handlebar angle question

warbritton914

Sep 5, 2006
am new to the road bike world and can't figure out the proper angle for my handlebars. i ride every day totaling about 90 miles a week, not racing, just exercise. any advice would be appreciated.

warbritton914 said:
am new to the road bike world and can't figure out the proper angle for my handlebars. i ride every day totaling about 90 miles a week, not racing, just exercise. any advice would be appreciated.
It differs with different bars - just make sure they're comfy for you. Adjust them and see what feels best.

I find myself leaning on the brake hoods a lot - if the bars aren't angled right this soon becomes mightily uncomfortable.

wheelist said:
It differs with different bars - just make sure they're comfy for you. Adjust them and see what feels best.

I find myself leaning on the brake hoods a lot - if the bars aren't angled right this soon becomes mightily uncomfortable.
I agree, I ride the tops and I have to have the top of the bar angled flat to maybe a 1/4 inch higher.

I ride the hoods a lot too, but I like mine angled slightly down. I am using the drops more and more in anticipation of winter winds and for a change of position of longer rides.

You want the drops to be positioned properly too so that is also a consideration. If you have an anatomic bar, this is even more important that if you have a variable radius as the anatomic bar only allows for one drop position so you want it to be just right.

As long as you don't have them in some outrageous position, it is all about 1) comfort, 2) position on the bike to get out of the wind - in that order for me and probably in the opposite order for a racer.

I also find that I dont use the drops very much, I tend to ride the hoods but
after a bit, I find that my hands get numb if I don't move them around. One
way I do that is to ride the corner of the top bar with the first 2 fingers in front and the other 2 fingers and thumb behind the bar. This puts the "bar pressure" onto the front of the hand allowing the back to recover some blood supply...

don't know if anyone else does this but it does work for me...

I keep my hoods very high compared to other riders. When I feel my hands start to go numb I change position as often as possible. Sometimes I point my elbows out, thumbs along the back of the bar, heels of my palms along the bar going to the hoods and do semi push ups to get the blood circulating.

I am finding there are 3 issues with handlebar position... this does not include proper sizing...

1. Angle of the top section of bars as they enter the hoods.

2. Angle of the drops for riding in them and sprinting.

3. Position of brifters.

As I like a flat top bar as it enters the hoods, I had to raise the bars to get them flat. This made the brifters too high so I had to undo the handlebar tape, reposition the brifters, then redo the tape. I have bars that are not parallel. Meaning the top and bottom are not at the same angle. I will need to buy some bars that are parallel as the bottoms are now on a funny angle upwards. Some people like them like that, I don't. Some people like the bottoms flat like me, but don't mind the tops sloping forward into the hoods.

Play with them and ride a little in between each adjustment. Getting them right is as important as correct saddle choice and position.

I'll post some pics when I get home...

fauxpas said:
I am finding there are 3 issues with handlebar position... this does not include proper sizing...

1. Angle of the top section of bars as they enter the hoods.

2. Angle of the drops for riding in them and sprinting.

3. Position of brifters.

As I like a flat top bar as it enters the hoods, I had to raise the bars to get them flat. This made the brifters too high so I had to undo the handlebar tape, reposition the brifters, then redo the tape. I have bars that are not parallel. Meaning the top and bottom are not at the same angle. I will need to buy some bars that are parallel as the bottoms are now on a funny angle upwards. Some people like them like that, I don't. Some people like the bottoms flat like me, but don't mind the tops sloping forward into the hoods.

Play with them and ride a little in between each adjustment. Getting them right is as important as correct saddle choice and position.

I'll post some pics when I get home...
I don't have brifters but I recognize similarities to my problem, I have raised the bar angle because the brake hoods are too low for me. Unfortunately, the brakes are taped so that I can't adjust them with out taking the tape off and retaping... and I was more interested in riding the bike rather than playing with re-taping the handlebars... now that its fall, I think I will have to undo the tape, and play around with the angle of the bar, and the position of the
brakes and then retape...

and please do post some pics as I would like to see what you have as a setup...

Here's what I mean...

Bars.jpg

Luca Paulini's bars below are the closest to what I want...

Luca_1.jpg

ok, I see, and yeah, I agree with you on that. I also prefer the top and bottom of the bar to be parallel...

Some of the new anatomic bars are good, some aren't... For me, I just gotta keep on the lookout for a set that will do the job and at my size... 40cm...

I find comfort is the most important question on handlebar positioning. As someone said above, experiment a little yourself, see whats best for you.

For me, i find fauxpas's theory the most comfortable for moi.