handbuit wheels

fitz

Oct 10, 2005
Bet Im opening a can of worms here!
Any recommendations for wheel builders here in Melbourne ? Ive had experience of 4 so far, all somewhat lacking -sloppy work, constant "retrueing", broken spoke (I'm only 65kg) just plain ornry really. "AH the're **** rims mate "(open pros!!!!) I really want to buy here but internet beckons!

fitz said:
Any recommendations for wheel builders here in Melbourne ? Ive had experience of 4 so far, all somewhat lacking -sloppy work, constant "retrueing", broken spoke (I'm only 65kg) just plain ornry really. "AH the're **** rims mate "(open pros!!!!) I really want to buy here but internet beckons!
I would recommend building them yourself. It is easier than you think and your workmanship will be far better than anyone punching them off a production line.

Since I built my own wheels, I've had only 1 broken spoke (after 4-5 months) and that was after a pretty solid hit. Before that, when I took them to the LBS or got wheels (factory though) I would break them far more often (I'm a biggish bloke).

SCotty

I recommend you just learn and do them yourself too. That is what I am doing. Trying to balance weight versus strength is a trick, and every rider has different needs because of your weight and riding style. The LBS/Wheelbuilder has to guess as to what will fit for you, and sometimes they don't get it right, and it especially true when working with a lite weight wheel.

I have been been working with:
wheelbuilder.com
Might want to check out their site, but I don't know if they ship internationally.

Doing it myself is not really and option - "I havent got hands to wipe my ****", as Confusious say.
but thanks anyway
Fitz:D

fitz said:
Doing it myself is not really and option - "I havent got hands to wipe my ****", as Confusious say.
but thanks anyway
Fitz:D
I've had two sets of wheels handbuilt in Melb. First was 32 spoke Open 4CDs on 105 hubs. They've done about 60,000km. Trued the back one 3 or 4 times, never broken a spoke. I got them from Cecil Walkers and a bloke called Maurie Cramer built them. He was pretty old 13 years ago so he may not be in the business any more.

The second set came from Fitzroy cycles and was built by Stewart McKenzie. 28 spoke capag Omega rims on Ultegra hubs. Similar experience, except that I trashed the rear rim after maybe 20,000km. Stewart works for one of the importers now, so I'm not sure if he's still in the game either.

I've heard Jesse from Spoken is pretty good but I don't have any first hand experience.

Good luck.

Hi Fitz

Okay. I have had a few sets of wheels built now by Peter Moore of Abbotsford Cycles - the best little repair shop in Melbourne. A rear wheel for my tandem (that's a good test if a wheel builder is any good) and a set of Open Pro's. The Mavic Open Pro wheels are 28 spoke on dura ace hubs. Great wheels and I weigh about 78 kgs - so more than you. Light and reliable. In the 18 months these have been on my bike I have not had to touch them. The shop is in Swan St underneath Richmond Station and the phone nbr is 9429 6889. Tell em Howard sent you.

I can build all types of wheels and ship to Melbourne for $25.00.

Kieran. 02 9565 1899

fitz said:

maurie cramer built awesome wheels but unfortunately he passed away a few years ago now (i still have a pair of mavic gel 280's on record titanium hubs he built hanging up). i still get my wheels built up at cecils and still havent had any major problems with them.

I can recommend Andrew at Cycle Science in Glenhuntly Rd Caufield South

Great guy and good wheel builder, he still ties & glues the spokes (if you ask nicely)
He owns the shop so he cares that little bit extra. :D

Fitzroy's & Cecil Walkers also have good wheel builders.

AussieRider said:
he still ties & glues the spokes (if you ask nicely)
I would recomend Cycle Science in Glen Waverly, maybe the above work is done by this guy. He does a lot of work for other shops. He just rebuilt my MTB wheel and took a buckle out of the Road bike rear wheel a few weeks ago. I was looking at the road bike rear wheel last night because it got a bit of a bashing during the ATB ride and it was still perfect, keep in mind I weigh 90kg and the wheel has 24 spokes so he has done something right.

I was in their the other day getting some shift cables and he had just built some 700c wheels for a guy with a high end mountain bike. During the week this guy uses the dual suspension MTB with lockouts as a commuter with the 700c wheels and on the weekends the MTB wheels go back on.