Hand Nerve Damage??

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by wbmorrison, Oct 6, 2003.

1. wbmorrison

wbmorrison New Member

(If this is a duplicate post, I apologize.)

Yesterday, I completed an MS150 ride (first ride longer than 30 miles...wahoo!!) However, since yesterday, I have had a problem with my right hand (and not left): a persistent numb / tingling sensation in my pinky finger and down the outside of the palm, beneath the pinky. Worse, I have no apparent hand strength. For example, I still can not turn the ignition key in my car. When I try to grip the key with my index finger and thumb, it's as if there's no strength...I can't turn it at all.

I did get some tingling throughout the ride and changed hand positions frequently, plus periodically would shake it out. However, this has persisted for more than 24 hours.

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.

PS: Not sure it matters but I'm on a steel frame with Carbon fork.

Tags:

2. patch70

patch70 New Member

There is a condition called the 'ulnar claw hand' which can affect cyclists.
    It's due to pressure on the ulnar nerve as it passes through the front of the hand just beyond your wrist where you are leaning on the handlebars.
    This leads to numbness of the little finger, the adjacent half of the ring finger and the corresponding part of the palm. It also leads to partial weakness of the fingers, particularly the little & ring finger.
    If your thumb is also weak, that would suggest a second nerve is involved or else the problem is based higher up such as at your neck.
    Generally these problems get better but you should see a doctor. To prevent this happening, gloves may help if not used before, frequent changes of hand position, and gel tape for greater cushioning.

3. kparrish

kparrish New Member

Wow, I thought I was the only one who was suffering from this - I read other posts about numbness and tingling, but the symptoms described here are more like mine. Whenever I've returned from a fairly long ride, I can't seem to turn a key with my index finger and thumb. Pushing down on a fork or knife with my index finger, turning the switch on a lamp, buttoning buttons, and other seemingly trivial activities are difficult. I feel so dysfunctional, and this goes on for a couple of days... but I don't want to stop riding. I haven't stopped long enough to see if it subsides...

4. wbmorrison

wbmorrison New Member

I recently also had a fall and completely tore the rotator cuff (superspinatus) in the shoulder of the same hand...and noticed a sharp pain in my neck leading to that shoulder during the ride...perhaps connected???

5. patch70

patch70 New Member

Certainly worth looking into (and not ignoring hoping it will get better by itself!)

6. wbmorrison

wbmorrison New Member

Thanks Patch70. I've seen an Orthopedic surgeon about fixing the rotator cuff, but that was prior to the hand numbness, etc. I was hoping to avoid surgery, but perhaps the lack of muscle/tendon connection in the shoulder could correspond to some nerve issues in the neck. Amazing thing, the body! I'll ask him about the Ulner nerve and whether he might suspect a connection. (PS: My wife thanks you...I have a tendency to brush these things aside and assume they'll sort themselves out!)

7. mfallon

mfallon New Member

Hey wbmorrison. Your the first one I've seen on this board that is from Austin also. Just recently started riding myself (very recently). Hope your hand gets better soon.

Matt

8. stresser

stresser New Member

I'm a neurosurgeon. You have a compression of the ulnar nerve at Guyon's canal (a canal through which the nerve passes at the junction of the base of the palm and the wrist). It should get better within a few weeks if you keep pressure off this part of your hand in the drops. Padded gloves will help too. Incidentally, I had this many years ago mid-way through a 700 mile month-long trip, and it was a nuisance, but should recover completely.

9. mawalther

mawalther New Member

How do you differentiate between a crushed Guyon canal and a cubital tunnel problem. Can you suggest any remedies other than not riding. I quit riding for 6 months and the problem got better; however, the second that I started riding again. The numbness came back.

10. Carrera

Carrera New Member

I'm currently suffering severe pain in my left wrist. I have experienced tingling, needle-like pain while on my bike in the past (around the same wrist). I've tried changing hand positions but am still in virtual agony. The only other thing I might be able to try is wrapping the bars on my bike to increase the cirumference of my grip and maybe alleviate pressure.
    The problem was probably caused by leaning too hard on my wrists but I wonder if anyone else gets wrist pain and how it can be treated?

11. Scott'sTrek1000

Scott'sTrek1000 New Member

I had constant numbness....then quit strapping my gloves. ...it worked. they didn't seem too tight but i guess they were. going without is even better (if you can bear it)..if not, try a big bigger glove or don't strap them.

12. Sheila67

Sheila67 New Member

I had a fall last November 2004. I went to numerous doctors and finally found out that it was my ulner nerve. I had surgery in July and I am still experiencing the pain in my arm and hand but not as bad as before surgery. My doctor released me today and said that I was going to have to live with the pain. Does anyone know if this will get better or will it get worse as I grow older. I have a hard time starting my car and opening my pop bottles, etc. Thanks for any information that you can give me...:confused:

Sheila