handle pressing on my wrist nerve

stevechow

Mar 11, 2006
i do not know how to adjust the handle. now it's pressing on my left wrist. and i stop holding it too tight. now the handle bar is around 10-15 degrees pushed higher the handlebar. there are three rings on the stem. i have used one ring and can adjust higher two more rings. alternative i can adjust the stem by turning the handle to a lower/higher degree. :D :D

Steve
an angry rider

stevechow said:
i do not know how to adjust the handle. now it's pressing on my left wrist. and i stop holding it too tight. now the handle bar is around 10-15 degrees pushed higher the handlebar. there are three rings on the stem. i have used one ring and can adjust higher two more rings. alternative i can adjust the stem by turning the handle to a lower/higher degree.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
If I understand what you are saying, then the next time you are at Target/WalMart/KMart, go to their bike section & see if they have any BMX bikes ... check the width of the handlebars & see if THAT would be wide enough for you ... if so, then go to DANSCOMP.COM and order a BMX handlebar.

Of course, you may be able to simply go to your local bike shop to buy a BMX handlebar, but they would probably have to order the handlebar unless they specialize in BMX bikes (some do, most don't) but your selection from DansComp will be better.

When your wrist problem goes away, then you can go back to a normal handle bar (I'm presuming you've currently got MTB-type bars on the particular bike).

IF you simply want to raise your stem, I presume the bike is relatively new, so just bring it back to the shop & have them move the OTHER TWO spacers below the stem ... it's a 5-minute (or, less) job & they should be able to do it while you are standing there. Watch them do it. It's not rocket science. You simply need either a 4mm and/or 5mm Allen wrench (depending on the top cap & stem) + the minimal mechanical skills you could/should have learned in the HS shop class you probably didn't take because you thought those classes didn't have any more value than the math/history/English/whatever classes that some people cannot understand needing to take.

check the seat angle. If you are sliding forward it wil cause pressure on your hands. your weight may just be too far forward.

PeterF said:
check the seat angle. If you are sliding forward it wil cause pressure on your hands. your weight may just be too far forward.
what is the right seat angle. is there a standard :p :p yesterday i hold the handlebar lower after the rounded area and it's better.

You need to check the fore/aft position of your saddle. If your saddle is too far forward, you'll load your arms too much. Fore/aft saddle position is set by having your knees properly positioned over the pedal spindles. A very rough rule of thumb is that if the saddle is in the rightish position, you should be able to lift your hands off the handlebar and not struggle to remain in position. Steve Hogg, of Cycling News and a well known fitter in Australia says the rightish spot is when can do that at 25mph. Somewhere in between those two rules of thumb is the right answer.

It's also possible you might have a stem that's too long.

A third possibility is that you're on a frame with a too-long top tube.