Hand Pump

tyler4588

Apr 27, 2006
Hi. I've got a problem. I ride a road bike, and I like to go out without a backpack, so I have a little bag under the saddle to hold my spare tube and patches and such. The problem is that I have a hand pump, but I have no place to put it. I've got two water bottle cages and the bag isnt big enough for the thing, so what can I do? I don't think pocketing it would be a good idea. What other options do I have? Might I have to take a cage off the bike?

Can try a pump that attaches to the top tube of the frame - quite convenient when you're swapping between bikes. I - however - am lazy and just put it in my back pocket and dont even notice that it is there :)

tyler4588 said:
Hi. I've got a problem. I ride a road bike, and I like to go out without a backpack, so I have a little bag under the saddle to hold my spare tube and patches and such. The problem is that I have a hand pump, but I have no place to put it. I've got two water bottle cages and the bag isnt big enough for the thing, so what can I do? I don't think pocketing it would be a good idea. What other options do I have? Might I have to take a cage off the bike?

tyler4588 said:

You have a couple of options: A CO2 inflater which is small and fits in seat bag or jersey pocket, Or a small frame pump that can attach to the seat tube. The CO2 inflaters are quite popular but can sometimes be tricky to use, so if you opt for one be sure and know how to use it before you really need it. The small frame pumps don't reach the pressure that a large one or the CO2 will attain. Some older frames, and maybe some new ones have a "pump peg" that holds the large frame pump under the top tube.

Most Hand pumps come with a mount/clip that fits under the bottlecage so you can clip the pump beside the bottle.

Rockslayer said:
Most Hand pumps come with a mount/clip that fits under the bottlecage so you can clip the pump beside the bottle.
yep, thats what i have always used....perhaps this is a mountain bike solution and roadies have yet to discover it..

MountainPro said:
yep, thats what i have always used....perhaps this is a mountain bike solution and roadies have yet to discover it..
I use a long Blackburn hand pump that is "spring-loaded" and fits under the top tube between the seat tube and down tube. It puts out good pressure and is heaps better than those little mini-pumps for road tires.

TLW said:
I use a long Blackburn hand pump that is "spring-loaded" and fits under the top tube between the seat tube and down tube. It puts out good pressure and is heaps better than those little mini-pumps for road tires.
i have had a few over the years, a Topeak was the best i have ever tried. The quality of the valve connection and the speed of inflation was fantastic. I have never tried Blackburn though....good stuff i hear.

Now use an SKS Weseman, clipped on to 'water bottle cage clips'.

Works just fine mountainpro, and I am only vaguely aware of what a mountain bike is! :p

My mini pump works ok, but no where near as nice as my old Silca or Zefal full size frame pumps... but I am a victim to fashion and the fact that full size pumps 'don't look cool'. :eek:

Edit: typo.

Tyler, have a good look at this one. Look at how it works and consider how light it is. You will need to look at the links!

http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?p=3013837#post3013837

I can't remember who it was that posted on the forum not long afterwards in another place, saying that they had ordered one and found it excellent. Pity we don't have them in Australia!

You could carry it in one of those cycling shirts with a pocket on the back, or alternatively it comes in its own little pouch that will easily strap on the bike. See - How do I carry! It is quite small!

Wow guys, thanks for all the suggestions. They're all awesome. After looking into it a bit more, I've decided to mount it under a water bottle cage. Seems like I should've realized that a long time ago. Thanks guys!

was suggested to me to put my mini pump in a water bottle with a tube and tire iron. it fits too! then i just take one water bottle and my "new" tool kit

Xsmoker said:
You have a couple of options: A CO2 inflater which is small and fits in seat bag or jersey pocket, Or a small frame pump that can attach to the seat tube. The CO2 inflaters are quite popular but can sometimes be tricky to use, so if you opt for one be sure and know how to use it before you really need it. The small frame pumps don't reach the pressure that a large one or the CO2 will attain. Some older frames, and maybe some new ones have a "pump peg" that holds the large frame pump under the top tube.
Of course, the obvious downside of using a CO2 inflator is that your "pumping capacity" is limited to the number of CO2 cartridges you carry. On a ride last Wednesday, I had a flat, but when fixing it was unable to locate the small bit of broken glass embedded in the tire. Got about 1/4 mile on ny spare tube before it failed. Found the glass, patched the tube, but had no more CO2. ("There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over.") Luckily, a friendly wildlife biologist (said he "works with bears!") at a nearby wildlife management area was kind enough to allow me to use the compressor in their tool shed, so I got home OK.