Handle bar reach and drop. How do you measure it?

eortiz

Nov 12, 2003
Can someone tell me where do you measure a handle bar reach and drop? From which point to which point. Thanks.

eortiz said:
Can someone tell me where do you measure a handle bar reach and drop? From which point to which point. Thanks.
Handlebar reach = usually measured from the tip of the saddle to the centre of the bars at the stem.
Handlebar drop = Not sure, maybe draw a straight line from the saddle height, then measure the distance to the bottom of the drops.

eortiz said:
Short answer is that it depends on the definitions. Have seen reach measured from the nose of the saddle to center of bars, like Walrus said. But, believe the Lemond fit formula defines reach simply as the TT length + stem length. EG, a 57.5 cm TT and a 11.0 cm stem would be a "reach" Of 68.5 cm, regardless of seat position.

For "drop", I've seen this expressed as the distance from the saddle top to the top of the bars. You can measure this (on a traditional frame at least) by using the TT as a level reference. EG, if the saddle top is 20 cm above the TT, and the bar top is 10 cm higher than the TT, then you've got a 10 cm drop.

eortiz said:
When you say reach and drop, I'm assuming that you mean for the specific make/model of bar you want, correct? Drop is the measurement from the top of the bar to the drops (on center). Reach is the distance that the bar extends forward from the start of the bends to the furthest forward point. Smaller reach is better for smaller hands to operate the brake/shift levers. A larger drop, means you will be a bit lower when riding in the drops. Most manufacturers will list these numbers. IMHO don't buy a bar based on the numbers. Try different models to see which one fits your hands the best.

PeterF said:
When you say reach and drop, I'm assuming that you mean for the specific make/model of bar you want, correct? Drop is the measurement from the top of the bar to the drops (on center). Reach is the distance that the bar extends forward from the start of the bends to the furthest forward point. Smaller reach is better for smaller hands to operate the brake/shift levers. A larger drop, means you will be a bit lower when riding in the drops. Most manufacturers will list these numbers. IMHO don't buy a bar based on the numbers. Try different models to see which one fits your hands the best.

My apologies for not specifying what I meant. But PeterF's definition is what I was looking for. Thanks for your replies. Another important info for myself.