Hand numbness

Wisch5200

Jul 1, 2006
I have been riding with my seat height in a new position for about 100 miles now, and my seat bone and numbness on the underside have been iliminated, however now my hands seem to go numb if not moved around fairly often.

Should I change my seat back down lower or maybe forward?

kleng said:
If your seating is about right, I'd just get some Specialized Bar Phat Gel or Fizik Bar Gel. I use the Bar Phat and gel gloves and there is no hand numbness at all.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/reviews/specialized_bar_phat

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/reviews/fizik_bargel

These gel gloves you mention... got a recommendation/source? I could use something like that as I get a lot of hand numbness ( too many years riding and crashing motorbikes...).

I have the Specialized gel inserts on my bike and I wear the Body Geometry gloves and still get numbness. I found the only way to cure that is to keep on moving my hand position around from the hoods to the drops and everywhere in between.

I'd rather have to move my hands around rather than have numb nuts. hehe!

Good luck!

Wisch5200 said:
I have been riding with my seat height in a new position for about 100 miles now, and my seat bone and numbness on the underside have been iliminated, however now my hands seem to go numb if not moved around fairly often.

I think it's theoretically possible to have your bike dialed in so well that you don't get numbness anywhere at all. It's like the holy grail. I've achieved it a couple of times. The problem is (I think) my body changes - I lose or gain a few pounds and/or fitness goes up or down - and I'm back at square-one.

I err on the side of having my hands be the uncomfortable ones. A change in position typically alleviates the numbness right away for me. Usually it's my own fault for not changing positions often enough.

Ulnar neuropathy, cause, compression on yer palms. But u probably figured that one out already. A good aero bar will help. Change positions frequently.

no numbness on your hands before the saddle change makes me think you might be able to change the stem height up/down fore/aft etc to eliminate this...

just a thought

all's'miles

curby

The change has probably put more of your weight forward on your hands. You may need to move your saddle back and down slightly (as moving back slightly increases effective height) you may then also need a shorter stem but should really get a professional bike fitter to sort all this out. It might be worth it in the long term.

Jay

Wisch5200 said:

I agree with the other posters in that you need to move your saddle back, not forward - this will put more weight on your seat and pedals. You may also need to move the bars back and/or up by changing your stem.