hana highway

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Sewnsurg, May 4, 2003.

  1. Sewnsurg

    Sewnsurg Guest

    Anyone ever cycled this? Can you tell me about it. Am planning a 3-4 ride in Maui in Sept and this
    road from Hana to Kahului is one possiblity.

    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Mister Max

    Mister Max Guest

    [email protected] (AKJ) posted:

    > Never cycled it but have driven it. Hardly enough room for cars. No bike lane. It would be a scary
    > undertaking I think. Drive to Hana. Pedal up Haleakela. Al

    Agree with Al about the route around the north side. But the route around the south side has less
    traffic, straighter roads, and more spectacular scenery. We drove it (did not bike) clockwise on a
    Sunday morning - it was empty. So empty that food & drink were not available until the winery above
    Wailea, 20 miles before Kahului. The road includes a climb from sea level to 3000 ft and then a long
    long downhill.
    - Max

    --
    MisterMax Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, Maui, Malaysia, Morocco, Sicily (new), St Tropez,
    Thailand, Tour de France: http://buten.net/max/ (Yes,RemoveDoubles is part of my email address. The

  3. towncrier

    towncrier Guest

    The Hana Highway is a fabulous ride, scenic, rolling and actually relatively quiet. It is narrow,
    but cars can't drive fast because it winds so much and they are usually traveling in a bunch stuck
    behind a slow driver. We include it as part of our Maui Explorer tour and guests love the ride.

    There aren't too many food options between Paia and Hana, so be sure to carry some snacks. Same goes
    for water, though you can often ask at a house for water if you are in need.

    Tom CYCLEVENTS

    On Sun, 04 May 2003 13:59:52 GMT, "sewnsurg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anyone ever cycled this? Can you tell me about it. Am planning a 3-4 ride in Maui in Sept and this
    >road from Hana to Kahului is one possiblity.
    >
    >[email protected]

  4. Colin B.

    Colin B. Guest

    > The Hana Highway is a fabulous ride, scenic, rolling and actually relatively quiet. It is narrow,
    > but cars can't drive fast because
    it
    > winds so much and they are usually traveling in a bunch stuck behind
    > slow driver. We include it as part of our Maui Explorer tour and guests love the ride.

    I agree. I did it years ago when the road was a lot rougher and really enjoyed it. The speed limit
    is 15 MPH, so that is an indication of how windy it is. Yes, cars exceed the limit somewhat but it
    is hard to get going too fast. I haven't heard of cyclists having a problem riding
    it. I haven't done the south side, but have always wanted to.

    Colin