Hampstead Heath - increase cycling facilities?

wheelist wrote:

> There's a bit of a furore going on regarding cycle paths on Hampstead
> Heath.
>
> You can catch up on the story and vote on whether they should add a
> couple more cycle paths here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/gs5yy
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wheelist

Yes. a tunnel under most of it, from the Heath Extension at Wild Hatch
to approximately where Hampstead Heath station is. Would save having to
go up an enormous hill just to come down another one.

They should also tarmac the one they currently have between Parliament
Hill and Jack Straw's Castle so that normal bikes can actually ride on
it. Same for Parkland Walk.

In fact I would take my tunnel idea further and create a little network
which might even link up with a nice smoothly-tarmac'ed Parkland Walk.

"Earl Purple" <[email protected]>typed

> wheelist wrote:

> > There's a bit of a furore going on regarding cycle paths on Hampstead
> > Heath.
> >
> > You can catch up on the story and vote on whether they should add a
> > couple more cycle paths here:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/gs5yy
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Wheelist

> Yes. a tunnel under most of it, from the Heath Extension at Wild Hatch
> to approximately where Hampstead Heath station is. Would save having to
> go up an enormous hill just to come down another one.

> They should also tarmac the one they currently have between Parliament
> Hill and Jack Straw's Castle so that normal bikes can actually ride on
> it. Same for Parkland Walk.

> In fact I would take my tunnel idea further and create a little network
> which might even link up with a nice smoothly-tarmac'ed Parkland Walk.

I don't think the Heath and Hampstead Society want those pesky Lycra
louts whizzing past their walking defaecators. I think cyclists on the
Heath are supposed to stay below 8mph.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
link up with a nice smoothly-tarmac'ed Parkland Walk.

> I don't think the Heath and Hampstead Society want those pesky Lycra
> louts whizzing past their walking defaecators. I think cyclists on the
> Heath are supposed to stay below 8mph.

So give me my tunnel and I'll be passing them at 15-20 mph underneath,
not disturbing them at all.

"Earl Purple" <[email protected]>typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> link up with a nice smoothly-tarmac'ed Parkland Walk.
> >
> > I don't think the Heath and Hampstead Society want those pesky Lycra
> > louts whizzing past their walking defaecators. I think cyclists on the
> > Heath are supposed to stay below 8mph.

> So give me my tunnel and I'll be passing them at 15-20 mph underneath,
> not disturbing them at all.

I can't afford it this week. I take it you want ventilation in your
tunnel too...

--

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> I can't afford it this week. I take it you want ventilation in your tunnel too...

Twin tunnels, one for South-East bound cyclists, one for North-West
bound cyclists, and tail-winds for both.

Actually, seriously, apart from the cost, which in my mind would be a
worthwhile investment, what exactly would be the issues against such a
tunnel? After all, this might actually provide what cyclists are asking
for - a true cycle facility. Through rough measurements on
streetmap.co.uk I think the tunnel would be about 2 miles long so at
15mph you'd clear it in 8 minutes and at 20mph in 6 minutes. Once
built, I reckon the maintenance will be relatively low because cyclists
are not likely to cause much structural damage.

in message <[email protected]>, Earl
Purple ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>
>> I can't afford it this week. I take it you want ventilation in your
>> tunnel too...

> Twin tunnels, one for South-East bound cyclists, one for North-West
> bound cyclists, and tail-winds for both.
>
> Actually, seriously, apart from the cost, which in my mind would be a
> worthwhile investment, what exactly would be the issues against such a
> tunnel? After all, this might actually provide what cyclists are asking
> for - a true cycle facility. Through rough measurements on
> streetmap.co.uk I think the tunnel would be about 2 miles long so at
> 15mph you'd clear it in 8 minutes and at 20mph in 6 minutes. Once
> built, I reckon the maintenance will be relatively low because cyclists
> are not likely to cause much structural damage.

