Hand made chain tool for quick links

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bill B, Mar 8, 2003.

  1. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    I've owned 5 bents so far. On every one I have installed the quick link master link. Easy to put on
    but IMO can be a real bear to disconect.I have used several methods over the years to disconnect the
    quick link with marginal success. This new effort that I just made works like a champ. Its easy to
    make, is small enough to carry in your bike tool kit, its tough as nails and cheap cheap cheap to
    make. Check it out at http://community.webshots.com/user/recumbentbill look for new album "Quick
    link chain tool"

    Tags:

  2. A&B

    A&B Guest

    BillB, Great idea. Two questions. Whats the 322 mean on one of the doohickie arms, and did you step
    on any of those Sweet Gum balls while you were taking the pic ;-) bill g

    Bill B wrote:

    > I've owned 5 bents so far. On every one I have installed the quick link master link. Easy to put
    > on but IMO can be a real bear to disconect.I have used several methods over the years to
    > disconnect the quick link with marginal success. This new effort that I just made works like a
    > champ. Its easy to make, is small enough to carry in your bike tool kit, its tough as nails and
    > cheap cheap cheap to make. Check it out at http://community.webshots.com/user/recumbentbill look
    > for new album "Quick link chain tool"

  3. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I've owned 5 bents so far. On every one I have installed the quick link master link. Easy to put
    > on but IMO can be a real bear to disconect.I have used several methods over the years to
    > disconnect the quick link with marginal success. This new effort that I just made works like a
    > champ. Its easy to make, is small enough to carry in your bike tool kit, its tough as nails and
    > cheap cheap cheap to make. Check it out at http://community.webshots.com/user/recumbentbill look
    > for new album "Quick link chain tool"

    Bill! Shouldn't you be patenting that?

    rorschandt

  4. "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've owned 5 bents so far. On every one I have installed the quick link master link. Easy to put
    > on but IMO can be a real bear to disconect.I have used several methods over the years to
    > disconnect the quick link with marginal success. This new effort that I just made works like a
    > champ. Its easy to make, is small enough to carry in your bike tool kit, its tough as nails and
    > cheap cheap cheap to make. Check it out at http://community.webshots.com/user/recumbentbill look
    > for new album "Quick link chain tool"

    Thanks for posting all these brainstorms of your's, Bill. They really are appreciated!

    rich

    V2

  5. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    a&b <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > BillB, Great idea. Two questions. Whats the 322 mean on one of the doohickie arms, and did you
    > step on any of those Sweet Gum balls while you were taking the pic ;-) bill g
    >
    > Bill B wrote:
    > >
    > > I've owned 5 bents so far. On every one I have installed the quick link master link. Easy to put
    > > on but IMO can be a real bear to disconect.I have used several methods over the years to
    > > disconnect the quick link with marginal success. This new effort that I just made works like a
    > > champ. Its easy to make, is small enough to carry in your bike tool kit, its tough as nails and
    > > cheap cheap cheap to make. Check it out at http://community.webshots.com/user/recumbentbill look
    > > for new album "Quick link chain tool"

    I have no idea what the 322 is all about. Sweet gum balls are a pain in the booty.The big ole sweet
    gum tree drops a ton of those dudes every year. If you need any sweet gum balls let me know

  6. charlie

    charlie Guest

    I can't find your album. "Quick link chain tool" doesn't seem to be listed. Help.

    On 8 Mar 2003 16:53:43 -0800, [email protected] (Bill B) wrote:

    >I've owned 5 bents so far. On every one I have installed the quick link master link. Easy to put on
    >but IMO can be a real bear to disconect.I have used several methods over the years to disconnect
    >the quick link with marginal success. This new effort that I just made works like a champ. Its easy
    >to make, is small enough to carry in your bike tool kit, its tough as nails and cheap cheap cheap
    >to make. Check it out at http://community.webshots.com/user/recumbentbill look for new album "Quick
    >link chain tool"

  7. Hi, Bill, thats a handy tool. Glad to see you're still out there, tinkering.

    I have a suggestion that you might want to consider.

    If you were to move the fulcrum point closer to the 'business' end and add handles, so as to make it
    a 'scissor' tool, you wouldn't need the pliers.

    Hope this helps.

    Lewis.

    http://home.earthlink.net/~limeylew/index.html ..............

