    and the commercial stuff, but can see a huge difference in the wallet.

  5. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    Doug Taylor wrote:
    > On the theory that most of these gels are geared to supply a quick rush with simple sugar (looking
    > at the labels of Gu and Cliff Shot; don't know about Hammergel)...

    Hammergel touts the fact that they have no *simple* sugars in their stuff. It's based on
    maltodextrose. There are also claims about why this is a good thing.

    > my stuff consists of equal parts corn syrup, chocolate sauce, and caramel syrup.

    The reason I use Hammer gel is that corn syrup and I don't get along. Wish I did, the damn stuff is
    in everything!

    For the OP: The Hammer stuff works very well for me. Try the apple flavor - the orange stuff tastes
    awful, but of course tasted vary.
    --
    Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply

  6. Doug Taylor wrote:
    > On the theory that most of these gels are geared to supply a quick rush with simple sugar (looking
    > at the labels of Gu

    Did you actually *read* the label on the Gu? The label on the Gu I'm looking at has maltodextrin as
    the first ingredient, water as the second and then a simple sugar as the third.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  7. Wade Summers

    Wade Summers Guest

    I'd have to disagree with an earlier post about the flasks being less messy. I've had more than a
    hand full of times when my jersey pocket had its fair share of gel in it from leaky flasks. Some
    were my fault when I didn't click the top closed tight and others were from flasks where the gel
    leaked out through the top's threads. The minute I heard they had single serving packets I ordered
    those in my favorite flavor, raspberry. Esspresso and vanilla are also good. If you use the flask,
    you can also combine flavors.

    Wade

    news:WBrta.39420$D%[email protected]...
    > Doug Taylor wrote:
    > > On the theory that most of these gels are geared to supply a quick rush with simple sugar
    > > (looking at the labels of Gu
    >
    > Did you actually *read* the label on the Gu? The label on the Gu I'm looking at has maltodextrin
    > as the first ingredient, water as the second and then a simple sugar as the third.
    >
    > JT

    > NB: reply-to address is munged
    >
    > Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  8. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Mark Janeba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Doug Taylor wrote:
    > > On the theory that most of these gels are geared to supply a quick rush
    with
    > > simple sugar (looking at the labels of Gu and Cliff Shot; don't know
    about
    > > Hammergel)...
    >
    > Hammergel touts the fact that they have no *simple* sugars in their stuff. It's based on
    > maltodextrose. There are also claims about why this is a good thing.
    >
    > > my stuff consists of equal parts corn syrup, chocolate sauce, and caramel syrup.
    >
    > The reason I use Hammer gel is that corn syrup and I don't get along. Wish I did, the damn stuff
    > is in everything!
    >
    > For the OP: The Hammer stuff works very well for me. Try the apple flavor - the orange stuff
    > tastes awful, but of course tasted vary.

    Here's the ingredient list from that stuff: Long-chain Maltodextrin, Filtered Water, Energy SmartĀ®
    (Fruit Juice, Natural Grain Dextrins), Banana Puree, Natural Flavor, Amino Acids (L-Leucine,
    L-Alanine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine), Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Sorbate
    (as a preservative), Potassium Chloride.

    The following link suggests why they use maltodextrin.

    http://www.opta-food.com/access/glucose.html

    What kind of time do you think it takes to get energy benefits from Maltodextrin , which is
    apparently digested in the small intestine?

    But I'd like to see something that suggests that all this stuff is better than normal food (for the
    non-serious-non-competitor). Aside from being convenient forms of nourishment while on the bike, I
    see no advantage to them over a normal diet. While I'm on it, what are the amino acids supposed to
    do? I thought they only benefit in post-exercise recovery (anabolic).

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  9. Steve Blankenship wrote:
    > Interesting idea - any recipes or links to such?

    I make my own out of Karo's corn syrup, honey, and sometimes molassis. You can duplicate the
    caffeine in Gu and Hammergel by grinding up a NoDoz pill and mixing it in.

    --
    Jerry Gardner [email protected]

  10. Mark Janeba wrote:

    > Hammergel touts the fact that they have no *simple* sugars in their stuff. It's based on
    > maltodextrose. There are also claims about why this is a good thing.

    Maltodextrose is available from health food shops.

    --
    Jerry Gardner [email protected]

  11. Wade Summers

    Wade Summers Guest

    "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:reuta.56679> But I'd like to see
    something that suggests that all this stuff is better
    > than normal food (for the non-serious-non-competitor). Aside from being convenient forms of
    > nourishment while on the bike, I see no advantage to them over a normal diet. While I'm on it,
    > what are the amino acids
    supposed
    > to do? I thought they only benefit in post-exercise recovery (anabolic).
    >
    > --
    > Robin Hubert <[email protected]>

    Its not better than "real" food, but convenience is the whole point. It can be hard to whoof down
    real food during a race. The gels are easier both in the physical act of getting the food from your
    pocket to your mouth and in the digestion.

    Wade