Hamstring pain

Cprace1

Nov 6, 2005
Let me explain my situation last September I had a race about half way through I went to stand up and felt an awful pain in my hamstring I tried to ride and made it about another 40 or so miles before I could no longer pedal. I took it easy for about 6 months when it started to feel better I started to run again and play other sports it felt great no pain what so ever. I got back on the bike and the pain started again nothing I could not ride through just an uncomfortable pain. The only thing I changed before the injury was shoes I fine it hard to believe that would cause the problem but I could be wrong, I thought about changing the seat height I was wondering if anyone else might have any suggestions.

If you haven't been fit for your bike, you should find a good bike shop and get this done. It could be any number of things related to bike fit that's causing the hamstring pain.

Good luck.

noonievut said:
If you haven't been fit for your bike, you should find a good bike shop and get this done. It could be any number of things related to bike fit that's causing the hamstring pain.

Good luck.

Thank you for your help :)

Cprace1 said:
Let me explain my situation last September I had a race about half way through I went to stand up and felt an awful pain in my hamstring I tried to ride and made it about another 40 or so miles before I could no longer pedal. I took it easy for about 6 months when it started to feel better I started to run again and play other sports it felt great no pain what so ever. I got back on the bike and the pain started again nothing I could not ride through just an uncomfortable pain. The only thing I changed before the injury was shoes I fine it hard to believe that would cause the problem but I could be wrong, I thought about changing the seat height I was wondering if anyone else might have any suggestions.
Cprace1 - I think you made a mistake by riding 40 miles with an injured hamstring. I ran for 32 years and learned that if you push hamstring injuries they can then take a very, very, very long time to heal. Don't make the mistake again by riding with pain. Be very careful. Try icing the hamstring at least once a day and stretch it as often as you can (wait till it's warm before you start stretching, though!). Hope you're able to ride pain free soon.

BillBB said:
Cprace1 - I think you made a mistake by riding 40 miles with an injured hamstring. I ran for 32 years and learned that if you push hamstring injuries they can then take a very, very, very long time to heal. Don't make the mistake again by riding with pain. Be very careful. Try icing the hamstring at least once a day and stretch it as often as you can (wait till it's warm before you start stretching, though!). Hope you're able to ride pain free soon.
I was just about to start a thread asking if it was OK to ride with a tender hamstring when I came across this thread!

For the last 1-2 days my right hamstring has been at me. I wouldn't say it was painful - just a little delicate. And I can feel it with my fingers quite easily in comparison to the left one (it really does feel like a 'string'!). I rode 50 km on it today and that doesn't seem to have aggravated it. According to a triathlete that I work with, it is OK to ride on a tender hamstring so long as you stay away from the hills and avoid 'pulling' too much on the upstroke. Does this sound right?

I really want to go for a decent ride tomorrow and I'll be like a bear with a sore head if I can't. I'm itchin' for it...

mccormac said:
I was just about to start a thread asking if it was OK to ride with a tender hamstring when I came across this thread!

For the last 1-2 days my right hamstring has been at me. I wouldn't say it was painful - just a little delicate. And I can feel it with my fingers quite easily in comparison to the left one (it really does feel like a 'string'!). I rode 50 km on it today and that doesn't seem to have aggravated it. According to a triathlete that I work with, it is OK to ride on a tender hamstring so long as you stay away from the hills and avoid 'pulling' too much on the upstroke. Does this sound right?

I really want to go for a decent ride tomorrow and I'll be like a bear with a sore head if I can't. I'm itchin' for it...

Dido what you just said. Also, I've done about 3 - 50km rides and only noticed discomfort when on hills. I've really avoided pulling on the upstroke like you said. I've tried to use an easier gear on hills so the cadence is high, I think this has helped. Lot's of stretching afterwards has also helped (as well as Advil...Ibuprofen).

Good luck.

noonievut said:
Dido what you just said. Also, I've done about 3 - 50km rides and only noticed discomfort when on hills. I've really avoided pulling on the upstroke like you said. I've tried to use an easier gear on hills so the cadence is high, I think this has helped. Lot's of stretching afterwards has also helped (as well as Advil...Ibuprofen).
Took the Ibufrofen and went for an 80 km ride at a moderate pace. Avoided hills but couldn't do much about a fairly full-on head wind for the first 30 km! But the hamstring seems to have held up nicely - it's no more tender than it was this time yesterday. Thanks for the advice.

mccormac said:
Took the Ibufrofen and went for an 80 km ride at a moderate pace. Avoided hills but couldn't do much about a fairly full-on head wind for the first 30 km! But the hamstring seems to have held up nicely - it's no more tender than it was this time yesterday. Thanks for the advice.

I just did 50km on both Saturday and Sunday, although the hamstring is no more tender, I'm tight this morning. I felt great on Saturday, just a slight cross wind and I could've easily went for longer.

On Sunday I got a light start and wasn't in the right frame of mind. The first 25 were good, but the last 25 was straight into a headwind. I maintained an unusually good pace in it, but felt drained when I got home.

I have a 4-day 400km (minimum) charity ride this summer so I hope I can start to increase my riding time per week.