Hamstring pain due to saddle?

Guaps

Aug 14, 2006
About a year ago I finally found a saddle that didn't make me go numb and felt OK. Most saddles I tried I had numbness after less than an hour or just didn't fit right (caused major pain when I urinate). I have given up on a saddle that I would call comfortable. I'm not sure it exists after 7 saddles. I only have one discomfort on this saddle - I have pain in my hamstrings within 15 minutes of starting my ride. I can usually ignore it, but after a couple hours, it gets to be pretty annoying. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Is this a product of saddle height/position? Or do i need to start the search again?

Right now I have a Selle Italia SLK. I have tried and not liked the following:

Selle Italia Flite (with cut out - very painful and numbness)
Bontrager Race that came on my brother's Trek Madone (no cut out, major numbness)
Bntrager Select (looks like a beach cruiser saddle - too bulky, too much padding)
Koobi Enduro (major numbness after about 20 minutes)
Fizik Airone (sharp pain in the under area)
Selle San Marco (can't remember the model. painful to say the least)

Thanks!

It could be the saddle, but are you sure that you haven't changed your position? If you are sitting further back, your hips will be flexed more and your hamstrings will be pulled tighter.

Doesn't sound like it may necessarily be a problem with the saddle. I tend to believe that discomfort has more to do with the adjustment of the saddle itself... your position on the seat, the height of the seatpost, the angle of the saddle, the positioning of the seat on the rails, etc. etc. You should probably have a pro bs fit you before you spend more money on a saddle. You might also want to look at your shorts...it sounds funny, but perhaps they are a bit too tight for you, ergo...too small??

Guaps said:
About a year ago I finally found a saddle that didn't make me go numb and felt OK. Most saddles I tried I had numbness after less than an hour or just didn't fit right (caused major pain when I urinate). I have given up on a saddle that I would call comfortable. I'm not sure it exists after 7 saddles. I only have one discomfort on this saddle - I have pain in my hamstrings within 15 minutes of starting my ride. I can usually ignore it, but after a couple hours, it gets to be pretty annoying. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Is this a product of saddle height/position? Or do i need to start the search again?

Right now I have a Selle Italia SLK. I have tried and not liked the following:

Selle Italia Flite (with cut out - very painful and numbness)
Bontrager Race that came on my brother's Trek Madone (no cut out, major numbness)
Bntrager Select (looks like a beach cruiser saddle - too bulky, too much padding)
Koobi Enduro (major numbness after about 20 minutes)
Fizik Airone (sharp pain in the under area)
Selle San Marco (can't remember the model. painful to say the least)

Thanks!

artemidorus said:
It could be the saddle, but are you sure that you haven't changed your position? If you are sitting further back, your hips will be flexed more and your hamstrings will be pulled tighter.
I do sit pretty far back on my seat to avoid putting too much weight on the nose of the saddle. If I sit forward more, it gets painful.

lohsnest said:
Doesn't sound like it may necessarily be a problem with the saddle. I tend to believe that discomfort has more to do with the adjustment of the saddle itself... your position on the seat, the height of the seatpost, the angle of the saddle, the positioning of the seat on the rails, etc. etc. You should probably have a pro bs fit you before you spend more money on a saddle. You might also want to look at your shorts...it sounds funny, but perhaps they are a bit too tight for you, ergo...too small??
I got fit at a local pro shop, and that solved a lot of the problems I was having - all except the hamstrings. Maybe I should go back in and see if they can address that specific problem. Probably a good idea, thanks.

I'm pretty sure it's not my shorts. I own three different brands of bibs, all fit me slightly differently - one is even a bit too large. I have the problem with all three pair.