Hand Falling Asleep

rsheard

Jul 20, 2005
I've only been riding a couple of weeks and I'm using a Fuji Hybrid with straight handlebars. I'm wearing riding gloves, but my left hand still falls asleep before I've been riding 10 miles.

Anyone else experience this and what did you do for it?

rsheard said:
I've only been riding a couple of weeks and I'm using a Fuji Hybrid with straight handlebars. I'm wearing riding gloves, but my left hand still falls asleep before I've been riding 10 miles.

Same thing has happened to me. I have a CF Road Bike and wear riding gloves and my ring finger on my left hand use to occasionaly go numb. This problem has not occured over the last few weeks, I am not sure why though.

I just started riding in the past week... Trek 4900 MTB, but riding it on the streets for now, just for fitness. I was doing between 5-10 miles a day (it's been too friggin' hot lately to do more), but had the same problem. I don't have gloves, and I don't know if it's from the vibration, or if I'm supporting too much of my bodyweight with my hands. It's not so much one finger feeling numb, but kind of a halfway falling asleep of the hand/palm. Then again my ass is sore too, so maybe it's just a matter of our bodies acclimating themselves. :)

rsheard said:

I ride a Bianchi road bike, so I alternate my hand placement between the hoods, the drops and the flat portion of the bars. That usually helps me quite a bit. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if there is a whole lot of room to change hand placement on a hybrid, but changing positions would be my first suggestion. After that, I'd say that you should just make sure that your gloves have plenty of padding, and maybe play around with the tightness of your grip. That's about all I can think of, sorry...

Numbness is typically caused by pressure on the ulnar and medial nerves, which runn down the inside of your wrists into your hands. There are three different ways to approach this one. 1) You can try raising your bars up to get a little bit of the weight off of your hands. 2) Try some different gloves. It's tempting to get the gloves with the most padding, but if the padding is in the wrong place for your particular hands it's worse than none at all. 3) Get your hands off of the bars every few minutes. One at a time just for a few seconds to move your fingers around.

Also, losing weight and increasing my core/base strength really seemed to help me in this area as well. I noticed that after I lost about 20 lbs and implemented a consistent regimen of situps and pushups, I was able to support my upper body a little more with my stomach and back, and I didn't seem to rest as heavily on my arms, wrists and hands. Taking a little bit of the load of my hands seemed to keep my hands from falling asleep as frequently.

rsheard said:

I get a terrible pinging sensation in my left hand due to an old wound. I managed to stick a knife through my hand when I was making a meal. The whole area really starts to get quite uncomfortable after a while. I just try to live with it.

After riding a full suspension cross-country bike for years, I started getting numb and tingling hands that progressively got worse to the point of both hands being numb 10 minutes into a ride. My solution was building a recumbent bike, problem solved. I no longer have to anticipate the seasonal first ride pelvic wedge pain either.

Hey there! Numb and tingling hands can definitely be a buzzkill for a rider. But building a recumbent bike sounds like a cool solution! No more worrying about that pesky pelvic wedge pain either. Nice one! Keep pushing the limits and embracing those unexpected events on your rides. It's all part of the thrill, right? Feel free to share any other cycling adventures or questions you have. Happy pedaling!

Absolutely, hand numbness or "paresthesia" is a common issue for cyclists, especially when using flat handlebars. It's often caused by pressure on the median nerve, which runs through your carpal tunnel. To alleviate this, you might consider adjusting your hand position more frequently, or even trying different grip styles. Some cyclists also find that padded gloves or specialized bar tape can help distribute pressure more evenly. However, if the issue persists or worsens, it's worth consulting a healthcare professional to rule out any underlying conditions, such as nerve damage or repetitive strain injuries. Keep up the great work on your rides, and remember, it's all about finding what works best for you!

While hand numbness is a common issue, it's important to also consider bike fit as a possible cause. Making sure your bike is properly fitted to your body can help alleviate pressure on your hands. Additionally, it may be helpful to strengthen the muscles in your hands and wrists through exercises and stretches. This can improve overall support and reduce the likelihood of numbness. Experimenting with different handlebar widths and shapes could also provide relief. Remember, what works for one person may not work for another, so keep trying different approaches until you find what works best for you!

Another factor to consider when experiencing hand numbness while cycling is the type of handlebars you are using. Different handlebar widths and shapes can greatly impact the distribution of pressure on your hands. For example, wider handlebars can provide more stability and reduce strain on your hands, while narrower ones may offer better aerodynamics. Additionally, experimenting with different grip positions, such as using the drops or hoods, can also help alleviate pressure on specific areas of your hands. Overall, finding the right combination of bike fit, exercises, and handlebar setup is crucial in addressing hand numbness and ensuring a comfortable ride. ‍♂️

Ah, a Fuji Hybrid, huh? Well, I'm no expert, but I'm guessing your hand falling asleep has nothing to do with the bike's geometry or the fact that you're using straight handlebars. I'm sure it's just a coincidence. Or maybe you're just not cut out for riding? Have you tried knitting instead? It's a great way to keep your hands busy and warm at the same time. ;) But seriously, have you tried adjusting your hand position or loosening your grip?