Excellent place for muggers to string wires across. Excellent place for
vandals to smash lights. Not a good plan, in my opinion.

Age equals angst multiplied by the speed of fright squared.
;; the Worlock

Simon Brooke <[email protected]>typed

> in message <[email protected]>, Earl
> Purple ('[email protected]') wrote:

> > Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> >
> >> I can't afford it this week. I take it you want ventilation in your
> >> tunnel too...

> > Twin tunnels, one for South-East bound cyclists, one for North-West
> > bound cyclists, and tail-winds for both.
> >
> > Actually, seriously, apart from the cost, which in my mind would be a
> > worthwhile investment, what exactly would be the issues against such a
> > tunnel? After all, this might actually provide what cyclists are asking
> > for - a true cycle facility. Through rough measurements on
> > streetmap.co.uk I think the tunnel would be about 2 miles long so at
> > 15mph you'd clear it in 8 minutes and at 20mph in 6 minutes. Once
> > built, I reckon the maintenance will be relatively low because cyclists
> > are not likely to cause much structural damage.

> Excellent place for muggers to string wires across. Excellent place for
> vandals to smash lights. Not a good plan, in my opinion.

Would stench of **** within a few minutes of opening. Now breathe that
for 8 minutes...

Why not come to Camden Cycling Campaign's monthly meeting tonight?

Details on: http://www.camdencyclists.org.uk/

--

Simon Brooke wrote:
> Excellent place for muggers to string wires across. Excellent place for
> vandals to smash lights. Not a good plan, in my opinion.

and just how long would it take for the muggers to get out of the
tunnel? They might just find that by the time they get to the end, a
couple of cops are waiting for them. Looks a silly place to do mugging
to me

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> Would stench of **** within a few minutes of opening. Now breathe that
> for 8 minutes...

Probably less harmful than exhaust fumes of buses and lorries.

> Why not come to Camden Cycling Campaign's monthly meeting tonight?
>
> Details on: http://www.camdencyclists.org.uk/

Link never opened.

> Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
> Edgware.

Isn't Edgware on the Barnet/Harrow border though?

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Excellent place for muggers to string wires across. Excellent place
> for vandals to smash lights. Not a good plan, in my opinion.

Muggers? Vandals? In /Hampstead/?

(Deplores state of nation. Writes aggrieved letter to The Times)

--
Dave Larrington
Do not top-post like a Cretinous Foul-Yob fit only for Stoning.

Earl Purple wrote on 11/09/2006 11:51 +0100:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> Excellent place for muggers to string wires across. Excellent place for
>> vandals to smash lights. Not a good plan, in my opinion.

> and just how long would it take for the muggers to get out of the
> tunnel? They might just find that by the time they get to the end, a
> couple of cops are waiting for them. Looks a silly place to do mugging
> to me

Ten seconds if that if just inside the end, with look out posted if they
have any concerns. What are you going to do having cycled for eight
minutes to find a bunch of NED's blocking you way inside a tunnel with
no-one else around?

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Tony Raven wrote:
> Earl Purple wrote on 11/09/2006 11:51 +0100:
> > Simon Brooke wrote:
> >> Excellent place for muggers to string wires across. Excellent place for
> >> vandals to smash lights. Not a good plan, in my opinion.

> > and just how long would it take for the muggers to get out of the
> > tunnel? They might just find that by the time they get to the end, a
> > couple of cops are waiting for them. Looks a silly place to do mugging
> > to me
> >

> Ten seconds if that if just inside the end, with look out posted if they
> have any concerns. What are you going to do having cycled for eight
> minutes to find a bunch of NED's blocking you way inside a tunnel with
> no-one else around?

Not sure there would be nobody else around. My guess is that such a
route would be fairly busy with cyclists. Maybe not the best option in
the middle of the night, but if it were decently equipped with CCTV
that might put off the muggers and vandals anyway.