    [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've owned 5 bents so far. On every one I have installed the quick link master link. Easy to put
    > on but IMO can be a real bear to disconect.I have used several methods over the years to
    > disconnect the quick link with marginal success. This new effort that I just made works like a
    > champ. Its easy to make, is small enough to carry in your bike tool kit, its tough as nails and
    > cheap cheap cheap to make. Check it out at http://community.webshots.com/user/recumbentbill look
    > for new album "Quick link chain tool"

  8. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

  9. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

  10. Shortboat

    Shortboat Guest

    I have no idea where it is so I will just play along too. Wow! what a great idea! wish I would have
    thought of that!:)

  11. In article <[email protected]>, rorschandt says...

    >MLB <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> http://community.webshots.com/user/recumbentbill
    >
    >It was there, now I can't it find either. Maybe Bill IS going to patent it. Legally, Bill, you have
    >a year from the date made public to apply for a patent.

    That only holds true in the US. European patent law is a bit different, and does not include the
    grace period.

    As for the tool itself, it's a neat idea. But you can make one yourself from a coat hanger.

    Just cut an 8" length of stiff coat hanger wire, and bend about 1" of the wire at each end over a
    bit more than 90 degrees. To undo a quick link, just center the link between the ends of the wire,
    hook one end in a link, and pull on the chain to get an extra 3 or so links between the two ends
    before you hook the second end. Then all the tension is off of the quick link, and it is an easy
    matter to press the sides together and down on the ends to release the link. AND it makes
    installation of the link a snap too.

    Steve Christensen Midland, MI

  12. A&B

    A&B Guest

    Seeet Gum is worthless except for shade. It's the Kudzu of Southern forests. In my didn't know any
    better days, well I still don't, but anyway, somebody gave me a load of wood. All I had to do was
    haul it off. Guy said he thought it was oak. I'm like, cool. Got maybe 10 lwb pickups of the stuff
    cut about 30" a chunk. Started trying to split it. Decided I needed a better maul, later maybe
    steroids, finally gave up. Took a piece to a guy at work. he said, "Hell, that's Sweet Gum, can't do
    anything with it but throw it away". It had become a personal thing by then so I got the biggest
    hydraulic splitter, like 15ton, I could. Even the splitter couldn't do anything with some of it,
    although the stuff that did split burned real well. bill g g BTW, Like the guy said, patent that
    "Quick Link Champ"

    Bill B wrote:

    If you need any sweet gum balls let me know

  13. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    [email protected] (Duncan Cooper) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I tried the given link
    > > > http://community.webshots.com/user/recumbentbill
    >
    > Found many albums, but none titled "Quick link chain tool"
    >
    > Seems like everyone else is finding it.........I'm stumped

    hi Duncan and Charlie try again. I recieved some nasty E mails about my albums[chain tool in
    particular] Unknown dorks apparently do not like my tinkering. I got pissed off and deleted the
    album but got over it and put the album back.So take a look if you like. Thanks to every one that
    liked my tinkering Bill

  14. NO Problem in finding it. Here's how to do it... Click on:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/recumbentbill

    When you reach the site look to your right, where it says Page 1 of 2. Click on "Next" Now when you
    arrive at the second page, scroll down the picts until you see "Chain Tool" and click on it.

    EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    "Shortboat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have no idea where it is so I will just play along too. Wow! what a
    great
    > idea! wish I would have thought of that!:)

  15. Bill, forgive me if you knew this already, but...

    With the SRAM PowerLinks (and maybe other quick links too), releasing it with your fingers is dead
    easy. You don't press on the bushings, as your tool does.

    You squeeze the side links together with your forefinger and tumb, then move those fingers in
    opposite directions to release it (the "opposite direction" thing is hard to describe in words...
    you do it when you snap your fingers, or use the hand gesture for "lots of money" or, well, roll
    snot into a ball).

    I'd been struggling with quick links like crazy until I read this tip. Now I just release the chain
    from the chainrings and it's off in a snap (har har). The hardest part is keeping track of the two
    halves of the quick link when they fall out.

  16. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    [email protected] (Andrew Douglas) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bill, forgive me if you knew this already, but...
    >
    > With the SRAM PowerLinks (and maybe other quick links too), releasing it with your fingers is dead
    > easy. You don't press on the bushings, as your tool does.
    >
    > You squeeze the side links together with your forefinger and tumb, then move those fingers in
    > opposite directions to release it (the "opposite direction" thing is hard to describe in words...
    > you do it when you snap your fingers, or use the hand gesture for "lots of money" or, well, roll
    > snot into a ball).
    >
    > I'd been struggling with quick links like crazy until I read this tip. Now I just release the
    > chain from the chainrings and it's off in a snap (har har). The hardest part is keeping track of
    > the two halves of the quick link when they fall out.

    Andrew, You must have Arnold fingers. Yes I knew about your method but have never been able to do
    it[Arthritic fingers]. I'll have to keep using the chain tool.