handle bar shifter distance

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by oznation, Jul 25, 2012.

1. oznation

oznation New Member

So im getting into road bikes and im trying to figure out how if possible to change the amount of "swing" my shifters use. I dont like having to use move my entire hand to shift I want it to be more of a flick. Thanks.

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

With some shifters (Shimano, SRAM) you can adjust how far the lever is from the bar when at rest. This can also be done with all shifters by shimming the shifter body before tightening its clamp on the bar. You can adjust how far the lever travels when braking by adjusting the brake pads, via the barrel adjuster on the brake caliper--so they sit closer to the rim. The trade off is a change in brake feel and less room between pad and rim. As for changing the amount of throw required to shift up or down, you're pretty much limited to buying according to the manufacturer and model with the least throw. I don't know of anyone that has adjustable throw. You will have to try Campy, SRAM, and Shimano to see whose throw works best for you. Note that throw can be different between models within a brand.

3. oznation

oznation New Member

ok thank you for the great explination!

4. oznation

oznation New Member

I have a shimano shifters now. 3 sprokets in front and 7 in back. As I look around at shifters I only see 9-10 gear shifters? What am I missing?

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

You're missing a newer and/or higher spec component group.

6. oznation

oznation New Member

Ok that makes sense. I bough the bike right after High School so its um 1 carry the twelve 7 years ago