Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Handle bar turns but not the fork

Started by Yong Huang · · Last activity · 5 posts · 358 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
18 May 2008
Last activity
19 May 2008
Original author
Yong Huang
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
358
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Sorry for layman's terms. Take this picture as an example:
    http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/webmountainbike_1997_11540645

    I have a regular simple bike. When I fix the position of the front
    wheel with my legs standing in front, the handle bar and stem can
    still be turned. Everything from where the arrow "headset" points at
    down is fixed (does not move), including the big nut, washer, etc. I
    tightened the stem bolt (the one at the top of stem) and the big lock
    nut. Nothing helped at all. I can't figure out how the stem is
    connected to the fork so they swing left and right together. It used
    to work fine and started to have the problem today when I made a quick
    turn today.

    Thanks for help.

    Yong Huang
    yong321 @ yahoo.com

  2. "Yong Huang" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry for layman's terms. Take this picture as an example:
    http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/webmountainbike_1997_11540645

    I have a regular simple bike. When I fix the position of the front
    wheel with my legs standing in front, the handle bar and stem can
    still be turned. Everything from where the arrow "headset" points at
    down is fixed (does not move), including the big nut, washer, etc. I
    tightened the stem bolt (the one at the top of stem) and the big lock
    nut. Nothing helped at all. I can't figure out how the stem is
    connected to the fork so they swing left and right together. It used
    to work fine and started to have the problem today when I made a quick
    turn today.

    This is a problem.

    1) If you have the older type of stem that goes down into the steering tube
    the screw may be loose and just need tightening. Just straighten the bars to
    the correct position and tighten the top screw until it locks do not
    overtighten but make sure that it is snug.

    2) If you have the kind that clamps around the outside of the steering tube
    the clamps may be loose. Just straighten the bars to the correct position
    and tighten the clamps.

    3) Worst case is that the steering tube itself has come loose from the fork
    or broken. This is bad and you cannot ride the bike at this point. The fork
    MUST be replaced.

  3. Yong Huang said:

    Sorry for layman's terms. Take this picture as an example:http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/webmountainbike_1997_11540645

    I have a regular simple bike. When I fix the position of the front
    wheel with my legs standing in front, the handle bar and stem can
    still be turned. Everything from where the arrow "headset" points at
    down is fixed (does not move), including the big nut, washer, etc. I
    tightened the stem bolt (the one at the top of stem) and the big lock
    nut. Nothing helped at all. I can't figure out how the stem is
    connected to the fork so they swing left and right together. It used
    to work fine and started to have the problem today when I made a quick
    turn today.

    The shift (derailleur) cable in that picture is actually the front
    brake cable.

    Kind of tough to diagnose a problem remotely, but you may have
    overtightened the headset (big nut) and not tightened the stem bolt
    enough. In other words you may have clamped the fork in place. Can
    you rotate the fork freely from the bottom? You should be able to.
    Take the front wheel off and grasp the bottom of the fork in one hand
    and try to wiggle it around and rotate it. You should be able to
    rotate it with essentially no effort and there shouldn't be any
    movement besides rotation when you try to wiggle it. If that's all
    good, then what Tom said.

    R

  4. Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:


    1) If you have the older type of stem that goes down into the steering tube
    the screw may be loose and just need tightening. Just straighten the bars to
    the correct position and tighten the top screw until it locks do not
    overtighten but make sure that it is snug.

    That's it. Thanks, Tom. I thought I tightened it. After I read your
    message, I went outside and tried again. The screw was quite loose.
    Since it needs an allen wrench, I probably didn't tighten it enough
    the first time.

    Yong Huang

  5. Yong Huang said:
    Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

    1) If you have the older type of stem that goes down into the steering tube
    the screw may be loose and just need tightening. Just straighten the bars to
    the correct position and tighten the top screw until it locks do not
    overtighten but make sure that it is snug.

    That's it. Thanks, Tom. I thought I tightened it. After I read your
    message, I went outside and tried again. The screw was quite loose.
    Since it needs an allen wrench, I probably didn't tighten it enough
    the first time.

    Yong Huang

    Yong,

    check this out:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html

    make sure you don't have your handlebars too low for your steerer
    (scroll down to the bottom of the page for an explanation.

    nate

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.