Earl Purple wrote on 11/09/2006 12:48 +0100:

>> Ten seconds if that if just inside the end, with look out posted if they
>> have any concerns. What are you going to do having cycled for eight
>> minutes to find a bunch of NED's blocking you way inside a tunnel with
>> no-one else around?
>>

> Not sure there would be nobody else around. My guess is that such a
> route would be fairly busy with cyclists. Maybe not the best option in
> the middle of the night, but if it were decently equipped with CCTV
> that might put off the muggers and vandals anyway.

But you haven't said what you would do and whether it would affect you
willingness to use the tunnel? Remember when you start in the tunnel
you can't be sure what is at the other end or in the middle, you can't
be sure there will be anyone around and you can't be sure any cameras
are working or that anyone will respond to them within the time period
of the threat.

As for putting them off, we've all seen copious quantities of CCTV
footage of vandalism and robbery on the TV so its deterrent effect seems
somewhat limited. Just wear a hoodie.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

"Earl Purple" <[email protected]>typed

> Simon Brooke wrote:
> > Excellent place for muggers to string wires across. Excellent place for
> > vandals to smash lights. Not a good plan, in my opinion.

> and just how long would it take for the muggers to get out of the
> tunnel? They might just find that by the time they get to the end, a
> couple of cops are waiting for them. Looks a silly place to do mugging
> to me

Yebbut yer mobile phone won't work...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"Earl Purple" <[email protected]>typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> > Would stench of **** within a few minutes of opening. Now breathe that
> > for 8 minutes...

> Probably less harmful than exhaust fumes of buses and lorries.

> > Why not come to Camden Cycling Campaign's monthly meeting tonight?
> >
> > Details on: http://www.camdencyclists.org.uk/

> Link never opened.

It did when I went there earlier...

> Isn't Edgware on the Barnet/Harrow border though?

Actually, I live in Brent!

I became involved with Camden Cycling Campaign when my partner uprooted
from West Hampstead to plant himself here. I got roped in to editing
their Newsletter.

David now has astronomy meetings which clash with CCC meetings.

I also attend Barnet Cyclists meetings cos I've been a member there for
20 years...

....and I can't even ride a bike any more.

--

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Earl Purple wrote:

> and just how long would it take for the muggers to get out of the
> tunnel? They might just find that by the time they get to the end, a
> couple of cops are waiting for them. Looks a silly place to do mugging
> to me

Why would you even expect the police to be interested, let alone get there
in the few mins they'd need to catch them?

Cheers

Chris
--
Chris Johns

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote on 11/09/2006 13:35 +0100:
> "Earl Purple" <[email protected]>typed
>

>> Simon Brooke wrote:
>>> Excellent place for muggers to string wires across. Excellent place for
>>> vandals to smash lights. Not a good plan, in my opinion.

>> and just how long would it take for the muggers to get out of the
>> tunnel? They might just find that by the time they get to the end, a
>> couple of cops are waiting for them. Looks a silly place to do mugging
>> to me

> Yebbut yer mobile phone won't work...

Speshully when you have just donated it to the local fauna what is
legging it away.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

In article <[email protected]>
Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>
> Ten seconds if that if just inside the end, with look out posted if they
> have any concerns. What are you going to do having cycled for eight
> minutes to find a bunch of NED's blocking you way inside a tunnel with
> no-one else around?

Deploy the spikey handlebar and pedal extensions, and accelerate firmly.

:)

Rob Morley wrote on 11/09/2006 14:18 +0100:
> In article <[email protected]>
> Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> <snip>
>> Ten seconds if that if just inside the end, with look out posted if they
>> have any concerns. What are you going to do having cycled for eight
>> minutes to find a bunch of NED's blocking you way inside a tunnel with
>> no-one else around?
>>

> Deploy the spikey handlebar and pedal extensions, and accelerate firmly.

You'll get arrested for threatening NEDs with a dangerous weapon for
that. The one time you can guarantee the police will turn up and
quickly ;-)

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci