Handle stem

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by ufatbastehd, Apr 13, 2006.

  1. ufatbastehd

    ufatbastehd Guest

    I have a Trek 1000c which I bought from a LBS that's to small for me. I
    have the seat all the way back and its just not long enough.

    Does anybody know if longer handelbar stems are available for this
    model?

    Tags:

  2. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 13 Apr 2006 07:03:06 -0700, "ufatbastehd" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have a Trek 1000c which I bought from a LBS that's to small for me. I
    >have the seat all the way back and its just not long enough.
    >
    >Does anybody know if longer handelbar stems are available for this
    >model?

    It sounds like the bike shop should have done a better job of fitting
    that bike before they sold it to you.

    Any decent bike shop should have potential replacement stems on hand
    or readily available in a variety of lengths and angles; the one on
    the Trek is not unusual, and there are numerous potential replacements
    on the market.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  3. ufatbastehd

    ufatbastehd Guest

    Thanks

    yep the Bike shop did the wrong thing by me, needless to say I will not

    The 1000c I thought had a different stem as is the comfort model, guess
    I was wrong

  4. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 13 Apr 2006 08:38:05 -0700, "ufatbastehd" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Thanks
    >
    >yep the Bike shop did the wrong thing by me, needless to say I will not
    >
    >The 1000c I thought had a different stem as is the comfort model, guess
    >I was wrong

    It probably does have a different stem than the comfort bike; the road
    bars usually have a different bar clamp diameter than the flat bars,
    but road stems freely interchange between makes and models of bikes as
    long as the clamp and steerer diameters are the same. Lots of
    aftermarket sources for useful stems are around as well.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  5. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On 13 Apr 2006 08:38:05 -0700, "ufatbastehd" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks
    >
    >yep the Bike shop did the wrong thing by me, needless to say I will not
    >
    >The 1000c I thought had a different stem as is the comfort model, guess
    >I was wrong

    These are fairly standard parts. Or rather almost all of them fall within one
    of the several standards that apply. And, they are available in a wide variety
    of angles and lengths in each of the several standards, including adjustable.

    Any well stocked bike shop will be able to square you away.

    What's the deal on this bike, they sell you something the wrong size and then
    shrug when you complained?

    Ron

  6. ufatbastehd

    ufatbastehd Guest

    As a new biker I did'nt realize that the length was important, as I
    started to increase my distance I was becoming more uncomfortable, so I
    moved my seat as far back as it would go.

    When I graduated to clipless pedals I went to a different bike shop,
    the saw the seat way back said it was not safe and confirmed when I
    was on the trainer the bike was to small.

    I should have bought a better bike anyway, not a comfort model as
    well. So now I'm selling it and plan to buy a new one for myself on
    Fathers Day. I rushed into this but without researching so its all my
    fault. Next purchase will be researched and at a different bike shop

  7. ufatbastehd

    ufatbastehd Guest

    As a new biker I did'nt realize that the length was important, as I
    started to increase my distance I was becoming more uncomfortable, so I
    moved my seat as far back as it would go.

    When I graduated to clipless pedals I went to a different bike shop,
    the saw the seat way back said it was not safe and confirmed when I
    was on the trainer the bike was to small.

    I should have bought a better bike anyway, not a comfort model as
    well. So now I'm selling it and plan to buy a new one for myself on
    Fathers Day. I rushed into this buy without researching so its all my
    fault. Next purchase will be researched and at a different bike shop