hana highway

Sewnsurg

Guest
Anyone ever cycled this? Can you tell me about it. Am planning a 3-4 ride in Maui in Sept and this
road from Hana to Kahului is one possiblity.

[email protected]

[email protected] (AKJ) posted:

> Never cycled it but have driven it. Hardly enough room for cars. No bike lane. It would be a scary
> undertaking I think. Drive to Hana. Pedal up Haleakela. Al

Agree with Al about the route around the north side. But the route around the south side has less
traffic, straighter roads, and more spectacular scenery. We drove it (did not bike) clockwise on a
Sunday morning - it was empty. So empty that food & drink were not available until the winery above
Wailea, 20 miles before Kahului. The road includes a climb from sea level to 3000 ft and then a long
long downhill.
- Max

--
MisterMax Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, Maui, Malaysia, Morocco, Sicily (new), St Tropez,
Thailand, Tour de France: http://buten.net/max/ (Yes,RemoveDoubles is part of my email address. The

The Hana Highway is a fabulous ride, scenic, rolling and actually relatively quiet. It is narrow,
but cars can't drive fast because it winds so much and they are usually traveling in a bunch stuck
behind a slow driver. We include it as part of our Maui Explorer tour and guests love the ride.

There aren't too many food options between Paia and Hana, so be sure to carry some snacks. Same goes
for water, though you can often ask at a house for water if you are in need.

Tom CYCLEVENTS

On Sun, 04 May 2003 13:59:52 GMT, "sewnsurg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone ever cycled this? Can you tell me about it. Am planning a 3-4 ride in Maui in Sept and this
>road from Hana to Kahului is one possiblity.
>
>[email protected]

> The Hana Highway is a fabulous ride, scenic, rolling and actually relatively quiet. It is narrow,
> but cars can't drive fast because
it
> winds so much and they are usually traveling in a bunch stuck behind
> slow driver. We include it as part of our Maui Explorer tour and guests love the ride.

I agree. I did it years ago when the road was a lot rougher and really enjoyed it. The speed limit
is 15 MPH, so that is an indication of how windy it is. Yes, cars exceed the limit somewhat but it
is hard to get going too fast. I haven't heard of cyclists having a problem riding
it. I haven't done the south side, but have always wanted to.

Colin